Bandwidth usage for online co-op

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
darthyoda6

Bandwidth usage for online co-op

Postby darthyoda6 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:03 am

Is there a way of finding out how much bandwidth Trine 2 uses when playing online? I have a Rogers hug which uses the cell phone bandwidth, so we pay for what we use, which isn't cheap. I've played for about 4 hours on different days, and my usage already jumped to 1 gb in 4 days. Since I quit playing online, it went back to normal usage. And unfortunately the only way to check my total bandwidth is the Rogers website. I enjoy playing this online, but not if it's going to cost a lot for the bandwidth.

fb_jlarja

Re: Bandwidth usage for online co-op

Postby fb_jlarja » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:30 am

darthyoda6 wrote:Is there a way of finding out how much bandwidth Trine 2 uses when playing online? I have a Rogers hug which uses the cell phone bandwidth, so we pay for what we use, which isn't cheap. I've played for about 4 hours on different days, and my usage already jumped to 1 gb in 4 days. Since I quit playing online, it went back to normal usage. And unfortunately the only way to check my total bandwidth is the Rogers website. I enjoy playing this online, but not if it's going to cost a lot for the bandwidth.

There's no built-in data transfer counter (at least not user accessible) in Trine 2, but online coop has constant bandwidth requirement of few (sometimes more) kilobytes per seconds, twice that if you are hosting three player game. Sometimes it can be quite a lot more, although the game does throttle down if there's congestion (so it really depends on the speed of your connection).

Now, I'm not sure if you mean gigabits or gigabytes with "gb". If that's bits, then at ten kilobytes per second it would only take less than 3.5 hours to consume it. For bytes, it would be under 28 hours. Either way, it's a pretty severe data cap if you are in to online gaming.

-JLarja

Return to “Trine 2”