Pre-Order from other stores?

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
ArmoredCavalry

Pre-Order from other stores?

Postby ArmoredCavalry » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:25 am

Hi,
I'd love to pre-order Trine 2. Any chance it will be put up on other digital stores besides Steam (like gamer's gate or greenmangaming?).

FB_Lauri

Re: Pre-Order from other stores?

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:10 pm

Other digital stores will follow "shortly", it's just very busy times at the moment :)

ArmoredCavalry

Postby ArmoredCavalry » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:34 am

FB_Lauri wrote:Other digital stores will follow "shortly", it's just very busy times at the moment :)

Ah, no problem, I can understand that. :D

Keep up the great work!

Nono

Postby Nono » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:02 am

Is Steam required to install and play the retail game ? It's not a big deal for me, if your game doesn't require another game platform at the same time (like Game For Windows Live). But I just want to know...

hawk

Postby hawk » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:31 am

Hi. I would like to pre-order Trine 2 ASAP! But I do not want to use Steam to buy and play it because Steam is a terribly written program on my OS (Mac). Also, I do not like the Mac App Store (for different reasons), so I hope I can buy the game from you and play it without bothering with those two programs, like I could with Trine.

And could I pre-order the Collector's Edition as well?

Thanks, and many congratulations on nearly having completed what I think is going to be an interactive masterpiece!

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:38 pm

In the very beginning Steamworks is required in all channels, and in most channels we want to keep it that way to ease updating and to allow multiplayer.

However, for Linux and Mac App Store we can't use Steamworks, so we will eventually bring DRM-free option as well. (say, when the game doesn't need constant support any more and we have time to do other versions). And don't get me wrong, it already should be soon in a very good condition, as fast as we just get all PC/Mac features done (controls configuration, improved text chat, some random small issues).

Steamworks is only DRM we allow in digital channels. A very few retail channel may use some sort of copy protection (like Russia). Nothing is more annoying than a game in Steam telling it includes also 3rd-party DRM.

Nono

Postby Nono » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:03 am

Right. So I'm gonna become a steam whore (again). As it's a good platform for indie multiplayer games, I'll stick with this.

Thank you for the informations, and for doing great games !

NeatNit

Postby NeatNit » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:46 am

Personally I kind of need Steam. Not only are all my games in it, but all my friends are in it too. I have Steam running at all times even though I spend most of my time around the web, only because I like to chat with my friends. This is true for most Steam users I think. But I completely understand where you're coming from - you see an overly complex platform with the only purpose of doing a simple task - download your game. If someone has to download and sign up for Steam just to download one game, I really can see that it's a pointless hassle. So sorry, you're stuck with it unless you're reeeeaaaally patient. :)

Steam will change from a hassle to a good thing as soon as you start using it to chat with your friends :)

Nono

Postby Nono » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:24 pm

Sure, it's a good platform for gamers. But it's way better when it's well mixed in the game. The games which totally includes Steam are rare. I mean, even in Left for Dead 2, some commmunity actions (like Invite a friend) need the overlay. I don't like to be put out of the game.

hawk

Postby hawk » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:14 am

Hi again. Does the physical collector's edition that was announced recently mean that I will be able to play Trine 2 without Steam and the Mac App Store on my mac? Who will I and will I not be able to play multiplayer with in that case?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:11 pm

All physical versions use and require Steam.

We will also launch Mac App Store version and later DRM-free versions at least in our own store. Those versions have obviously their own separate matchmaking system (unless we figure out how to use Steam without using Steam 8))

hawk

Postby hawk » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:23 pm

Okay, I have to wait :(

Thanks.

Niko838

Postby Niko838 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:32 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:All physical versions use and require Steam.

We will also launch Mac App Store version and later DRM-free versions at least in our own store. Those versions have obviously their own separate matchmaking system (unless we figure out how to use Steam without using Steam 8))

I've seen a few mentions about Frozenbyte's "own store" but haven't been able to find it yet, where is it? :?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:37 pm

Niko838 wrote:I've seen a few mentions about Frozenbyte's "own store" but haven't been able to find it yet, where is it? :?

It's not yet live, but we'll do it shortly. 8)

hawk

Postby hawk » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:01 am

When is the non-Steam, non-MAS collector's edition coming? Soon?

Return to “Trine 2”