Thoughts after 3rd try

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
mystvearn

Thoughts after 3rd try

Postby mystvearn » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:57 pm

Finished it three times now excluding times which I decided to jump levels to collect the poems/paintings, hopefully Trine 3 is will come :D Tried to collect all the orbs, got bored with 10-20 out of total orbs. Great game :D Ari Pulkkinen music is quite nice. Played the game after the new patch also.

I noticed that I tend to over rely on zoya quite a lot and after upgrading the explosive bow, I see little need to use the pontius's hammer. Reason need to change is to defend with the shield. Wished the normal hammer was a fire hammer rather than explosion hammer (which is hard to tell the difference with zoya's bow though. The hammer recharge time is too slow which makes sense its not a bow. For close quarters there is no difference between zoya (explosion bow) and pontius hammer swings/sword though the hammer does deal more damages and quite fun killing goblin bosses with it-easy without even having to have the goblin getting stuck at the side.

One character steam achievement:

One character for entire level is achievable if you play co-op- with players who know the mechanics of the game, if not its hard to impossible especially when you are forced to change to the wizard to do boxes/move pipes. On the third try I had in mind to just use zoya to see how far I'd go with one character and got stuck as I needed to amadeus to arrange the pipes. (If anyone could manage to use one character only playing solo please let me know which level you did it).

Amadeus combat ability

Better than Trine 1 where you are limited to those MP potions. In fact getting rid of the potions all together is better. The wizard's enemy levitation is very handful. Nice to kill zombies by moving them to shooting plants, fire, bee hives, etc. However you can't levitate the fire skull goblin with two fire swords. Also you can't kill all enemies with boxes or if you can levitate enemies, then no spikes are available nearby for tormenting (I meant kill them :mrgreen:). So you can't use the wizard throughout the level especially if enemies decide to gang at once. Well, you sort of can, but be prepared to evade a lot which gives you no chance to draw boxes. You could use the wizard in the final battle by lifting the explosive barrels to the dragon though this is time consuming as you need to wait for the barrels and you are exposed to other kinds of attacks. This boss battle is quite nice a lot better than Trine 1's unforgiving jumping mechanism. Maybe the wizard needs a new shield spell which gives few seconds of immunity so that there is enough time to draw boxes that can kill enemies?

Bug at searock castle?

There is one orb in a wooden box and you cannot get the box as the stone walls prevent you from knocking down. Also the wooden box pressed a switch which closes a stone door for another huge orb. I use zoya and arrowed through the small gap and noticed the orb jumped off the screen due to the explosion bow. Or did I already got the orb? I really assume the orb flew out of the screen. I was going to use amadeus and make a small bridge and pushed the orb through the gap but the orb is gone.

Hopefully in Trine 3 we could see the wizard's fireball spell :roll:

On another note: I'd really hope the wizard could use spells while levitating. Will have a lot of fun just having wizards in game and levitating each other throughout the entire level ignoring the game completely 8) Luckily fb did not allow this.

Herbert

Re: Thoughts after 3rd try

Postby Herbert » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:02 pm

@One character steam achievement: "If anyone could manage to use one character only playing solo please let me know which level you did it"
I just made it in Forlorn Wilderness using only the Knight. Combat is easy. The difficult parts (I don't think I mention them in the right order) involve the elevator pulling up the bridge, the wall used as cover, a bubble and the very first pipe in the game.
  • You need to jump off the elevator as it goes down and walk over the bridge before it descends.
  • You need to jump into the wall (there is a small step in there), charge and jump again to get over it.
  • Jumping atop the bubble you need to ascend as high as possible and then charge off it.
  • You can push a crate into the steam coming from the left pipe and jump on the crate. You only have one try though, as the Knight cannot move the crate when it falls to the right. You can then free the L-pipe and bash it around with the hammer. Eventually it will attatch itself to the outlet.

mystvearn

Postby mystvearn » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Herbert wrote:@One character steam achievement: "If anyone could manage to use one character only playing solo please let me know which level you did it"
I just made it in Forlorn Wilderness using only the Knight. Combat is easy. The difficult parts (I don't think I mention them in the right order) involve the elevator pulling up the bridge, the wall used as cover, a bubble and the very first pipe in the game.
  • You need to jump off the elevator as it goes down and walk over the bridge before it descends.
  • You need to jump into the wall (there is a small step in there), charge and jump again to get over it.
  • Jumping atop the bubble you need to ascend as high as possible and then charge off it.
  • You can push a crate into the steam coming from the left pipe and jump on the crate. You only have one try though, as the Knight cannot move the crate when it falls to the right. You can then free the L-pipe and bash it around with the hammer. Eventually it will attatch itself to the outlet.

Tried with knight. Problem is how do you move the log at the snail? Same problem with thief

I got it by playing with wizard. Not that easy especially you need to camp at the save point when enemies attack nearby. If not just use a big box and crush them or just pick one by one throw to a spike. Another method is to run back to places with those shooting flowers and let them come there. The snake is quite easy. Go near, wait for it to pounce and quickly jump away. Goblin which come in during snake boss just pick it up to shield you.

Dartaen

Postby Dartaen » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:06 am

Tried with knight. Problem is how do you move the log at the snail? Same problem with thief

You do not. Just let the water fall on your shield and try to hold it there while you move forward towards the seed. Might take a few tries, but works. Getting the pipe at the ending into position will be a LOT harder with the knight.

mystvearn

Postby mystvearn » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:30 am

I see. I still think wizard is easier :mrgreen:

Dartaen

Postby Dartaen » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:45 am

mystvearn wrote:I see. I still think wizard is easier :mrgreen:

Definitely. If you have trouble with goblins, I recommend dropping planks on them. Boxes tend to miss charging enemies.

Return to “Trine 2”