no surround (5.1) sound in trine 2, normal or bug?

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
dragonlore

no surround (5.1) sound in trine 2, normal or bug?

Postby dragonlore » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:22 pm

I have 5.1 channel (logitech z5500) and xfi sound card but in trine 2 I have only stereo sound.

I didn't find options to switch stereo to surround in game.

Is it normal or is it bug?

dragonlore

Re: no surround (5.1) sound in trine 2, normal or bug?

Postby dragonlore » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:52 pm

nobody can answer me?

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:20 am

dragonlore wrote:I have 5.1 channel (logitech z5500) and xfi sound card but in trine 2 I have only stereo sound.

I think that technically speaking Trine 2 should output surround sound, if Windows sound settings are set so. However, there's hardly any sound on surround channels. In practice, it is stereo.

-JLarja

artox

Postby artox » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:33 am

dragonlore wrote:I have 5.1 channel (logitech z5500) and xfi sound card but in trine 2 I have only stereo sound.

Unless you are running on windows xp it may be normal, as Vista and above don't use directsound, so if you want to enable surround and eax functionality you have to use a the Alchemy program from Creative to insert a dsound dll into the folder. Now, Trine 2 is a newer game and I doubt you have to go to this trouble, but you might want to try it anyway.

dragonlore

Postby dragonlore » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:03 pm

fb_jlarja wrote:

I think that technically speaking Trine 2 should output surround sound, if Windows sound settings are set so. However, there's hardly any sound on surround channels. In practice, it is stereo.

-JLarja

Thanks.

The problem is that when a guy speak, the sound of voice appears only on front left channel and front right channel instead of front central channel like in a surround sound.

I would like to know if it's normal.
Last edited by dragonlore on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dragonlore

Postby dragonlore » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:04 pm

artox wrote:

Unless you are running on windows xp it may be normal, as Vista and above don't use directsound, so if you want to enable surround and eax functionality you have to use a the Alchemy program from Creative to insert a dsound dll into the folder. Now, Trine 2 is a newer game and I doubt you have to go to this trouble, but you might want to try it anyway.

Thanks. Alchemy is just for old games that used eax but since many years, game don't use eax but open al or other sound api and alchemy is not neccessary for new games like trine 2.

artox

Postby artox » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:12 pm

dragonlore wrote:Thanks. Alchemy is just for old games that used eax but since many years, game don't use eax but open al or other sound api and alchemy is not neccessary for new games like trine 2.

Yeah, you're right, Trine 1 used to have eax. I actually tried listening to the surround channels to hear something and the effects are very weak, but I do transfer LPCM to my receiver. Either way, setting to 5.1 channels( which you already have done) should be giving you 5.1.
While we are on the subject, don't you find that older games with EAX used to have much better use for surround channels, I recently tried replaying HM Fakk2 and the channels are much better defined than most current games?

dragonlore

Postby dragonlore » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:30 pm

artox wrote:
dragonlore wrote:Thanks. Alchemy is just for old games that used eax but since many years, game don't use eax but open al or other sound api and alchemy is not neccessary for new games like trine 2.

Yeah, you're right, Trine 1 used to have eax. I actually tried listening to the surround channels to hear something and the effects are very weak, but I do transfer LPCM to my receiver. Either way, setting to 5.1 channels( which you already have done) should be giving you 5.1.

I set 5.1 and I don't have 5.1, only 2.1. I ask the question to know if it's normal or not for trine 2

artox wrote:
dragonlore wrote:While we are on the subject, don't you find that older games with EAX used to have much better use for surround channels, I recently tried replaying HM Fakk2 and the channels are much better defined than most current games?

Lots of sound engine are bad today and worst than eax 2 games 10 years ago for example the last alice game doens't support simple effect like reverberation (it's just an example but there are many examples). It's bad but today sound engine is not the priority of developpers (I don't speak about frozenbyte).

Return to “Trine 2”