Trine 2 Beta technical issues thread

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
fb_joel
Site Admin

Trine 2 Beta technical issues thread

Postby fb_joel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:33 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the feedback so far on the Beta. I figured it will be easier/faster for everyone if we can post most of the technical issues in this thread instead of the bigger Beta feedback thread.

So please post your tech problems here and we'll get to them. Feel free to post technical hiccups or other not-so-major problems as well.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Ravenbar

Re: Trine 2 Beta technical issues thread

Postby Ravenbar » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:14 pm

Issue 1: In the other thread I said that SLI no longer causes hitching. But now it seems the game isn't actually running in SLI, since I checked the GPU2 usage which is close to 0.

My original text is below. I've since fixed the screenshot issue, so Trine 2 seems to run in proper fullscreen mode.

One possible cause for this is that SLI requires fullscreen. Ostensibly the game runs in full screen, but when trying to use printscreen and pasting into Paint, I get a shot of the desktop. So maybe it's not actually full screen mode, and thus SLI isn't running? nVidia Control Panel says there's a predefined SLI setting for Trine 2, so that's probably not the issue.

So it's simply not doing SLI. Hopefully this doesn't mean the hitching will be back once it's fixed and running.
UPDATE: Forcing AFR2 (Alternate Frame Rendering 2) seems to put the second card to use. When doing this I got a prompt asking if I want to deviate from the predefined settings. The settings may not engage or they are improperly defined. Either way, AFR2 feels pretty good so far, better than Trine 1 in SLI mode. You mentioned you're using a new engine, maybe one of the programmers spent some time on this particular issue? :)

Issue 2: If I choose Automatic refresh rate, I notice a performance loss when I turn on FXAA (custom solution, can be turned on and off dynamically with Pause/Break, it's neat stuff :) ). But if I choose 120hz instead of Automatic, then it's much less noticeable when I turn on FXAA. So Automatic isn't picking the highest refresh rate? However, although 120hz rocks for gaming, I'm not sure why anti-aliasing performance would be affected by it beyond general frame rate.

Issue 3: Sound effects sometimes stop working after loading a save. The menu sounds still play, including the sound effects slider bar notice. Still no sounds from swinging weapons, running, jumping etc. Haven't encountered the problem upon starting a level anew.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:54 pm

Nice notes. :) We haven't spent any time on SLI yet, so it not working by default is not a surprise. We will try to focus on this in late November.

Not sure why the framerate would be affected by the frequency but we'll look into it.

The sound issue is interesting - does this only happen with SLI enabled?
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Ravenbar

Postby Ravenbar » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:08 pm

Nope, happened in single GPU mode as well.

But I may have found the source. It seems when you enter the main menu, it takes a few seconds for the sound system to load. If the game is resumed (through "Resume game" or Single Player -> latest save) before this has happened, either by starting the game and going "click to start" and resuming quickly, or doing it after exiting to the main menu from ingame, sound effects ingame won't play.

By waiting for the background music to start in the main menu, and the menu "clacks" when moving the mouse cursor across options to be audible, it seems this problem is avoided.

AshioHsiao

Postby AshioHsiao » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:43 am

I found a bug in Trine 2 beta! If I have any FPS monitoring software open, like Afterburner, FRAPS, or Dxtory, the game will launch then hang or quit to desktop. I have to get to the menu, then alt.tab out to open those programs.

Kein

Postby Kein » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:23 am

AshioHsiao wrote:I found a bug in Trine 2 beta! If I have any FPS monitoring software open, like Afterburner, FRAPS, or Dxtory, the game will launch then hang or quit to desktop. I have to get to the menu, then alt.tab out to open those programs.

I have both FRAPS and Afterburner in resident mode but cannot reproduce the bug.

AshioHsiao

Postby AshioHsiao » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:37 pm

Kein wrote:
AshioHsiao wrote:I found a bug in Trine 2 beta! If I have any FPS monitoring software open, like Afterburner, FRAPS, or Dxtory, the game will launch then hang or quit to desktop. I have to get to the menu, then alt.tab out to open those programs.

I have both FRAPS and Afterburner in resident mode but cannot reproduce the bug.

Hmmm... perhaps it's D3DOverrider + fps monitoring program? Coz' I have that open, too. Will give it a try later.

chris

Postby chris » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:29 pm

1. maybe i am blind: where can i bind my keys? i am lefthanded and hate the wasd setup...
2. after hitting esc and then toggling multiple controllers i cant see my character / move around / do anything. i still see and hear the game (animations like the light shining through the window in the first level are still there). i can only alt tab and restart the game?!

Kein

Postby Kein » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:49 pm

chris wrote:1. maybe i am blind: where can i bind my keys? i am lefthanded and hate the wasd setup...

Not yet added.

Jake775

Postby Jake775 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:00 pm

I have a problem: The game DOESN'T react to any of controls! First it was ok, everything worked as it should. But then I decided to check "multiple keyboard/mouse" (or something like that) option. Now it doesn't react to anything! Neither keyboard, nor any of the two mices, neither Xbox 360 controller. Before clicking that option all of them worked normally. But now I can't even change it back! I can't get past screen "Click here to start"! I can activate Steam-community, but can't enter the options! I read smth on Steam forums about pushing F8 to bring up ingame console to change values - but it doesn't react. I have USB-keyboard, not PS/2, maybe that's the reason, I dunno. I even deleted Trine 2 Beta and reinstalled, but that didn't help, because Steam, I suppose, have saved the options in its cloud... you've made a wonderfull game... but how I'm supposed to play it now??.. I can't do ANYTHING in it...

Eccho

Postby Eccho » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:16 am

@Jake775

Hi!

As far as I know, preferences for the game is not saved in the steamcloud, but in the appdata folder.
If you have windows 7, the path to where Trine2 saved the options is C:\Users\<your_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Trine2
In there, there should be an options.txt

Try deleting the file - it would erase all your graphics settings and other things, but it would allow you to manually reconfigure your options when starting the game again next time.

Or perhaps an alternative, look at it, and you should see a line:
"setOption(inputModule, "MultipleKeyboardsAndMiceEnabled", true)"
try setting that true value to false, and see if it revert back to standard.

//Regards

Jake775

Postby Jake775 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:15 pm

Eccho wrote:Or perhaps an alternative, look at it, and you should see a line:
"setOption(inputModule, "MultipleKeyboardsAndMiceEnabled", true)"
try setting that true value to false, and see if it revert back to standard.

That fixed the issue! Now it's working as it was. Thanks!

Thronlun

Postby Thronlun » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:18 am

Tried a 3 player multiplayer tonight. Lag is still a problem after latest patch but not as bad as it was. Get some stutters and the odd 30s-1min gameplay segment every so often with lag. Also periodically getting a slow motion type effect, sometimes only affects 1 other char sometimes both(but mainly only 1 for some reason).

Alex1349

NVidia 3DTV Play

Postby Alex1349 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:05 pm

Hello

I'm one of the many users playing only in stereovision - once you've seen it, there's no going back to 2D.
Trine 1 was my most favorite game in stereovision. Despite of being a 2D platformer, the level graphics where fully rendered in 3D and so gorgeous, it would almost be a waste just to see them only rendered on a 2D screen. So I really looked forward to Trine 2. I even changed my stereo setup from dual head projection to standard mainstream HDMI 1.4a using NVidia 3DTV Play to get maximum compatibility with games and so far every game could be tuned or limited to be playable in stereovision.
With the Trine 2 Beta, I had no luck so far: The right eye image contains glow artifacts from the left eye image and the left eye image has distorted post-processing. Here are my tweaks so far:

setOption(renderingModule, "MaxSpotLights", 0)
setOption(renderingModule, "ScreenWidth", 1280)
setOption(renderingModule, "ScreenHeight", 720)
setOption(renderingModule, "RefreshRate", 59)
setOption(renderingModule, "VSync", true)
setOption(renderingModule, "ShowGlow", false)
setOption(renderingModule, "EnableSway", false)
setOption(renderingModule, "RedCorrection", 0)
setOption(renderingModule, "GreenCorrection", 0)
setOption(renderingModule, "BlueCorrection", 0)
setOption(renderingModule, "MaximumBufferedFrames", 0)
setOption(renderingModule, "AntiAliasSamples", 0)
setOption(renderingModule, "PostProcessAntiAliasing", true)
setOption(renderingModule, "VertexBufferOptimization", false)
setOption(renderingModule, "ShaderOptimization", false)
setOption(renderingModule, "ReflectionEnabled", false)
setOption(renderingModule, "DistortionEnabled", false)
setOption(renderingModule, "DistortionReflection", false)

Is there any way to strip down the rendering so NVidia 3D vision driver would be able to create the separate left and right eye images like in Trine 1?

right eye image: http://postimage.org/image/watscvtff/
left eye image: http://postimage.org/image/3zqlyt323/

Please have a heart for us stereoscopic fans. The future is ours..

Drufle

Postby Drufle » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:50 am

I seem to have a different problem in that the game won't start at all for me; the launcher comes up, I adjust the settings, hit start, and nothing happens. I've tried with many different settings and always get the same result; nothing.

NeatNit

Postby NeatNit » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:58 am

Alex1349 wrote:3D talk

Please have a heart for us stereoscopic fans. The future is ours..
I can't find the link right now, but I remember a dev saying they'll try to fix it some time after launch.

I must say, after getting a 3DS, I vowed that my next screen/GPU will be 3D-compatible. Still got a lot of time till I upgrade though :)

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:36 pm

We will support Nvidia 3D eventually, but most likely the patch will come post-launch. There's quite a lot to do in the meanwhile .. :)

rtov

Postby rtov » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:05 pm

Does Trine 2 work on Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard)?

Nst

Postby Nst » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:01 pm

Hello. I have got this strange looking (and flowing) water:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/63298 ... 910B4119A/
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/63298 ... 202C959C8/

I really don't know what I exactly did to get it. This water issue was permanent until I moved wooden tray at top of screen.

I found out that possible to get non-permanent wrong flow for 1-4 seconds.
1. You'll need to go as wizard to the spot from 1st screenshot.
2. Lift any object (for example box) on top of screen above him.
3. Release it and quickly push down wooden tray while object falling.

Well... it'll hit Amadeus (sorry for that) and push him (I guess he must be pushed to the right) then water will ignore movement of the tray for brief moment.

First time I didn't used this trick. I just tested how I can move around second wooden tray (with A+D keys) that was on the the ground. I think I even haven't moved wizard at first time.

Alex Steiner

Postby Alex Steiner » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:28 pm

I just encountered a bug (sorry if this belongs elsewhere).

I was playing wizard in Single Player Forlorn Wilderness, and I wanted to try rebinding a key, but I bumped the "Multiple Keyboard" button to On. I reset it and tried to continue as normal. Instead I was told "Player 1 Disconnected", and when I left the menu the wizard had disappeared and the game accepted no input (not even Esc). I eventually had to bring up task manager and close it that way.

Hope this helps, and if you need any info, just ask.

Kein

Postby Kein » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:14 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:There should be a character swap system for 3-player classic mode, ie. when anyone wants to change her character that character portrait flashes in the left corner for 5 seconds, indicating the swap window. 8)

Okay, i tested it and the issue is still here: I was able to call out the swap first time, but ut didn't work afterwards. The icon just didn't want to appear.

Neck

Postby Neck » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:33 pm

Two things about the beta:

-it requires directx 9 (some specific version of it) which is not present on a clean install of windows 7 64bit. Need to install directX to fix the error (missing d3dx9_38.dll when running trine_32bit.exe directly or silent crashing after launcher).

-Please let us pick our server! I've done one multi game which was fine appart from monsters' arrows lagging a bit. But the following ones kept sending us on somewhere with 1000 average ping, totally unplayable with chars bouncing around, rubberbanding, teleporting, etc. This remind me of the L4D nightmare where you had to restart each game about 20 times until you get a half decent server.

This said the game looks gorgeous and is really fun, special mention to the "levitate enemies" ability :twisted:

Kein

Postby Kein » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:44 am

Neck wrote:-Please let us pick our server!

Who said that Trine uses matchmaking system like L4D? So far I see that hoster host's the server, at last mine always was hosted on my PC. When I tried to connect to other hosts the connection was emulated via so-called "Steam bridge" because, apparently, some ports weren't open on home boxes of the creator.

Neck

Postby Neck » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:24 pm

Kein wrote:Who said that Trine uses matchmaking system like L4D? So far I see that hoster host's the server, at last mine always was hosted on my PC. When I tried to connect to other hosts the connection was emulated via so-called "Steam bridge" because, apparently, some ports weren't open on home boxes of the creator.

Well then something is horribly wrong with the "steam bridge". My friend who I was trying to play with lives a few kilometres away, if I ping him directly I get <14ms, but in game ping was constantly above 1000ms :? . Although I guess if this isn't Frozenbyte's technology there isn't much they can do. Any info on ports needed open for a direct connection?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:15 pm

Neck wrote:-it requires directx 9 (some specific version of it) which is not present on a clean install of windows 7 64bit. Need to install directX to fix the error (missing d3dx9_38.dll when running trine_32bit.exe directly or silent crashing after launcher).

We should get this fixed for the final release.

Neck wrote:-Please let us pick our server! I've done one multi game which was fine appart from monsters' arrows lagging a bit. But the following ones kept sending us on somewhere with 1000 average ping, totally unplayable with chars bouncing around, rubberbanding, teleporting, etc. This remind me of the L4D nightmare where you had to restart each game about 20 times until you get a half decent server.

There is no dedicated servers but all network traffic is directly between clients. You can pick from the game/client list whoever you want to play. Friends-only game is of course the safest :)

Neck wrote:This said the game looks gorgeous and is really fun, special mention to the "levitate enemies" ability :twisted:

Thanks! :D

Neck wrote:
Kein wrote:Who said that Trine uses matchmaking system like L4D? So far I see that hoster host's the server, at last mine always was hosted on my PC. When I tried to connect to other hosts the connection was emulated via so-called "Steam bridge" because, apparently, some ports weren't open on home boxes of the creator.

Well then something is horribly wrong with the "steam bridge". My friend who I was trying to play with lives a few kilometres away, if I ping him directly I get <14ms, but in game ping was constantly above 1000ms :? . Although I guess if this isn't Frozenbyte's technology there isn't much they can do. Any info on ports needed open for a direct connection?

The connection should be direct and not routing thru anything. That said, we definitely need to inspect this, but if you also could it would be very helpful!

Return to “Trine 2”