Rosabel's fate and motives (SPOILERS)

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
Aurondarklord

Rosabel's fate and motives (SPOILERS)

Postby Aurondarklord » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:48 am

Having just completed Trine 2, I find myself somewhat confused as to the ending and what was going on. The game does not make it entirely clear whether Rosabel survives falling into the water and is rescued by Isabel, or if she's dead and Isabel merely recovers her body. I also have a bit of confusion as to her motivations and why she tries to fight the heroes. the story, as best I can figure it out based on the poems and cutscenes, goes like this:

Isabel and Rosabel are the best of friends in their youth, but as the twins grow up, and Isabel is given more attention and favor, Rosabel comes to resent her. Finally, when Isabel is named heir to the throne, Rosabel is pushed over the edge and lashes out, casting a sleeping spell on her sister and usurping the throne.

Rosabel then proves to be an extremely unqualified ruler, resulting in the kingdom being taken over by an army of goblins. Rosabel is run out of her castle and takes refuge in her treehouse, where, having lost both her sister and her crown now, she falls into despair and regret, and wishes she could take back what she did to Isabel, but she has no means of breaking the spell she cast.

When she meets the heroes, she initially sends them to go chase the goblins out of her kingdom, but when she realizes they have the Trine, she decides she can use the artifact to restore Isabel, and tries to take it from the heroes with the help of her dragon. This fails, but the Trine revives Isabel anyway, who then rescues Rosabel after she falls into the lake, forgiving her sister in spite of all she's done.

So my assumption is that Rosabel survives, but this is not directly stated. So really what I'm asking is
1: do I have it right that Rosabel wanted the Trine to undo the spell she cast on Isabel?
2: did Rosabel survive the game's ending?
3: if she did, what became of the sisters? Did they ultimately make up and forgive each other?

What do you guys think? If a Frozenbyte employee could respond and answer my questions, that would be extra awesome.

FB_Esa

Re: Rosabel's fate and motives

Postby FB_Esa » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:34 pm

You actually answered to yourself there Aurondarklord :D

Great story analysis, unfortunately we can't really answer those questions as the fate of Rosabel is left open on purpose. There are no real answers as they haven't been written yet :)

But overall, great work on the analysis! Glad to see this kind of things posted from time to time.
Shows how awesome our community is 8)

xitrum

Postby xitrum » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:18 pm

Nice analysis. I agree with most of the analysis except the part where Rosabel wanted to use the Trine to undo the spell cast on Isabel. I recall her mentioning using the Trine to restore the kingdom, but no mention of Isabel. And the fact that she unleashed the dragon to try to take the Trine forcefully from the heroes reveals her true motive. She could have asked the heroes to use the Trine themselves to revive Isabel. (But that wouldn't be fun for us! :D )

As with many good stories, the ending should be left for interpretation... and imagination!

Dartaen

Postby Dartaen » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Aurondarklord wrote:Rosabel then proves to be an extremely unqualified ruler, resulting in the kingdom being taken over by an army of goblins. Rosabel is run out of her castle and takes refuge in her treehouse, where, having lost both her sister and her crown now, she falls into despair and regret, and wishes she could take back what she did to Isabel, but she has no means of breaking the spell she cast.

When she meets the heroes, she initially sends them to go chase the goblins out of her kingdom, but when she realizes they have the Trine, she decides she can use the artifact to restore Isabel, and tries to take it from the heroes with the help of her dragon. This fails, but the Trine revives Isabel anyway, who then rescues Rosabel after she falls into the lake, forgiving her sister in spite of all she's done.

In fact, not all of this is mentioned in the game. There is no explanation how (and why) the kingdom was overtaken by goblins, and how Rosabel changed profession from queen to witch. Rosabel only vaguely speaks of how the forest stole Isabel's powers, whatever these might have been. And Rosabel just seems to need Isabel to restore the kingdom, she is not regretting her actual betrayal.

Pity that Rosabel's motivations were not explored more thoroughly. In fact, the scenery in Searock Castle (ocean, thunderstorm) and Icewarden Keep (cold, fire) could have served as a great metaphor to explain her inner struggle. Sadly nothing of this happened.

FB_Lauri

Re: Rosabel's fate and motives (SPOILERS)

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:04 am

Aurondarklord wrote:So my assumption is that Rosabel survives, but this is not directly stated. So really what I'm asking is
1: do I have it right that Rosabel wanted the Trine to undo the spell she cast on Isabel?
2: did Rosabel survive the game's ending?
3: if she did, what became of the sisters? Did they ultimately make up and forgive each other?

What do you guys think? If a Frozenbyte employee could respond and answer my questions, that would be extra awesome.

I'll open first the development side a bit: the story of Trine 2 is a work of many people due the sheer fact that our writer joined the company only mid-way of the development. This is far from ideal, and in the future we will of course get more consistent stories as they are mostly by the same person :)

Now answers based on my (limited and subjective) understanding:

1. Rosabel didn't anticipate the negative effects to the forest and to the kingdom which were caused by her sleep spell cast on Isabel, so she indeed wanted to cancel at least the bad parts of the spell.
2. Our writer wanted to kill Rosabel but many of the development team felt it would be too strong ending for Trine so it was left open on purpose.

Dartaen wrote:In fact, not all of this is mentioned in the game. There is no explanation how (and why) the kingdom was overtaken by goblins, and how Rosabel changed profession from queen to witch. Rosabel only vaguely speaks of how the forest stole Isabel's powers, whatever these might have been. And Rosabel just seems to need Isabel to restore the kingdom, she is not regretting her actual betrayal.

Pity that Rosabel's motivations were not explored more thoroughly. In fact, the scenery in Searock Castle (ocean, thunderstorm) and Icewarden Keep (cold, fire) could have served as a great metaphor to explain her inner struggle. Sadly nothing of this happened.

I think (again, subjective!) that goblins only saw their opportunity when magic cast on Isabel harmed the forest and its defenses.

Also I think Rosabel was queen (with stolen crown, ie. appointed by herself) all the way and the heroes only mistook her as a witch, or Rosabel intended it to be so.

Aurondarklord

Postby Aurondarklord » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:50 pm

if she was so self-appointed though, who was it in the picture of her coronation placing the crown on her head? I had assumed it was more along the lines of she made Isabel disappear in mysterious circumstances, and was the next natural choice and was properly crowned by...whatever religious or governmental official places the crown on the monarch's head and leads them in the coronation oath in their kingdom.

side note, I'm actually arguing about the story with an employee of the company that makes the game...what am I thinking...

Dartaen

Postby Dartaen » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:08 pm

I think (again, subjective!) that goblins only saw their opportunity when magic cast on Isabel harmed the forest and its defenses.

Would have been nice if this had been made clearer. It is never explained why Isabel, as crown princess, should have such a strong bond with the forest. If she is kind of a forest priestess or a druid, should she not live in the forest instead of the Searock Castle?

Also I think Rosabel was queen (with stolen crown, ie. appointed by herself) all the way and the heroes only mistook her as a witch, or Rosabel intended it to be so.

As mentioned by the previous poster, the large painting of her coronation clearly shows it she is crowned by someone else. And why should she not be a witch (and bitch ;-) )? Her tree house is stuffed with cauldrons, tomes, and enchanted mirrors. She can also put people to sleep and conjure demons. That is not what a queen commonly does, is it?

A721

Postby A721 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:39 am

i think rosabel really is a witch, since after killing the boss on lvl 4, the goblins in the background say: "they killed the bonecrusher, but how will they deal with the witch?"
but does that mean rosabel works with the goblins? or they just know her because they remember her when she was the queen of the land they invaded into?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:00 am

Aurondarklord wrote:if she was so self-appointed though, who was it in the picture of her coronation placing the crown on her head? I had assumed it was more along the lines of she made Isabel disappear in mysterious circumstances, and was the next natural choice and was properly crowned by...whatever religious or governmental official places the crown on the monarch's head and leads them in the coronation oath in their kingdom.

I ment to say that Rosabel plotted the whole thing so she was crowned instead of Isabel. I guess she was still second in the line, so clearing Isabel out of the way was enough for the crown :)

Aurondarklord wrote:side note, I'm actually arguing about the story with an employee of the company that makes the game...what am I thinking...

I think it's more than fair, given how little we have explained things ... maybe even we didn't know all the answers 8)

Dartaen wrote:

Would have been nice if this had been made clearer. It is never explained why Isabel, as crown princess, should have such a strong bond with the forest. If she is kind of a forest priestess or a druid, should she not live in the forest instead of the Searock Castle?

In general the narrative in Trine 2 is very limited by the game mechanics: there's room for only a small amount of text in the loading screens, and only very fast dialogue can be spoken during the game without fear of interruption by combat or puzzle sequences. In other words: the gameplay of Trine series does not support very long narrative, and this means we had to cut out a lot of explanations, sometimes missing some points which would been nice for the players. However, we tried to include the "missing" information to the optional stuff, ie. hidden poems and that kind of stuff.

With this case I'm not sure is there a direct answer, but I think it's discussed at least indirectly within the game. I can't remeber how it goes though. :?

A721 wrote:i think rosabel really is a witch, since after killing the boss on lvl 4, the goblins in the background say: "they killed the bonecrusher, but how will they deal with the witch?"
but does that mean rosabel works with the goblins? or they just know her because they remember her when she was the queen of the land they invaded into?

I think the goblins only misunderstood Rosabel as a witch, as she was their enemy as well. Or to be more precise, goblins are enemies to everyone :)

Return to “Trine 2”