Trine 2 FINAL Discussion Thread

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
serkanos

Re: Trine 2 FINAL Discussion Thread

Postby serkanos » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:35 pm

I have not played the game while looking at scenery.Very amazing graphics,effects very fantastic .:shock:

ı am waiting turkish subtitle.
Congratulations!!!!!

fb_juha

Postby fb_juha » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:44 am

adenin0 wrote:No , frmerate is the same.

This is very strange. Does the framerate actually go down if you increase the resolution?
Also, if you have vsync enabled try turning it off.

Other than that, we try to look into some more options we could try.

adenin0

Postby adenin0 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:55 am

Yes , the framerate goes drasticly down by increasing the res.

vaelo

Postby vaelo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:48 am

The settings you mentioned worked great!

Now it looks even more ridiculously good in 3D, makes me want to start all over again!

For reference, this is what I find a good compromise between max depth and minimal crosstalk:
setOption(renderingModule, "StereoSeparation", 0.11999999731779)
setOption(renderingModule, "StereoConvergence", 10)
setOption(renderingModule, "StereoUIDepth", 0.0030722341034561)

As you can see, I am using 4 times your previous Separation value and half of the max convergence . This creates a very deep landscape, with the characters lining up very nicely with the depth of the cursor - makes it a lot easier to track the cursor (it doesn't seem affected by the UI depth setting?)

Thanks very the tip, and again, awesome game!

fb_juha

Postby fb_juha » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:31 pm

vaelo wrote:The settings you mentioned worked great!

Now it looks even more ridiculously good in 3D, makes me want to start all over again!

For reference, this is what I find a good compromise between max depth and minimal crosstalk:
setOption(renderingModule, "StereoSeparation", 0.11999999731779)
setOption(renderingModule, "StereoConvergence", 10)
setOption(renderingModule, "StereoUIDepth", 0.0030722341034561)!

My only real experience from stereo games is adding stereo support for Trine (2). I tried those settings, and for me they are quite extreme outside the main menu. Still, it's all about personal preferences so I'm glad it works :).

vaelo wrote:As you can see, I am using 4 times your previous Separation value and half of the max convergence . This creates a very deep landscape, with the characters lining up very nicely with the depth of the cursor - makes it a lot easier to track the cursor (it doesn't seem affected by the UI depth setting?)

Some UI elements, such as mouse cursor, thief aim indicator and such are drawn to character depth. Rest of the UI elements are affected by the UI depth. UI depth defines the rendered depth between the screen and player depth.

That said, when trying out your settings it seems that with those values there is something funny going on when using more extreme values. Looks like cursors are rendered too far to the scene. It was never tested with such values, but I'll see if I have time to look into it a bit later.

walzuu

Postby walzuu » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:41 pm

Just finished the game and I really enjoyed it. The gameplay is just so damn good and the visual effects and graphics are great. There were moments when I just stopped to watch the scenery :)

I expected a bit more diversity with the boss encounters. Now there's basically only three different boss-types (snake which was in beta, giant goblins and the last boss). Also it would be nice to see some kind of wizard enemies and not just the melee/archer enemies. Maybe the wizard enemies could conjure something, just like Amadeus does.

Anyways, I really liked the game and I'm pretty sure the co-op will kick ass in the other levels just as it did in the beta. All this for only 13€ :)

walzuu

Postby walzuu » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:42 pm

Also I think there should be some way to make some of the fights a bit harder, like restoring the bosses' health if all your heroes die. The last boss fight was a bit too easy even with hard, since it didn't really matter if all the heroes died.

T4nkcommander

Postby T4nkcommander » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:36 am

walzuu wrote:Also I think there should be some way to make some of the fights a bit harder, like restoring the bosses' health if all your heroes die. The last boss fight was a bit too easy even with hard, since it didn't really matter if all the heroes died.

I agree with this. It was kind of lame to die with all three guys then come back to life like nothing happened.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:06 am

Yeah, we wanted to do the boss in a way that it would always reset the hitpoints upon all dying .. but sadly we ran out of time and had to do the current, over-easy solution. We'll have to see if we can change this.

Zybex

Postby Zybex » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:35 pm

As I wrote - "I can play at 2048x1536, but only in windowed mode" I had a problem forcing Trine 2 to work properly in full screen mode.

It's been a few updates back, so I checked yesterday - now it works. The resolution is showing up, and refresh rates are properly displayed (before it was only "automatic", now I can choose desired refresh just like in any other resolution).
:)

-SD-

Postby -SD- » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:38 pm

With all due respect, while the games are fun and well worth the money, the puzzles are often a bit "cheap" and silly. I get the impression that the puzzles in Trine and Trine 2 have been mostly built around the amazing scenery backdrops and not the other way round, as, I think, it should be. Design good quality, clever puzzles first then build the scenery around them.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:06 pm

-SD- wrote:With all due respect, while the games are fun and well worth the money, the puzzles are often a bit "cheap" and silly. I get the impression that the puzzles in Trine and Trine 2 have been mostly built around the amazing scenery backdrops and not the other way round, as, I think, it should be. Design good quality, clever puzzles first then build the scenery around them.

That's indeed our level design method: first there's only the gameplay leveldesign and only after gameplay is finished the art is done. I guess there's always ongoing a small "conflict" between gameplay and art, for example when some pieces of gameplay are too well hidden by the visuals. And of course physics and all the abilities add endless possibilities, so even we don't know all the solutions (which is intentional).

-SD-

Postby -SD- » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:18 am

I take back what I said about the puzzles. Having finished the game I now think that only some of the puzzles could have used a bit more thought and polish.

I like this game very much. Just ended a 5-hour marathon where I managed to finish the game and right away started another playthrough on hard difficulty :)

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:31 pm

-SD- wrote:I take back what I said about the puzzles. Having finished the game I now think that only some of the puzzles could have used a bit more thought and polish.

I like this game very much. Just ended a 5-hour marathon where I managed to finish the game and right away started another playthrough on hard difficulty :)

I'm glad you liked it after all, and thanks for the comments :D

adenin0

Postby adenin0 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:59 pm

Hi guys, sorry to bother you again ,but should i keep the hope ,that you somehow manage to help me to increase the performance? Thank you in advance.
Last edited by adenin0 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fengmmsocks

Postby fengmmsocks » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:49 pm

Mirrors do not translate monsters.
Since our living heroes do translate through the mirrors, maybe the living monsters should do too. Or did you make it like this purpersely in other to avoid a higher probability of bugs?
Also, monsters do not spring upon the witch's elastic round table, maybe nor upon other things in the same kind (I didn't test that so I d'know).
These issues are somewhat of different kind, and it does not matter if you care about these. Thank you for the great game!

mikaellaine

Postby mikaellaine » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:30 pm

Congrats and Thanks to Frozenbyte!
I bought Trine2 a couple of days after it was released on Steam, because I felt I wanted to get it sooner than the Mac App Store release.

Initially, I thought the game was a bit lacking in atmosphere and playability compared to Trine (1). Also, about the music, I was like "humppa"?? Really?

I spent yesterday playing Trine 2 seriously for the first time, with my 9yo daughter (she loves both btw). I was playing Pontius/Amadeus using an XBox 360 usb controller and she used kbd/mouse. This is on a 2011 Mac Mini.

After some time, we were totally immersed in the experience. The graphics are awesome! The gameplay seems optimized to consoles, and thus the Xbox controller felt very good. And the music: humppa is obviously loved by the (rest of the) world, and is distinctive Finnish music (its not just BSD-geeks who love it :-P). So adopting that into some themes makes sense, and doesn't sound too bad. I like the music overall.

To conclude, the game is awesome, and I'm so thankful for having a nice game title like that to play single-screen co-op on a Mac!! Not many such titles around!

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:55 am

Thanks, and I'm really glad both you and your daughter enjoyed the game! :D

Arqueiroarcano

Postby Arqueiroarcano » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:57 pm

[quote="walzuu"]1-There were moments when I just stopped to watch the scenery :)

2-I expected a bit more diversity with the boss encounters. Now there's basically only three different boss-types (snake which was in beta, giant goblins and the last boss). Also it would be nice to see some kind of wizard enemies and not just the melee/archer enemies.
3-Maybe the wizard enemies could conjure something, just like Amadeus does.
quote]
1- I guess everyone does that while playing Trine2. Lovely visual! I have to say Trine is the most beautiful game I ever played!
2- Indeed, it could had more bosses. SOmething I think it would be good in Trine 3 are bosses capable of defending. Trine 1 and 2 bosses are kind of easy to kill, since it's just a matter of hitting and running, until their lifebar is empity. It's very fun to jump over the giant goblin and stick some arrows on him or strike him with the sword, but it would be even better if he blocked some blows with a shield, or something like that.
3- I support this ideia! Wanna escape from conjured spiked-balls once again! And more often, not just in the final chapter.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:01 pm

I'm sure we'll keep improving our boss fights :)

Personally I'm happy that Trine 2 had slightly improved bosses over Trine 1 :D

Return to “Trine 2”