Trine 2 FINAL Discussion Thread

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
TheXijo

Trine 2 FINAL Discussion Thread

Postby TheXijo » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:56 pm

Want to thank you for your hard work making this game, it's fantastic. You're great guys.

..played few levels and found few bugs still needed to be corrected.
- Orcs won't float on a airflow (when i put them there by wizard)
- http://goo.gl/PPjUW --- Airflow won't blow the plank. It only blows it when the bubble's near
- http://goo.gl/GBpMm --- box inside a texture (on a left)

Kein

Re: Trine 2 FINAL Discussion Thread

Postby Kein » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:03 am

Still downloading... I hate Steam servers sometimes :<

TheXijo

Postby TheXijo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:05 am

I had to download the game again too... 1 and 1/2 GB..
guess they couldn't just upgrade it from beta..
Anyway, good luck!

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:11 am

Yeah, it's so much safer to have you guys to DL all over again than upgrading beta files, as we have ourselves tested the full version a lot more than we could ever test patching from beta to full. It's still better to wait 10-30 mins more than have a broken game, right? 8)

I think the saves did transfer anyway, right? :D

Zybex

Postby Zybex » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:32 am

(image loaded inproperly, removed the image, a link instead: http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5954 ... 700003.jpg )

2048x1536 and - as seen on the counter - It runs really good on GTX260 at everything on highest settings besides antialiasing.
I played at 1600x1200 @85Hz though. Until the water. I need it to be more beautiful :P and less pixelated. GTX is too weak for AA so only option is to go higher. I'll switch to 2304x1440 soon.

Could anyone help me switching to fullscreen mode?
I tried by changing in the config file, but no success. :(

I can play at 2048x1536, but only in windowed mode.

os: Win 7 64bit. Connection: VGA D-Sub -BNC cable. Driver - tried from 24" Sony. It worked on XP and in other games, but still I can't switch the desktop to 2048x1536 and have to use Nvidia panel instead - that might be connected to the problem. I abandoned XP just recently - might be a simple Win7 issue.

Kein

Postby Kein » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:37 am

X:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Trine2\options.txt
setOption(renderingModule, "Windowed", false)

Zybex

Postby Zybex » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:40 am

Kein wrote:X:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Trine2\options.txt
setOption(renderingModule, "Windowed", false)

No, I had this at fullscreen, but then, after running the game - resolution changes to 1600x1200 itself :(
Windowed is the only solution so far, but it shouldn't.

RealoFoxtrot

Postby RealoFoxtrot » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:43 am

Windowed mode at that resolution?

I have found that to be rather difficult, highest one that works well is 1920x1200

Zybex

Postby Zybex » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:53 am

RealoFoxtrot wrote:Windowed mode at that resolution? I have found that to be rather difficult, highest one that works well is 1920x1200

It's just the same as desktop. Rage on Win XP doesn't mind and works OK.

I still would welcome any solution, since I plan to connect my 24" monitor with 2304x1440 and might run into the same problem, but for now - I added another custom resolution in nvidia panel - 1920x1440 and it works fine. I won't be fighting for those few pixels.
BTW. How can I see just 230MB used memory in MSI Afterburner? In that case, why Nvidia or AMD didn't hire Frozenbyte to make a demo for their cards? ;) I don't even know what would happen if it was 2-3GB instead of 0,2 :P
Such graphics level and even people with 256MB cards can fully enjoy best texture settings if only the speed of the cards is not an issue.
That's what I call "high quality game" :)

van

Postby van » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:59 am

FB_Lauri wrote:I think the saves did transfer anyway, right? :D

They did :D Thanks for that. Still had to race through Forlorn Wilderness again, though :o

slammaz3D

Postby slammaz3D » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:39 am

Been playing in 3D all day...Nvidia 3D TV Play, GTS 450 OC'd, dual cpu Intel x5550 nehalem 12G DDR3 1333

Full quality at 720p 3D

50` Panasonic TCP50GT25 Panasonic Gen. 2 3D glasses (rechargeable)

1. This should be game of the year. This is the AVATAR of 3D gaming. Just set your 3D to 100% in the Nvidia control panel and play. Frozenbyte has taken extreme measures to ensure THE MOST AMAZING 3D experience ever. Every flower\Bug and spec of dust is perfectly placed within the 3D world. Convergence is PERFECT. Girlfriend and I are taking breaks because we don't want it to end.

This is the greatest game ever. It must be experienced in 3D Vision. Please bundle this with 3DTV Play so that everyone gets the big screen experience.

* "This really ups the bar for anyone developing right now. They must take note of the 3D in game effects and try their best to match what Frozenbyte has done. If not they will be laughed at and their efforts thrown aside by 3D Gamers." *

Thanks Frozenbyte!
Last edited by slammaz3D on Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

sigma47

Postby sigma47 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:09 am

just finished singleplayer..
1. can't stop being stunned by the beautiful graphics and details on all those levels
2. can't stop wondering what it's about that snowman room and the snowman in the credits
3. you guys did some pretty amazing work there

vaelo

Postby vaelo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:13 am

I agree with the 3D, using nVidia 3D Vision - thanks so much for not only making it compatible (which was all I really wanted) but going the extra distance and implementing in game controls - you can even change the depth of the UI!

The only thing I would ask is for a greater range on the separation slider, in the beta (earlier on) I found that the max depth seemed to by much higher - not sure if you changed something if it's because I'm using nVidia's beta 290 series drivers.

If there's a way for me to change the value in a config file somewhere please let me know. It looks fantastic as it is, but I'm used to a lot more depth after 3D gaming for over 2 years now.

Thanks again for the wonderful game, and including the 3D community!

Cheers

maramsp

Postby maramsp » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:15 am

Im trying to finish singleplayer.. Can someone tell me maybe a quick solution to the sawmill watering magical seed in the hushing grove level? Im carrying now the planks from the first watering seed along the level..

fb_juha

Postby fb_juha » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:21 am

vaelo wrote:I agree with the 3D, using nVidia 3D Vision - thanks so much for not only making it compatible (which was all I really wanted) but going the extra distance and implementing in game controls - you can even change the depth of the UI!

The only thing I would ask is for a greater range on the separation slider, in the beta (earlier on) I found that the max depth seemed to by much higher - not sure if you changed something if it's because I'm using nVidia's beta 290 series drivers.

If there's a way for me to change the value in a config file somewhere please let me know. It looks fantastic as it is, but I'm used to a lot more depth after 3D gaming for over 2 years now.

Thanks again for the wonderful game, and including the 3D community!

Cheers

You can tweak separation and convergence from %APPDATA%/Trine2/options.txt. I actually haven't tested this, but I think it should work if you change StereoSeparation and StereoConvergence values from there. I'd assume those values will only get clamped to slider ranges if you open the visual settings window.

If above doesn't work, we can either increase the slider range, or enable some other override in a patch. I changed the slider default because I didn't think anyone would be using such extreme values :) .

slammaz3D

Postby slammaz3D » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:53 am

I think you (developers) may have done something that is a first for stereoscopic movies or games....

"When the Goblins appear in the "audience" and then jump in at the character" This use of focus and depth is astounding....Girlfriend and I both looked at each other like "WHOA"

I have never seen any use of stereoscopy like this. Amazing.

James Cameron take note of this effect!

Kein

Postby Kein » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:10 am

Finished few hours ago.
Will post thoughts later.

jkstrawn

Postby jkstrawn » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:26 am

I've just installed Trine 2 and am so excited to start playing. Unfortunately my trine 1 playing partners won't be available until friday >:( so I'll just have to wait.

Even though I'm sure you guys have heard this a hundred times, I just need to say that Trine is an absolutely amazing game and the best game I've played in far too long. I'm really excited about the direction Frozenbyte is headed in and eagerly await (patiently, though!) the next game that you guys come up with.

P.S. Reading the post-mortem on gamasutra was very interesting and entertaining. Props to you guys for doing everything you do with a high calibre of quality.

adenin0

Postby adenin0 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:02 pm

Hey there guys, congratulations for the release of "trine 2" ,its an incredible game.Saddly even at low settings the game runs very slow 10~15 fps compared to trine 1 , i had about 35~40 fps.My laptop is not very fast(core 2 duo 2Ghz, 4GB ram gpu 8400m gt) but it ran well trine 1 on high settings.I know its a lot to ask but is there a possibility to improve the performance on such kind of machines? I' m a big fan of your works and i bought every game since shadowgrounds survivors and trine 2 is the pinnacle of the 2d action platforming and i realy want to enjoy this experience .

FB_JussiE

Postby FB_JussiE » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:08 pm

Hey adenin0

The game shouldn't be very much more demanding that the original Trine was.

1st you should check that you have latest drivers installed to your video card.

2nd make sure to disable any AA as its very demanding from the PC (especially on laptops)

3rd if neither of the above helps try dropping the resolution, this for sure will increase the performance, but also will have an impact on the visual experience =S

Hopefully you can get the game to playable FPS

adenin0

Postby adenin0 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:26 pm

Thank you for the fast reply , but the res is already 640x480 and aa are off, compared to trine 1 the res was 800x600.Oh and the drivers are from January there aren't any newer.So does that mean , there is nothing you can do ?

fb_juha

Postby fb_juha » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:35 pm

adenin0 wrote:Thank you for the fast reply , but the res is already 640x480 and aa are off, compared to trine 1 the res was 800x600.Oh and the drivers are from January there aren't any newer.So does that mean , there is nothing you can do ?

One thing you can try is opening %APPDATA%/Trine2/options.txt (copy-paste that path to explorer), and change line
setOption(renderingModule, "ResolutionReduction", 0)
to
setOption(renderingModule, "ResolutionReduction", 3)

Your original value might not be 0, it's probably 1 or 2. Change it to 3 regardless. Does that help?

adenin0

Postby adenin0 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:22 pm

No , frmerate is the same.

vaelo

Postby vaelo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:56 pm

fb_juha wrote:You can tweak separation and convergence from %APPDATA%/Trine2/options.txt. I actually haven't tested this, but I think it should work if you change StereoSeparation and StereoConvergence values from there. I'd assume those values will only get clamped to slider ranges if you open the visual settings window.

If above doesn't work, we can either increase the slider range, or enable some other override in a patch. I changed the slider default because I didn't think anyone would be using such extreme values :) .

Thank you very much!

You guys have to be the coolest devs I ever had the pleasure of interacting with!

Indeed us 3D Vision users can be a crazy bunch, some of us even use registry hacks to go beyond nVidia's default max depth ;). Last night I played some Trine 2, switched over to Skyrim for a bit, and when I came back to Trine 2 it looked almost flat at your max depth setting - I had to bump the convergence up to 100% to get a noticable effect. I'm used to having the "horizen" in games extremely far away from me.

I will try changing the setting tonight, thanks so much for the tip I really appreciate it.

Dartaen

Postby Dartaen » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:05 pm

Just finished single players. Still counting the rainbows... :D

Return to “Trine 2”