Can't allocate skill points (PS3) (Asian HK & JPN)

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
Sanjilyh

Can't allocate skill points (PS3) (Asian HK & JPN)

Postby Sanjilyh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:33 pm

I owe a asia PS3 set and bought Trine 2 today through the US store. The game is amazingly fun, and i enjoy every moment of it.

However, i am unable to spent my skills points. I am in chapter 7 or 8, have 13 skill points to use, but i cant add them to any of the skills. I rapidly press circle, but no reponse. Do i need to reach to a specified stage to learn skill? Or i need any item?

Thanks.

Frozenbyte edit (please read):

Unfortunately this issue still exists on Asian PlayStation 3 consoles if the game has been bought from the US PlayStation Store. We have not been able to fix this.

If you are experiencing this, please get in touch via email: support[at]frozenbyte[dot]com

We are very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.
Last edited by Sanjilyh on Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

FB_Esa

Re: Can't allocate skill points (PS3)

Postby FB_Esa » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:38 pm

Hello Sanjilyh!

If you want to use skillpoints, you have to press the "X" button, not the "O"/circle button.

Sanjilyh

Postby Sanjilyh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:45 pm

As i suspected, the problem is with the butons.

My PS3 is asia region, hence the confirm button is O and the cancel button is X. When i press X, I will quit from the skill UI. When i press O, a sound is trigger, but the skill points is not used.

Hopefully, there is a walkaround way to allocate skill point. I like the game alot, hence i bought it at day1

FB_Esa

Postby FB_Esa » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Whoops...
The things you learn when you get older :)

This is indeed a problem and its been forwarded to our coders. Thanks for bringing this to our knowledge.

Sanjilyh

Postby Sanjilyh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:00 pm

I am not very young either. Previously, i bought trime on the US store, it work perfectly fine.

Anyway, thanks for your quick response. =)

Sanjilyh

Postby Sanjilyh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:21 pm

I tried to reinstalled, but it still doesnt work. The strange thing is that this issue only occur when in the skill dialogue. I tried to press every avaliable buttons on my ps3 controller, yet i cant learn skill when i have 1 skill point left in chapter 2.

Hopefully, there is a patch to fix this issue. I can't clear some of the puzzle when my wizard cannot draw plank. Sigh~

Sanjilyh

Re: Can't allocate skill points (PS3) (asia)

Postby Sanjilyh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:00 pm

Below is the screenshot:

I have 13 skills point left. When the circle button (O) is pressed, a "bing" sound was heard, but it does nothing. When the "X" button is pressed, it will quit from the skill screen. Pressing any other buttons does nothing to the game.

godsglaive

Postby godsglaive » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:22 pm

same here also.

https://twitter.com/#!/max01payne/statu ... 04/photo/1

how was this game able to pass QA. things like this annoys me to no end. simple button layout and frozenbyte cant implement properly. great game but this is a downer.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:32 pm

You know what, I agree. :?
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

godsglaive

Postby godsglaive » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:35 pm

fb_joel wrote:You know what, I agree. :?

so whats the workaround till u guys release a patch.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:37 pm

There is no workaround at the moment. The buttons can't be swapped from the system settings apparently.

We are investigating this but right now it would be wise for all users who own a PS3 that has the X/O buttons inverted, to not buy the game.

A patch will unfortunately not happen anytime soon, the process takes a long time so at the moment it's completely screwed up.

We will offer refunds via PayPal (or Steam codes) to everybody affected, please contact us via email (support). We can't offer any official PSN refunds because that's out of our control - you can try your luck with Sony.

Edit: I should also note that the problem only affects Asian/Japanese consoles. North American and European consoles work fine with the game.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:47 pm

The support email is best. Please indicate which option is best as the refund; PayPal money refund (please provide the email registered on the service as well), Trine 2 Steam code (PC/Mac) or Trine 2 Mac App Store code. If none of these work then we'll have to think of something else.

Edit: I hope I didn't accidentally delete the message in-between. If so I apologize.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Sanjilyh

Postby Sanjilyh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:51 pm

fb_joel wrote:The support email is best. Please indicate which option is best as the refund; PayPal money refund (please provide the email registered on the service as well), Trine 2 Steam code (PC/Mac) or Trine 2 Mac App Store code. If none of these work then we'll have to think of something else.

Edit: I hope I didn't accidentally delete the message in-between. If so I apologize.

Don't worry. You did not delete my post; i deleted it myself

Thank for the quick reply, fb_Joel. I guess i have to wait longer to enjoy this game.

FB_Lauri

Re: Can't allocate skill points (PS3) (asia/JPN)

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:01 pm

I'd like to also comment this: Yes, this is our fault, we've made a bug which affects players using the Japanese controller layout.

However, I'd like to say that our title spend(s) 2-4 months in console manufacturer QA which, for the given time, should be very, very, very throughout.

If things like this passes I'm ready to agree that they should just move to faster approval policy and approve everything and let developer fix things day 1 they appear. For example, we could fix this for tomorrow if we would be allowed, but as we are not, it will likely take 4-6 months and our only suggestion is that people from certain region should not buy the game. Which of course saddens us a lot.

We have released 12 support updates in Steam so far, including a lot of requests from players (so it's not just that we have a buggy crappy game). We would love to do this to all platforms, and we want to support our customers until most if not everyone are satisfied. Sadly in console platforms this is out of our reach.

godsglaive

Re: Can't allocate skill points (PS3) (Asian HK & JPN)

Postby godsglaive » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:05 pm

ok. we will have to wait then. really love this game. thanks

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:09 pm

godsglaive wrote:ok. we will have to wait then. really love this game. thanks

We will make everything we can to reduce the wait time, but our hands are really tied with this. If nothing else helps we will fund the patch from our own pocket.

godsglaive

Postby godsglaive » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:23 pm

Sanjilyh, best thing now is to borrow a us console from a friend and enjoy the game which is what am gonna do 2moro

Sanjilyh

Postby Sanjilyh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:24 pm

4 - 6 months?! Ouch....

I imported many games (including trine 1) from US PSN since their store release new games faster as compare to other regions. Sad to say, this is the first time i encountered region control key issue.

I know programming a little, and my guess for the key listener for skill screen is as following:

switch(KEY){
case CANCEL_BUTTON:
ExitSkillScreen();
break;
Case X_BUTTON:
displaySkillInfo();
}

If only the X button is change to the confirm button or something... This type of bug a minor bug if it is spoted early.

Well... I love frozenbyte for the active moderator support in the forum. I also love FB for bringing great games like Trine 2 to us gamers! =)
Last edited by Sanjilyh on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanjilyh

Postby Sanjilyh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 pm

godsglaive wrote:Sanjilyh, best thing now is to borrow a us console from a friend and enjoy the game which is what am gonna do 2moro

I am from Singapore (South-east Asia), and unlucky for me, most of the shops in my country are selling HongKong region PS3. Some shops import US PS3, but none of my friend owns it (as far as i could recall)

I guess my best option is to wait patiently for the possible patch.

Enjoy your game =)

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:49 pm

Yes, it's a silly tiny little bug. Yet patching is a ridiculous process, and would be on any console.

The longer-than-life approval process is supposed to prevent this kind of issues. Now, as it clearly doesn't, it is very questionable why to combine super-long approval of bugs with nearly impossible patching. We would prefer Steam-like nearly instant patching, but who would listen to a small developer. :|

Sanjilyh

Postby Sanjilyh » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:16 am

FB_Lauri wrote:Yes, it's a silly tiny little bug. Yet patching is a ridiculous process, and would be on any console.

The longer-than-life approval process is supposed to prevent this kind of issues. Now, as it clearly doesn't, it is very questionable why to combine super-long approval of bugs with nearly impossible patching. We would prefer Steam-like nearly instant patching, but who would listen to a small developer. :|

*Like*

Thanks for sharing insight information.

ofvgard

Postby ofvgard » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:39 am

Im so sad. I waited so long for this game. I guess I can wait for japan to release it too. But who knows when its gonna come out. Plus it was double the price when it did :-( I wonder how far I can get into this game without leveling up

ofvgard

Postby ofvgard » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:09 am

I dont want a refund. Can you arrange to give me a free PC version instead?

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:49 am

Sanjilyh wrote:I know programming a little, and my guess for the key listener for skill screen is as following:

switch(KEY){
case CANCEL_BUTTON:
ExitSkillScreen();
break;
Case X_BUTTON:
displaySkillInfo();
}

If only the X button is change to the confirm button or something... This type of bug a minor bug if it is spoted early.

Yeah, it's not quite that simple, but not far off either. The thing with accept/cancel swap is that it isn't done by hardware. So we are actually listening for X and O buttons and just bind accept = X and cancel = O in NA and Europe and swap them in Asia. Unfortunately, skill screen doesn't use accept binding but has its own purchaseSkill binding, which isn't swapped. Fix for this is really trivial, as you suspected. We just completely forgot to test on Asian PS3. Very sorry about this.

-JLarja

musibatkhan

Postby musibatkhan » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:07 pm

So what is the solution?? whats going to happen now?

me and my wife really want to play this game and we cant level up :( and we have already bought it.

a final word would be good. can we with JP or Asian PS3 be able to play it in near future or should we just give up?

Return to “Trine 2”