Flying with mage...

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
toto9997

Flying with mage...

Postby toto9997 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:32 pm

Hello Team,

Thank you for Trine 2, a great video game...

It would however be a lot better if it was not so easy to exploit the mage levitation skills.

Actually I am able to levitate on my own box to reach any height in any level... Is it a feature? Because if it is, it's kinda lame. If it's not then I can't forbid myself to not use this exploit to reach very specific locations with bonuses (I don't have a strong-will)...

Do you intend to fix this ? The solution is quite easy : mage cannot levitate objects that are under his feet neither can he do that while jumping...

FB_JussiE

Re: Flying with mage...

Postby FB_JussiE » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:23 am

Hello toto997

We've recived lot of feedback about the feature and thus we're looking in to making the self-levitating harder or removing it all together.

artox

Postby artox » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:19 pm

I didn't even think of this possibility before I read about it in the forums. It does indeed make the game easier in single player, but is really no different than what you already do in coop for the other characters (the wizard lifts other characters). What I am interested, however, is whether a particular game area is not traversable without this skill in single player, because if there isn't such an area the feature should indeed be removed.

FB_Esa

Postby FB_Esa » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:27 pm

artox wrote:I didn't even think of this possibility before I read about it in the forums. It does indeed make the game easier in single player, but is really no different than what you already do in coop for the other characters (the wizard lifts other characters). What I am interested, however, is whether a particular game area is not traversable without this skill in single player, because if there isn't such an area the feature should indeed be removed.

There is no area where you are required to use the flying "skill". Like JussiE said, we are currently looking for ways to make this "skill" harder or remove it completely.

Sid_Loman

Postby Sid_Loman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:55 pm

I just need to post here before it's too late. Please DO NOT remove it.

I've seen there are couple (really just couple) of people who don't like it. Fine, then not use it. Frankly, I find the flying usually harder and more tedious to do then "normal" approach, so I never used it during my first playthrough. Yet it was nice knowing it's there, just as a harmless feature for screwing around (aka enjoying the game).

Trine for me was always a game about various approach to various problems. Removing options is just going to dumb the game down.

So devs, please, just take into consideration that the silent majority, which may not even visit this forum, maybe doesn't mind this feature at all and would be disappointed if you removed it. I would certainly be.

A perfect solution would be letting us choose in the game options menu, if we wanted the wizard's flying enabled or not.

BlitzkriegDOOM

Postby BlitzkriegDOOM » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:31 pm

Hi, I randomly stumbled across this forum whilst looking into furute Trine games, (and hopefully Trine 2 DLC). I feel really strongly that the mage should not have the "flying skill" or as my friends and I call it "the surfboard" (two planks) ability removed. It is completely up to the user how they wish to play the game. If they feel "flying" ruins the game, then simply don't do it.
My friends and I have so much fun all playing as the mage and trying to fly around deleting each others "surfboard", playing the game as almost a mage speed run..
After completing the game multiple times, this feature keeps us coming back.

Please do not remove the magical surfboard!!! :)

Working in the industry myself, I dont think it would do the studio or fan base justice to simply remove the ability.I like the above suggestion of having a menu option "if" it is deemed necessary to mute the mages abilities.
-Surfing mage On/Off-

Feel free to add me (and message so I know who it is) on xbox live or Steam, "BlitzkriegDOOM".

darthyoda6

Postby darthyoda6 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:43 pm

I'm also in favour in keeping the flying mage. I only use it when I can't figure out a way to do a puzzle. Like in multiplayer the wizard can float people across things, but I can't always figure out a way to get myself across, at least not quickly.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:58 am

We won't simply remove it but rather make it optional, or based on difficulty level, so everyone can enjoy their preferred play style. 8)

Return to “Trine 2”