Can't allocate skill points (PS3) (Asian HK & JPN)

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
sesame_shining

Re: Can't allocate skill points (PS3) (Asian HK & JPN)

Postby sesame_shining » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:45 am

FB_Esa wrote:Additionally, you can actually go as far as Icewarden Keep without skills. You can continue beyond this point but you need a friend to get past a certain part in the level. Other than that, you can pretty much beat the game without any skill upgrades :)

ps. In the Mushroom Murk, you don't have to light up the plants in order to continue. You can do it "blind" but of course its much harder.

wow, there left two levels yet that I can pass through! :o I keep studying and trying harder (and recommending Trine2 to my friends :D ).

thanks so much!

Kikmaidog

Postby Kikmaidog » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:25 pm

With 100 replies this thread is the 2nd most popular on the board, with over 20k views it's the 4th most popular, and it seems to have the 2nd most pages of all the threads I can see. I'd say those stats lend some weight to how often people search for and find this thread because they're having a similar issue, and it's not necessarily just the 'few' of us as stated earlier in the thread.

I'm having the same issue, after finally sitting down to play Trine 2 when getting some free time after having completed the first one and enjoying it so much - but can't add the skill points (live in and have a Singapore PS3). As with everyone else, I would like a patch, and I find it crazy that Sony makes it so hard to provide the ability for any developer to patch their own game, small or large - for a system that is meant to be all about its ability to dynamically update issues after release with an internet patch system. I'd like to blame Sony for that, but every other game that has had a similar game breaking issue seems to have gotten a patch, so I think it's only fair to blame both Sony's system (that sounds incredibly limiting) and FB at the same time for not even attempting it (without explaining as anything but very hard and/or time consuming to get the patch through) - that is fairly frustrating to see that it's not even been attempted month after month. I think I understand why, and I definitely sympathize (see below), but it's still frustrating all the same.

For the O/X swapped on Asia/JPN consoles, I have to squarely blame Sony. While I do think testing on all global consoles is very important this is not the first game this has happened on (There were similar debilitating bugs on Red Dead Redemption, but they got it wrong again on LA Confidential which also had the same bug from the same developer, and they have a huge budget!!). Till the day I die I will never understand why Sony let this O/X thing happen in the first place. I DO understand why O is accept in Asia and Japan, as O (maru) means acceptance, right, go ahead, good etc. in Japan at least where Sony comes from. Whereas X (batsu) means bad, stop, no good, wrong. It makes perfect sense to have it that way around. What doesn't make any sense at all is why Sony would allow a complete diversion from that standard everywhere else in the world, where X becomes the accept key, and O becomes the back/cancel key. The rest of the world would have never cared for even 2 seconds if it had been the other way around. NOW they would care, because for years and years they've gotten used to X being accept and O being cancel... but why ever let that happen in the first place? It's just plain stupid. And then to build it into the hardware with no soft setting on the current ps3 generation just makes absolutely zero (0) sense! Sony should absolutely smack themselves in the mouth for creating such a stupid mis-standard that leads innocent developers into getting this wrong and increasing either a) testing time/budget requirements, or b) letting this issue happen over and over again.

Also it wouldn't be so bad if the Asia PS3 store wasn't so appallingly bad, with such horrendously woeful support, late games, late patches, poor PS+ support, etc. light years behind the US & European PS3 stores, all to support a piece of hardware that is hardwired differently to the rest of the world, that leads people to keep buying games from the US store and keep getting this issue. Have seen it on at least 10-15 games before, so there are a lot out there.

My only advice would be when coding games for PS3 would be to be very careful of mixing use of the accept/confirm 'function' with hard mapping O/X. I'm sure that's where this issue gets created each time it happens.

So overall I think Sony has a massive part to play in this unfortunate situation, and given how much their fault it is, I really think they should allow patching this sort of issue at no charge on their behalf. Having said that, on Sony's track record since the release of the PS3, rather than allowing free/quick patches for O/X issues for developers they would probably rather sooner just take away region free gaming altogether. That would match their policy of removing linux, ps2 support, 5 logins per account etc. all in the spirit of... wait, what's all the feature removal in the spirit of again?

Great game FB, I hope we see a patch or fix (even in the form of DLC) real soon though :)

filippin

Postby filippin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:37 pm

So, we will have a correction for this grotesque error? I bought the game so few minutes latter i discovered this bug :(. Now what? change my ps3 Asian for an american does not pay.

TaLTaL55

Postby TaLTaL55 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:03 pm

I have a US ps3 consle and I too have this problem. how is that possible?
(I bought trine 2 from the US store.)

FB_Esa

Postby FB_Esa » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:31 am

TaLTaL55 wrote:I have a US ps3 consle and I too have this problem. how is that possible?
(I bought trine 2 from the US store.)

Hello TaLtaL55.

As far as im aware, there shouldn't be any problems with US PS3 but you can easily tell if your PS3 is Asian. If the confirm button on your gamepad is O instead of X, then its Asian.
For some reason the button layout is different for regions outside of Asia.

lancebukkake

Postby lancebukkake » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:06 pm

Will Trine 2: Goblin Menace be released for the PS3 and if so will it have the X/O button fix?

fuchswagen

Postby fuchswagen » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:25 am

I would also like to know if the DLC will come to ps3 with a fixing patch. I would actually buy the DLC if the problem is fixed cause I like the game (up to the point where I realized no skill points for me). It has been MONTHS since release and no patch. I don't even think anything was submitted to SONY at all. It definitely doesn't take months to get a patch out.
A response would be nice on my and previous posters question, thanks.

lancebukkake

Postby lancebukkake » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:26 pm

I guess the X/O button issue will not get addressed - what a shame.

Yads88

Postby Yads88 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi, everyone! New, here.
Are you guys currently working on this? Wanted the game so bad I just went for all the Youtube reviews, without first checking for any major bugs. Now my Asian PS3 does this to the game and I really don't want to let go of it, so I'd really appreciate it if something is being done to sort this out.

Yads88

Postby Yads88 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi, everyone! New, here.
Question: are you guys currently working on this? I just bought the game last night and I don't want to let go of it (or mess with the PS3 files, of course xD) so I'd really appreciate it if there's something being done to sort this out.

lancebukkake

Postby lancebukkake » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:49 am

Yads88 wrote:Hi, everyone! New, here.
Question: are you guys currently working on this? I just bought the game last night and I don't want to let go of it (or mess with the PS3 files, of course xD) so I'd really appreciate it if there's something being done to sort this out.

I've been waiting patiently for a fucking year. Looks like we wasted our fucking money.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Sorry for the lack of replies here! (We'll try to do a better job here in 2013, we're planning to revamp our website and everything so it would be easier on all fronts.)

If you are suffering from the X/O problem, please get in touch with support by email! That is the only way we can address the problem, we cannot do it here on the forums.

As for the Goblin Menace expansion - right now we are not sure if it will be released on PSN (or XBLA). There's many reasons for that, one being that we don't really know how well the new levels would run on the consoles, and we suspect they would not run very well without optimizations (which could be done one way or another but might be too much work, especially if we'd have to tone down the art and the textures manually). Then there's the whole business side and trying to get it released etc, and trying to make sure nothing goes wrong when we update the game from 1.00 to 1.20 or something, which essentially means 20 updates that we've done for PC/Mac - it's almost guaranteed to explode in a big way, sadly, causing a lot of bugs and crashes and such, and that would mean a costly and very lengthy technical testing process on the consoles. And if we get stuck in a "testing loop" so to speak, it could be disastrous financially.

And finally there's the fact that the game has not sold very well on XBLA and PSN. :( It's not a subject I like to bring up because obviously that should not matter to existing customers (hence - please get in touch by email!), but it is a fact that we cannot ignore when making decisions that affect the whole team. I cannot talk about specific sales numbers (you can always look at the XBLA Leaderboards to get an idea though) but it's been much less than we had hoped for, because the whole console digital download channel model seems to have changed drastically in the time we developed and released Trine 2 in 2009-2011. There's been a bunch of games that should have sold a lot better... Basically XBLA and PSN have brought in perhaps 10-20% of the money we spent on the game. The rest we have got from PC (mostly Steam) and Mac, and now Linux and Wii U - all platforms where we are able to self-publish, which makes things a lot easier in every way (and the Wii U eShop, in the beginning at least, seems to be a good place for game developers). So while it would make sense to get the Goblin Menace expansion released on XBLA and PSN, it might not make sense when we factor in all the costs and effort it takes to make it happen... We usually try to "do the good thing" when it's possible, but when that requires the time and effort of our programmers and artists (compared to say, management or QA/design), and delays our future games, and might be negative on the bottom line, it's getting harder to justify. :(

That said, at the moment we haven't yet figured out the first part (how much effort it would take to get the game running on X360 and PS3). Once we know that, we'll make the final decision. It's just not looking very positive at the moment.

To reiterate regarding the X/O problem, please get in touch by email ( http://www.frozenbyte.com/contact , [email protected] ), and we will help. We are a bit overwhelmed with support issues at the moment so if you have already gotten in touch, then I apologize and will try to get to it soon (feel free to mention the date or subject of the email so I can look for it specifically).

Also, on this issue I must apologize for the lack of communication/updates - sorry! The past few years have been hectic, and while we are doing better than we have in the past, we have paid a price for that and that price has been our support functions. It has not been working as well as it should. We're aiming to improve this now in 2013 and I hope that we can offer better support as the year progresses, so things will hopefully go smoother in the future. Sorry about the mess up until now!

- Joel, Vice President, Frozenbyte
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Gori

Postby Gori » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:33 pm

Hi there.

I recently bought the game and I wonder if the problem has been solved.

Thank you.

MarjutFB

Postby MarjutFB » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:59 am

Gori wrote:Hi there.

I recently bought the game and I wonder if the problem has been solved.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, the issue is still occuring.

Please get in touch with our Support, you can email at Support[at]Frozenbyte[dot]com.

Cheers!

Return to “Trine 2”