Trine 2 Constant Freezing

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
trinefan2

Trine 2 Constant Freezing

Postby trinefan2 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:36 pm

Just bought game, freezes every 2-3 minutes for 5-10s. Screen is frozen, music/sounds continue to play.

Before I updated to Catalyst 11.11, it would freeze, black screen, and USB dis/connection sounds would play. Game would resume after 10s. After updating drivers, it only freezes and resumes after time.

Graphics card is 4870/90 with Displayport output.

fb_jlarja

Re: Trine 2 Constant Freezing

Postby fb_jlarja » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:48 pm

trinefan2 wrote:Just bought game, freezes every 2-3 minutes for 5-10s. Screen is frozen, music/sounds continue to play.

Before I updated to Catalyst 11.11, it would freeze, black screen, and USB dis/connection sounds would play. Game would resume after 10s. After updating drivers, it only freezes and resumes after time.

Graphics card is 4870/90 with Displayport output.

Hmm, I'm actually starting to think that these freezes could be USB related. Whenever Trine 2 detects USB device coming or going, it will check if any DirectInput gamepads have come or gone. Maybe something in that process goes wrong and causes the freeze (it would normally be just something like 200 ms, but when something unexpected happens, it tends to cause, well, unexpected things).

I think I will add an option to disable automatic gamepad (and keyboard and mouse) detection. If that helps, we know where the problem is.

-JLarja

trinefan2

Postby trinefan2 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:46 am

When do you plan to add this option so we can test this idea?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:18 am

trinefan2 wrote:When do you plan to add this option so we can test this idea?

I think you can also test this by disconnecting USB controllers which you don't use for playing, if you have like an extra gamepad attached to your computer.

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:36 am

FB_Lauri wrote:
trinefan2 wrote:When do you plan to add this option so we can test this idea?

I think you can also test this by disconnecting USB controllers which you don't use for playing, if you have like an extra gamepad attached to your computer.

Actually, I should have written Plug and Play instead of USB. You can try Lauri's suggestion, but if the problem is caused by some internal (integrated to motherboard even) device, there's little you can do.

The option to ignore plug and play events is easy to add, so it will probably be in next update, but I don't know exactly when that will get published.

-JLarja

trinefan2

Postby trinefan2 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:50 pm

I don't use any gamepads. So it could be any PnP device causing this issue?

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:32 pm

[quote="trinefan2":replace]I don't use any gamepads. So it could be any PnP device causing this issue?[/quote:replace]

That's a theory, mainly based on USB dis/connection sounds as you reported (you are not the only one either, for that matter). If the game thinks there's constant PnP device connections or disconnections, it will more or less jam. Why would there be, is a mystery, but if that is the cause of the problem, it is simple enough to fix (from Trine's point of view anyway. Just ignore the messages).

-JLarja

gsteruk

Postby gsteruk » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:16 pm

interesting! do you think this could cause the reboots im having in my other hypertransport thread??

trinefan2

Postby trinefan2 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:23 pm

Turning on Vsync seems to have fixed my problem.

If so, out of curiosity, could you explain what the problem was with graphics cards overheating without Vsync?

gsteruk

Postby gsteruk » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:28 pm

i too have noticed that card temps with trine 2 can get ridiculously high - i have a well ventilated case and well cooled graphics card - handles any game no problems at all, so its a touch concerning that this game (even on reduced settings) is causing the hardware to heat. im attributing that to the reboots (ive not had another suggestion?) - so for me i think im finished playing this game and probably future releases from this company- i cant risk hd damage from unexpected shutdowns im afraid

fb_juha

Postby fb_juha » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:37 am

trinefan2 wrote:Turning on Vsync seems to have fixed my problem.

If so, out of curiosity, could you explain what the problem was with graphics cards overheating without Vsync?

If the game frame rate is higher than monitor refresh rate, then vertical sync will mean that frame rate gets capped. This means that GPU doesn't run in full utilisation and thus let's it cool down between frames.

If those freezes were caused by heat, newer drivers probably did better but not perfect job at controlling the heat.

gsteruk wrote:i too have noticed that card temps with trine 2 can get ridiculously high - i have a well ventilated case and well cooled graphics card - handles any game no problems at all, so its a touch concerning that this game (even on reduced settings) is causing the hardware to heat. im attributing that to the reboots (ive not had another suggestion?) - so for me i think im finished playing this game and probably future releases from this company- i cant risk hd damage from unexpected shutdowns im afraid

From software point of view, there is no concept of "causing too much heat". It is impossible for us to know how any hardware combination will react to our game. This is a job which is exclusively handled by hardware and it's drivers. In next patch we will add frame rate cap feature, which will allow limiting the frame rate to specific number. Beyond such measures there really isn't anything we can do about heat.

Another way to artificially reduce frame rate is to edit %APPDATA%/Trine2/options.txt and change line
setOption(renderingModule, "ReduceInputLag", false)
to
setOption(renderingModule, "ReduceInputLag", true)

Reducing graphics quality doesn't directly mean that GPU would be generating less heat. In practice frame rate will increase and utilisation will stay where it was (often in full 100%). It only has effect when used to increase frame rate higher than monitor refresh rate and enabling vertical sync.

gsteruk

Postby gsteruk » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:23 am

thanks for that tip, ill try it for sure and let you know - many thanks :-)

trinefan2

Postby trinefan2 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:22 am

Never mind, still freezing with VSync.

gsteruk

Postby gsteruk » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:46 pm

trinefan2 - are you having forced restarts or quit to desktops? have you tried checking the event viewer to see if an event is being raised there? i ask because i think it would be interesting to see if you are having the same issue as me?

gsteruk

Postby gsteruk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:59 am

i can confirm no more reboots with:

setting setOption(renderingModule, "ReduceInputLag", true)
disabling AA
enabling vsynch

all three must be set like this, in not then reboots happen. hope that helps for next patch :-)

ceem

Postby ceem » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:37 pm

I got the same problem, having a 4870 ATI Card.
Whats strange is that I didnt have these problems before the Update of December 12th or at least it didnt occure one time during the whole first level. Today playing it happens every second minute. I have tried disabling AA (I had it on maximum before that), activating Vsyns, and Reduce Latency to true - nothing helped me.
Glad if you guys could fix this.

gsteruk

Postby gsteruk » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:38 am

interesting, my card is the 4850, wonder if its linked to that generation of cards? it was plauging me for a while, if you check in your event log you will probably see a hypertransport error - from what i can find out that suggests the card is overheating a lot - even though this series of cards are generally very well cooled, as is my entire system, something is defo happening to throw those cards into extreme mode - like you though i have no problems with anything else. sorry to hear those fixes didnt help, try reducing your resolution as well, i think i may have also brought that down a notch or 2 - not had a crash in over a week now

fb_juha

Postby fb_juha » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:53 am

Settings / Visual Settings now has an option for frame rate cap. To see if it's a cooling issue, you can set it to low'ish number (default is 30) and check if the problem goes away.

Recent updates shouldn't have done anything which would have affected on rendering performance / requirements.

Wellx

Postby Wellx » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:04 am

I bought TRINE 2 last night by the steam has finished installing then when I put the game to run and entered the game becomes unplayable because of lagging that do not allow me to play and has another problem is related to the cursor of the mouse it did not obey me the cursor does not leave the lower right corner, but I noticed that when I run the game in windowed mode when I press the start button on the Windows desktop disappears lagging in the game. I've checked and my settings are within the standard to run the game.

I ask for a solution.

ceem

Postby ceem » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:46 am

Thanks for your help guys, I downloaded some software tool to monitor my gpu and all that stuff and I just set my Fan to 100% incase it get's close to 75. Haven't had any prolbems since then, but I'm not if that really was the problem. Anyway now it works and I'm going to enjoy my daily level of Trine 2 with my friends - don't want to rush it:)

btw: Love this support, every request is handed seriously and of course there are not many bugs in this game - keep the good work up!

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:05 am

Wellx wrote:I bought TRINE 2 last night by the steam has finished installing then when I put the game to run and entered the game becomes unplayable because of lagging that do not allow me to play and has another problem is related to the cursor of the mouse it did not obey me the cursor does not leave the lower right corner, but I noticed that when I run the game in windowed mode when I press the start button on the Windows desktop disappears lagging in the game. I've checked and my settings are within the standard to run the game.

I ask for a solution.

Answered your question in other thread (http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3976&sid=2241ae96128e0b4613d088d34d7a933d#p17466).

Return to “Trine 2”