On PC, how nice... What about PS3!

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
FantasywriterDH

On PC, how nice... What about PS3!

Postby FantasywriterDH » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:23 am

I'm really getting burned out on waiting for this. But of course, you release it for PC ahead of the other platforms, making us wait more, listening to how others have finished, yada yada. Meanwhile, it's kind of a back hand to the rest of us waiting for it on other platforms. Christmas is around the corner, "End of the year" is almost here and not a peep about digital download. Sorry, but all these delays have really put me off... The thing u guys tried to avoid, but seemed to have done again anyway. Just Fail... My money will go to something else for Christmas.

Pro Tip, don't say a thing about a new game til you have a successful beta. Then pump it up... Not a year before or more when you're still clueless.

FB_JussiE

Re: On PC, how nice... What about PS3!

Postby FB_JussiE » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:40 am

Sorry to hear this, but there really is not much we can do about it.

For consoles the approval process by Microsoft/Sony takes it time and there's nothing we can do to speed it up.

The PS versions launch date has been announced for the US to be 21st and hopefully European version will be close to it.

We do realize that our estimates can be inaccurate, but we belive it's much better to release polished game with delays rather than crippled version just to stay on schedule.

FantasywriterDH

Postby FantasywriterDH » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:20 am

I appreciate the reply, but you talk about microsoft/sony as if it's their fault gor the delay. You guys have been amping us up since over a year ago. The first initial "thought" of release was Spring. Then pushed to Summer. Then, it was late September... Finally you guys gave up and just said by end of the year. This isn't your first release, you know the drill. You have fans, but you kill anticipation with delays. My point, don't bother talking about a new release until you have a solid beta. Then amp it up, fix, submit and you have a better timeline to go by... Your 2-3 months of microsoft/sony approval, and you guys look better for it. Btw, when you say 21st, do you mean December 21st 2011? Wouldn't want to assume anything.

FB_JussiE

Postby FB_JussiE » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:43 am

Hello again

I understand your frustation and we're sorry for it.
I'm not trying to blame Sony or Microsoft for the delays, but creating a game is a huge task and takes tremendous amount of work. There's always some unforseen issues popping up and as I said earlier we really do belive its better to polish the game to the max, even if it means delaying its launch.

Games are extremely complex pieces of software and thus require focusing on the smallest of details, which ends up taking time, lots of it.

Hopefully in the future we'll be more accurate on our estimates, but one can never know what sort of game breaking issues pop up at the last few weeks of the development time.

And yes 21st of December 2011 is the release date for PSN North America.
Last edited by FB_JussiE on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Niko838

Postby Niko838 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:20 am

Funny thing, these release dates. Usually it's the other way around with games these days, consoles get it first and PC later when it's done (Assassin's Creed or Batman: Arkham City comes to mind). So the PC gamers are usually the ones having to wait, so I'm glad that the tables are turned every once in a while, though it would be ideal if all the games were released (as polished as possible) on all the platforms at the same time.

All I'm saying (and I don't mean to be mean) is that sure, the release dates were pushed back and it's not nice to see another platform get the game while you're still waiting, but PC gamers have seen this many times (and it might be a reason for "loss of sales" on the platform, who knows) but I'm sure Frozenbyte does its best to get the game for the rest of the platforms, you wouldn't want them to release a buggy game, would you?

I mean it's a trade-off of either being buggy (and then you guys come here and tell them the game sucks and they should've taken more time to polish it) or taking their time to polish it (in which case some might come here and tell them they suck because they didn't release the game simultaneously on all the platforms)...

So, having played the game a bit, it's definitely worth the wait!

FantasywriterDH

Postby FantasywriterDH » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:13 pm

Indeed, we don't want a buggy game, and I apologize for being harsh... But to be fair if we (my family) didn't love the first Trine aside from some annoyances, I wouldn't care and wouldn't be here eager for the release. There are few games out there where parents and their kids can really get into a game, especially of this genre.
My main point that I will re-itterate, is given the complexity of programing, fixing & platform approvals is to hold off on the propoganda until you've reached a further point in development. Why risk dissapointing fans when you know all to well how volitile the proccess is? Tbh, I would be way more amped to first learn of a game that you've just released a test beta that's near 100% complete and only had minimal stages to go thru and can be expected to release upon approval in a couple months. Instead, I've got my son's sad face everytime it get's pushed back multiple times over the lentgh of a year. So really, what's the point of even spitting out a teaser trailer so far ahead of completion? Too much risk in my mind.

Hooray for this month, release before Chistmas... Although my family won't believe it until we see it on the PSN. I agree a release should be to all platforms at the same time. Glad to hear it's worth the extended wait. Again, I do appreciate a Dev's attention and reply to these forums... Something other companies could stand to learn from.

Tsoomi

Postby Tsoomi » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:58 am

the game can come out December 21 for EU psn? or it will not come out until later?
thanks

DanteShamest

Postby DanteShamest » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:45 am

@FantasywriterDH
I can't believe some people are whining and threatening not to buy a great game just because it's coming out late. :lol:
Why can't you buy it off Steam? I'm surprised if you don't own either a Mac or PC.

FantasywriterDH

Postby FantasywriterDH » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:50 pm

DanteShamest wrote:@FantasywriterDH
I can't believe some people are whining and threatening not to buy a great game just because it's coming out late. :lol:
Why can't you buy it off Steam? I'm surprised if you don't own either a Mac or PC.

Have you never stood up for something or given constructive criticism? I'll bet you did read this thread and just replied to my first post. While I agree it was harsh, I was making a point. Feedback is the bread and butter of success, so before you troll, try to understand the validity behind the cause. Sure, things happen and are unforeseeable, but you mitigate that by not raising the pomp an circumstance band to a roar when you're only at the beginning stages of development. You should ask CCP (Eve Online Game developer) how their attitude changed when hundreds of subscribers started unsubing their accounts after a terrible expansion and their voices were being ignored about fixes that needed to be made. Unsubing/not buying a product due to a failure on the company's part has an affect. While it may seem trivial to you, it helps companies learn where they go wrong, so they can hopefully improve the experience in the future. BTW, CCP has now since, recently released one of their best expansions ever... How? Due to them finally listening to their clients and making the much needed changes/fixes.
And, it's obvious that you don't understand the difference with the PS3 playabilty than from the PC. As such, 3 of my family can each play a character, all 3 characters at the same time (locally). Get it?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:40 pm

Having PC/Mac out two weeks before main console launches was never the plan, but the harsh realities unfortunately dictated the situation. Getting a game out on consoles (especially two) is a completely different process than getting game out in for example Steam or Mac App Store.

Some examples what can go wrong can be seen at our Trine 1 post mortem at http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/5 ... _trine.php

I wouldn't say we did all the same mistakes again, but of course we had to fail in some things as the situation is what it is. Maybe one day we'll write a Trine 2 post mortem. 8)

In the end of the day I'm still happy with what we accomplished.

Return to “Trine 2”