PS3 version of Trine 2 doesn't offer 3D?

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
titemoi

PS3 version of Trine 2 doesn't offer 3D?

Postby titemoi » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:35 pm

I've been reading all about the astonishing graphics and gameplay immersion of Trine 2 in 3D, but is this not an option for PS3?

I've only played the Demo version of Trine 2 and some features are usually cancelled in game demos, but here is a screenshot of what the visual settings with 3d option looks like for the PC version:
http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US/sha ... ptions.png

Hope someone can clear this out for me to help choose between PC or PS3 - I'd prefer the latter.

Thanks a bunch!

FB_Lauri

Re: PS3 version of Trine 2 doesn't offer 3D?

Postby FB_Lauri » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:34 am

Unfortunately the 3D is only possible with PC's due that the 3D is very demanding with the computing power needed. :?

krylke

Postby krylke » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:57 pm

Thats youst bullshit or lazyness. If uncharted 3 can have 3D trine2 shure as hell can

krylke

Postby krylke » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:04 pm

Youst want to say, for me this is a Huge letdown. After hearing how fantastic the game looks in 3D on pc this made me really sad. I was a huge fan of the first trine and I was looking forward to trine 2 but sadly the lack of 3D in the consol versions is enough for me not supporting the game. I will not buy this game unless a 3D version for the consoles is released or patched.

Zybex

Postby Zybex » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:26 pm

krylke wrote:Thats youst bullshit or lazyness. If uncharted 3 can have 3D trine2 shure as hell can

Not quite. Uncharted is a PS3 exclusive, and Trine 2 is not.

Uncharted was created by Naughty Dog - a big developer, with many years of experience in devoloping ONLY for PS3. Also, NG has geniuses in terms of coding. It's the most skilled or at least one of the most skilled team in terms of coding and conjuring better visuals than everyone though was possible on given platform. Just look at Jak&Daxter series for PS2. They are REALLY talented.

so:
- much more people
- MUCH bigger budget
- MUCH more time (Uncharted engine is developed since 2005 or so)
- much bigger budget again ;)
- PS3 focused (that one alone answers your doubts)

PS3 version could be in 3D but you cannot possibly expect the same visuals level as PC version in 3D. And then - people would moan about how ugly PS3 version is.
Trine 2 is GPU intensive, Cell from PS3 WOULD NOT help even a little. Best case scenario - Cell could calculate postprocess pseudo Antialiasing.
So, what we have, in GPU:
PC: 48ROPS, PS 3: 8 ROPs (pixel counting parts of graphics chips. Really needed since 3D means twice the requirements)
PC: 128TMU, PS3: 24 TMU (texture speed)

Not to mention the tiny RAM in PS3 (just 256+256MB)
Any more doubts?
PS3 is year 2005 based piece of hardware. Don't expect miracles.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:21 pm

Yeah, Zybex pretty much summed it up. We've used every last fragment of power consoles can offer. :)

Of course with huge amount of work the 3D could happen with reasonable resolution/framerate/etc., but the amount of work would be so tremendous that we won't even consider doing it.

Personally I'm really happy that we can offer console players very much the same looks as PC players get, even that has been a small miracle from our programmers.

krylke

Postby krylke » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:23 am

I hope u reallize that im not angry youst dissapointed. So many games come with 3D now eaven crossplatform. And beeing a huge 3D fan it breaks my heart that i never going to experience the game That people call the best 3D game to date. Frankly i would have taken a blow to the visuals to have the option of playing it in 3D om console too.

clayton2

Postby clayton2 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:23 pm

No way. I'll take better 2D visuals than reduced visuals that have 3D any day.
I really hope that 3D is just a phase and goes away sometime, because having to wear glasses is ridiculous.

Frozenbyte did a great job on Trine 2, and it looks amazing on my Xbox 360. Can't wait to see your next big project!

artox

Postby artox » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:26 pm

clayton2, bashing 3d achieves nothing, especially if you haven't tried it and you decide to share your negativism regardless. I have played both Trine games in s-3d and stereoscopy adds immensely to the gameplay. That being said, as great as Uncharted 3 was in s-3d the sub-hd resolution really shows, therefore more powerful consoles are needed to make s-3d a viable option for console gamers. For pc players this isn't really an issue so s-3d should be implemented on all future titles, as it more than just a fad. As for wearing glasses, you should mind that this is not a fashion show and if you are worried about how you look you should consider that gaming is not very popular among the ladies, be it with or without glasses. If you find glasses uncomfortable you should consider that there are models only 26g in weight, which are a breeze to wear.

SoOp7

Postby SoOp7 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:22 pm

Just so the OP can see what my pc is, hopefully he is some what familiar with computer parts. Granted I just played this game for the first time yesterday on pc via steam download of the demo, I purchased it for my xbox 360 this morning , so I can actually give a accurate description on both console , and pc.

Intel i7 950 3.2 gig
6 gigs OCZ Reaper Tri Chan 1600mhz 6-8-6-24 1.65v
Evga Gtx 460 1gb superclocked in sli
Corsair tx 750w power supply
Creative Xfi Titanium Pro Fatality sound card
24" LG LED monitor 1080p 60hz
pc was built oct 2010.. Its old..
My video card temps hover @ 90c + , with fans turned up to 80%.. THAT IS VERY HOT ! When i play battlefield with @ ultra my temps will peak @ 83ish , but generally stay around the low 70 range.

OP - Trine 2 is more demanding on my video cards " More than 1 video card " I have 2 video cards than really any game, it is on par with Battlefield 3 / metro 2033 / Crysis / GTA V / CIV 5 / Final Fantasy 14. These 2 video cards set me back roughly 500 dollars when i purchased them new, oct 2010. My xbox was only 300 dollars when i bought it new.

I did a side by side comparison of Trine 2 on pc, and Trine 2 on xbox 360. It is pathetic, the console graphic a lone make me want to turn the game off, it looks terrible compared to pc graphics, and i mean very very bad. The color isnt even close to as good as pc, the detail of your avatar is NO WHERE NEAR what it is on my pc, nothing looks as well as it does on pc, and it is VERY noticeable. I.E - First 15 seconds of the game i knew it didnt even look the same, even the story book pages didnt look as good as they do on pc...

I can fully understand why they are unable to make this game 3d ready for consoles, and I for one am not a pc elitist, i am just aware " and have been for years " that pc gaming , and console gaming are on 2 totally different ends of the video gaming spectrum. The amount of power that a pc has , let alone the power of pc's gpu is so much more powerful than consoles. The online is a completely different animal between the two, the communities , everything is different.

When I changed the config file to 16 , my video cards bogged down to 10 fps...

*******************************________---> ANALOGIES !

Its like changing from reg tv to 1080p. The pc is the 1080p, console is the tv.

Youre basically wanting them to give your ford fiesta, the power of a mustang gt. It can be done " check out ken blocks fiesta ->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TshFWSsrn8 " , but it shouldnt be done lol.

Its like switching to broadband for the first time. Do you remember what 56k dial up was like?

Return to “Trine 2”