PC Vs. Consoles

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
aryaei

PC Vs. Consoles

Postby aryaei » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:18 am

Hi,

i have some technical questions about trine 2 on consoles:
Texture Quality:?
Resolution:?
V-Sync:?
Anti-Aliasing:?
Last edited by aryaei on Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aryaei

Re: PC Vs. Consoles

Postby aryaei » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:15 pm

is it Confidential?

FB_Esa

Postby FB_Esa » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:09 pm

Hi aryaei!

No they are not confidential, it just took some time to get the info for the questions :)

Resolution: 720p
V-Sync: Yes, always on
Anti-aliasing: Yes
Texture Quality: Almost same as in PC.

Hope this helps! :)

fb_juha

Postby fb_juha » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:21 pm

Sorry, I missed this post. Information below applies to both consoles.

Console builds use post-process anti-aliasing called FXAA. Compared to PC, texture quality isn't that much lower - there are something between 30-40 textures which have been down scaled by dropping the highest mipmap level for consoles.

We cap frame rate to 30 using v-sync. However, in case we'd run slower than 30 fps we disable vertical sync. Frame rate shouldn't really drop below 30, though. We use adaptive resolution, which adjusts rendering resolution and anisotropic texture filtering based on time it takes to render the frame.

Best case is 1280x720 + 8x anisotropic filtering while worst case is 20% less pixels + 2x anisotropic filtering. There are a few steps between these, and in practice it should be running most of the time with the best case settings.

Kein

Postby Kein » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:18 pm

PC version is still far superior from any console version. With powerful GPU you can alter GFX settings to get better results (resolution, anti-aliasing, etc.)

aryaei

Postby aryaei » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:09 pm

thanks FB_Esa & fb_juha,it seems very good

Borc

Postby Borc » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:18 pm

FB_Esa wrote:Hi aryaei!

No they are not confidential, it just took some time to get the info for the questions :)

Graphics detail level:

???

miscend

Postby miscend » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:20 am

fb_juha wrote:Sorry, I missed this post. Information below applies to both consoles.

Console builds use post-process anti-aliasing called FXAA. Compared to PC, texture quality isn't that much lower - there are something between 30-40 textures which have been down scaled by dropping the highest mipmap level for consoles.

We cap frame rate to 30 using v-sync. However, in case we'd run slower than 30 fps we disable vertical sync. Frame rate shouldn't really drop below 30, though. We use adaptive resolution, which adjusts rendering resolution and anisotropic texture filtering based on time it takes to render the frame.

Best case is 1280x720 + 8x anisotropic filtering while worst case is 20% less pixels + 2x anisotropic filtering. There are a few steps between these, and in practice it should be running most of the time with the best case settings.

I've played the demo of the 360 build which is excellent. But I think I will wait for the just announced Directors Cut version. Have you got more potential to push graphics further on the Wii U build?

fb_juha

Postby fb_juha » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:03 am

miscend wrote:I've played the demo of the 360 build which is excellent. But I think I will wait for the just announced Directors Cut version. Have you got more potential to push graphics further on the Wii U build?

Yes!

:wink:

fb_juha

Postby fb_juha » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:09 am

Borc wrote:
FB_Esa wrote:Hi aryaei!

Graphics detail level:

???

Compared to PC, PS3 and Xbox360 builds are running medium'ish graphics detail levels. They are not exactly comparable, as console builds have more fine grained system specific tweaking included.

Borc

Postby Borc » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:12 am

That's pretty good I think. And for the Wii U it is in the high'ish range or more like Xbox360/PS3 medium comparable? (I reckon it runs in 720p @30 fps with FXAA)

Return to “Trine 2”