Trine 2 Beta technical issues thread

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
Nst

Re: Trine 2 Beta technical issues thread

Postby Nst » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:04 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruVNprZlV2E
I have managed to save video with water bug. It's still isn't what I want because it requires to hold wooden tray. If it's released then water started to flow as it supposed to do.

Loge

Postby Loge » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:24 am

Found a bug as well:

Happened as I was using Pontius's shield to push the ramp from the right side, and then jumped. Pontius flew backwards and then descended shield-first onto the ramp and slide across it till he hit the box, with graphical glitches appearing in the process.

Also, it appears that the Snail can't be solo'ed by Pontius because the ramp gets stuck on the ground, is that intentional? Seems ironic to me that we have resort to using a magician to move a plank.

EDIT: replaced image as it appears on forum with thumbnail.

Kein

Postby Kein » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:59 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:The connection should be direct and not routing thru anything. That said, we definitely need to inspect this, but if you also could it would be very helpful!

I noticed this feature of Steam while playing Alien Swarm. Sometimes, when the required ports on the server's machine being closed, Steam emulates the connection between server-client. At last this is what is happen as far as I can see - only Steam being network-active, the application itself does not make any network request. Happened once for Trine 2 as well, when I was connected to the host but trine_32bit.exe didn't send any data a t all.

I find it weird tho, because Trine 2 has no integration with steamworks engine/service.

Quandrastorm

Postby Quandrastorm » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:43 pm

so i went to option, and selected mutiple keyboard / mouse option
just for testing purposes as i only have 1 keybord (and 2 mouses). and a xbox controller + some other controller.
well i ended up having no control over trine at all. :P

i could still ALT + TAB out ofi t and thne close it in windows. once i restarted trine it was fine

[HTML]<HR>[/HTML]

sometimes it is posable to make a cube whit the wizzard that is somewhat stuck in his head. after you do a sidestep it stays hanging in the air

horseflesh

Postby horseflesh » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:15 pm

A few issue's I've encountered so far.

The first is that the game will not launch in full screen mode. I have to launch it in a window to get it to launch.

The second issue is one previously mentioned by some, which is a small strip of silver will appear to the front of the warrior, whose name escapes me at the moment.

The third, and perhaps the worst, is being unable to use the levers, without which it seems to be impossible to advance through one of the rooms. Perhaps I'm not doing something, but I am hitting the 'e' key, which obviously works on my keyboard.

Also, thanks for making a sequel to the original. The original was great, and this looks to be similarly great. A better fleshed-out version of the original. looks beautiful by the way.

Nst

Postby Nst » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:39 pm

horseflesh wrote:The third, and perhaps the worst, is being unable to use the levers, without which it seems to be impossible to advance through one of the rooms. Perhaps I'm not doing something, but I am hitting the 'e' key, which obviously works on my keyboard.

You probably don't use A/D keys that needed to move them.

Elvick

Postby Elvick » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:30 pm

horseflesh wrote:The third, and perhaps the worst, is being unable to use the levers, without which it seems to be impossible to advance through one of the rooms. Perhaps I'm not doing something, but I am hitting the 'e' key, which obviously works on my keyboard..

Levers aren't automatic anymore, you have to manually move them with 'a' and 'd'. And you can get through the levels without using them anyway, so I don't see how you could get stuck. Break open the thing with rock instead of bringing down the platform, bring boxes and conjure them to get up. (I didn't even know there was a lever to bring down a platform until playing online and someone doing it)

Then in the bubble area just use a conjured box (or something else) to push a bubble to the other side while standing on it.

I don't remember any other ones in the levels in the beta.

horseflesh

Postby horseflesh » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:37 pm

Ah, this must be the problem, thank you. :P

darthyoda6

Postby darthyoda6 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:26 pm

Quandrastorm wrote:sometimes it is posable to make a cube whit the wizzard that is somewhat stuck in his head. after you do a sidestep it stays hanging in the air

I think what Quand means is on the second level when you try to do the bouncing on a box on the three bouncing mushrooms right by where the bubbles float up into the spikes, is if you are bouncing around, and a box is bouncing around, if the box hit's you on the head while you are on the mushroom you can't jump anymore, but you can move sideways. But when it moves, it glides not walks. If you're on the end mushrooms you just glide of and then you can jump again, but if you're on the middle mushroom the on;y way to get unstuck is to switch characters.

Also, right there between the mushrooms and the bubbles I had a crate besides the bubble and I had the knight selected, and somehow the graphics showed a swinging sword, but the sword in his hand didn't move. I tried replace this, but one I moved I couldn't do it again.

A third bug I found was I replaying the first level, and as the wizard I just rowed up the first bubble onto the ledge, and right past that the ground goes back down again. And in the valley there's a log that pivots but doesn't move. I used the magic to press down on the far side of the log then jumped down under the log, but then the log pinned me into place and I couldn't get back out of the log. All I could do was quit back to the main level. I tried doing a print screen, but it just took a shot of Windows, not the game, so I didn't know how else to take screen shots.

MiloDron

Postby MiloDron » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:34 am

I'm having a weird bug with the options screen when the game starts. Steam comes up and says its starting the game and then, only for about a second, I get the options screen where I can choose my settings. I'm able to play the game just fine (mostly, it involved figuring out where the 'start game' button will appear and clicking furiously) but I don't have the reflexes to make it look any nicer before the screen goes away. After that nothing happens unless I've managed to hit the start game button in time. Otherwise its running beautifully!

Kein

Postby Kein » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Weird bug, hmm... what if you try to start trine2_launcher.exe from:
x:\...\Steam\steamapps\common\trine 2 beta\
without Steam?

In any case, you can edit game settings there:
x:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Trine2\options.txt

Sandstein

Postby Sandstein » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:33 pm

So at first. Great job for the programmers. Since the last update i can play Trine 2 better than before.
I dont know what you have done but it works :-)
Before the update i played with 1360x768, Antialiasing: Off, Details: Low ... for a normal gameplay.
Now i can play with 1360x768, Antialiasing: Middle, Details: Middle for a normal gameplay.

Ok, i play on a notebook and i will test Trine 2 on my other maschine but on my notebook it works better now.

Here my configuration:
Windows 7
Intel Core Duo2 T6500 2.1 Ghz
4GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce G210M / 256 MB Ram

So i know now what i play when i'm on tour with my notebook :-)

Oh.... and a little bug:
When the wizard paint a L he cast a box. Normaly he should paint a box to cast a box or not ?!

MiloDron

Postby MiloDron » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:06 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply, that fixed it. Still not quite sure why the shortcut doesn't work but damn, that game looks amazing on these higher settings... Will be recommending it to all my friends!

Shafk

Postby Shafk » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:10 pm

XBox 360 Controller works with latest Trine2 beta but if you remove the controller and try to play with mouse/Keyboard1 configuration even resetting to defaults doesn't allow the WASD keys to be used for Movement.

Retested with Nov 18 build, problem still occurs.

The good news is the Configuration settings in the launcher now remember the Screen resolution.

Below is the current options.txt file:

setOption(localeModule, "GuiLanguage", "en")
setOption(localeModule, "SubtitleLanguage", "en")
setOption(localeModule, "AudioLanguage", "en")

setOption(renderingModule, "MaxSpotLights", 50)
setOption(renderingModule, "ScreenWidth", 1920)
setOption(renderingModule, "ScreenHeight", 1080)
setOption(renderingModule, "RefreshRate", 0)
setOption(renderingModule, "VSync", false)
setOption(renderingModule, "ShowGlow", true)
setOption(renderingModule, "EnableSway", true)
setOption(renderingModule, "ValidateAnimationEvents", false)
setOption(renderingModule, "Windowed", false)
setOption(renderingModule, "MaximizeWindow", false)
setOption(renderingModule, "Brightness", 1)
setOption(renderingModule, "Contrast", 1)
setOption(renderingModule, "Gamma", 1)
setOption(renderingModule, "RedCorrection", 1)
setOption(renderingModule, "GreenCorrection", 1)
setOption(renderingModule, "BlueCorrection", 1)
setOption(renderingModule, "CalibrateGamma", false)
setOption(renderingModule, "MaximumBufferedFrames", 1)
setOption(renderingModule, "AntiAliasSamples", 1)
setOption(renderingModule, "ResolutionReduction", 0)
setOption(renderingModule, "ShaderQuality", 4)
setOption(renderingModule, "PostProcessAntiAliasing", false)
setOption(renderingModule, "UseBoneAnimationCompression", true)
setOption(renderingModule, "HighQualityTextureCompression", true)
setOption(renderingModule, "VertexBufferOptimization", true)
setOption(renderingModule, "ShaderOptimization", true)
setOption(renderingModule, "DistortionEnabled", true)
setOption(renderingModule, "ShowFPS", false)
setOption(renderingModule, "UseHalfResolutionTextures", false)
setOption(renderingModule, "ColorTextureMipLevelDrop", 0)
setOption(renderingModule, "NormalTextureMipLevelDrop", 0)
setOption(renderingModule, "SpecularTextureMipLevelDrop", 0)
setOption(renderingModule, "Anisotropy", 16)

setOption(audioModule, "VolumeSfx", 50)
setOption(audioModule, "VolumeMusic", 50)
setOption(audioModule, "VolumeVocals", 100)
setOption(audioModule, "VolumeAmbient", 35)
setOption(audioModule, "VolumeMaster", 75)
setOption(audioModule, "AudioLanguage", "english_us_/")

setOption(inputModule, "MultipleKeyboardsAndMiceEnabled", true) {Should this be FALSE]
setOption(inputModule, "DisableMice", false)
setOption(inputModule, "OSCursorVisible", false)
setOption(inputModule, "PreferredController", input.controller.ControllerSubTypeKeyboardAndMouse)
setOption(inputModule, "AutoReenumerateInterval", 0.5)
setOption(inputModule, "DefaultMousePointerSensitivity", 1)
setOption(inputModule, "DefaultAxisPointerSensitivity", 1.7294472455978)
setOption(inputModule, "MousePointerBallisticsEnabled", true)
setOption(inputModule, "AxisPointerBallisticsEnabled", true)
setOption(inputModule, "AxisPointerAccelerationTime", 0.30000001192093)
setOption(inputModule, "VibrationsEnabled", false)
setOption(inputModule, "InputDebugEnabled", false)
setOption(inputModule, "UseOSPointerBallistics", true)
setOption(inputModule, "DisableExclusiveMouse", false)
setOption(inputModule, "TypematicRepeatDelay", 0.25)
setOption(inputModule, "TypematicRate", 30)
setOption(inputModule, "KAMPairings", "")

setOption(particleModule, "MinParticleEffectQuality", 100)
setOption(particleModule, "MaxParticleEffectQuality", 100)

setOption(networkModule, "VoiceCommunicationEnabled", true)
setOption(networkModule, "PushToTalkEnabled", true)
setOption(networkModule, "AutoAdjustNetworkSync", true)
setOption(networkModule, "NetworkPresetKbit", 512)

setOption(profileModule, "UseSteamCloud", true)
setOption(profileModule, "UseSteamCloudSyncing", true)
setOption(profileModule, "RefCode", "")

setOption(trine2Module, "ShowSubtitles", false)
setOption(trine2Module, "CheatsEnabled", false)

christhercguy

Postby christhercguy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:39 pm

11/18/2011 update.
I like the new settings interface. A couple bugs though.
1. Can no longer select START with the controller when trying to start a co-op game. (Could select START before the update)
2. Still unable to "PLAY" the welcome screen with a controller.
3. The "Controller Sensitivity" doesn't seem to save. When you go back to it, it is at the default.
4. Keyboard and mouse is selected as default when trying to start a co-op game, even though the controller is working.

In-Game Bugs
This morning I entered a co-op game someone else created, I could see the action but could not play (My character wasn't there.) I could goto the settings and was able to select one of the other players currently playing, and when I typed a message, it showed as if coming from that player instead of me, even when I selected myself. (I was at position 3) Exiting Trine and going back into the same game made no difference. It's been working fine since.

FB_Esa

Postby FB_Esa » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Sandstein wrote:Oh.... and a little bug:
When the wizard paint a L he cast a box. Normaly he should paint a box to cast a box or not ?!

The "painting" change was a common improvement. We didn't want the creation of the box/plank to be the challenge but the puzzle itself and figuring out a use for the box/plank in that said puzzle.
Also we wanted to prevent the "miscasts" as much as possible because in some puzzles you need quick reflexes (and mouse hand) to solve it. Making the casting too precise would slow the player down.

Hope this helps :)

christhercguy wrote:In-Game Bugs
This morning I entered a co-op game someone else created, I could see the action but could not play (My character wasn't there.) I could goto the settings and was able to select one of the other players currently playing, and when I typed a message, it showed as if coming from that player instead of me, even when I selected myself. (I was at position 3) Exiting Trine and going back into the same game made no difference. It's been working fine since.

We encountered this issue today and we are working on it. Thank you for pointing this out tho :)

Liuhu

Postby Liuhu » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:26 am

We are having quite an interesting issue with my friend. I pre-ordered the game today in hopes to test it out with him. The game installed fine and I tried to join my friend's private game. In the lobby however, my ping skyrocketed throught the roof. If we waited for it to get to 6000+ ms, the game kicked me away. We could actually get to the game before this happens, if we were fast, but only he got a character to play. I could only watch him play for about 10 secs before I got disconnected. Same thing happened with public and private games. We tried the other way around but he couldn't even join my game. It would just say "connecting" and the game didn't respond anymore.

The weird part is that we could both join other people's games just fine and random people could join our games. We could even play together if we managed to join someone else's game together.

If if matters, I have a Mac and my friend has a PC.

42th message, YEAH!

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:02 am

Liuhu wrote:If if matters, I have a Mac and my friend has a PC.

It sounds like that we are going to inspect this part first, sounds like an obvious bug with the cross-platform in some situations. :? (our tests have worked just fine, but of course we haven't tested all possible combinations, or anywhere near)

Edit: our QA team told be it could be also problems with private game. Not so straightforward after all :D

FB_JussiE

Postby FB_JussiE » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:16 am

XBox 360 Controller works with latest Trine2 beta but if you remove the controller and try to play with mouse/Keyboard1 configuration even resetting to defaults doesn't allow the WASD keys to be used for Movement.

Retested with Nov 18 build, problem still occurs.

Im not entirely sure if this is what you mean, but If you unplug your xbox360 controller while playing your in-game character is removed, but you can always re-join the game with keyboard by pressing "F1".

The easier way to switch between input device is to do that from the in-game menu selecting "Game Settings" and then from the drop-down menu right side of your player number & nickname (or "Ready!" if you're in singleplayer mode) select the desired device.

In the lobby however, my ping skyrocketed throught the roof. If we waited for it to get to 6000+ ms, the game kicked me away. We could actually get to the game before this happens, if we were fast, but only he got a character to play. I could only watch him play for about 10 secs before I got disconnected.

We've seen this behaviour a while ago, but haven't been able to reproduce it in a while. There is however something weird going on with private games which we're investigating at the moment.

FB_Esa

Postby FB_Esa » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:29 am

Shafk wrote:setOption(inputModule, "MultipleKeyboardsAndMiceEnabled", true) {Should this be FALSE]

If Jussi's tip didnt work, try to disable multiple keyboards. You can do this in-game from control settings.

I'll try to reproduce this on my end to see what causes this.

Liuhu

Postby Liuhu » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:48 pm

Is there any trick we could try? The outcome is identical whether my friend sets up a public or a private game. I can just sit and watch him playing for short time before disconnecting. I can't even access the menu and the game won't respond to anything.

Lurf

Postby Lurf » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:41 am

Nice to see the Trine 2 beta is here! I immediately preordered the game :) I tried to play for a few mins. So far no problems except the game forgets my controllers preference after a level. Will play some more tomorrow and report back.

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:04 am

Lurf wrote:Nice to see the Trine 2 beta is here! I immediately preordered the game :) I tried to play for a few mins. So far no problems except the game forgets my controllers preference after a level. Will play some more tomorrow and report back.

The game actually chooses whatever controller you use to close the loading screen (that makes sense on consoles and was for quite a while only way to change the controller for the first player. Probably not so useful anymore :) ).

-JLarja

FB_Esa

Postby FB_Esa » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:43 am

Liuhu wrote:Is there any trick we could try? The outcome is identical whether my friend sets up a public or a private game. I can just sit and watch him playing for short time before disconnecting. I can't even access the menu and the game won't respond to anything.

Hello Liuhu.

We've been trying to reproduce this issue but we dont seem to be able to get those disconnect issues that you mentioned.
Only problem we found out was that private game was abit broken at times.

We will keep on trying tho and while we are doing that, is there anything else you might tell us? What mac or pc you guys are using etc.

Hope to hear from you soon so we can solve this annoying problem :)

Liuhu

Postby Liuhu » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:43 pm

I'm using an iMac with Lion and I believe my friend is using an laptop with Windows 7. I do use my phone to access the Internet, but I can try later today if it makes any difference with a normal modem connection. Can you tell which specific info could help you?

Voiko kirjoittaa suomeksi? :wink:

Return to “Trine 2”