When is Trine 2 for Linux comming

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
Khudsa

Re: When is Trine 2 for Linux comming

Postby Khudsa » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:51 am

Hey,

Thank you FB_JussiE. Another quick question, I bought the game because I see the Linux icon and in the forums says that it was released for Linux. I thought it was official. This "pre-sales" or "beta-sales" will count for Linux statistics ? (if you make them, off course). Also, this "product" will be the same as the official Linux release ?

FB_JussiE

Postby FB_JussiE » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:15 pm

Hello again

Sorry for being bit vague in the first post.

It is official release, but we'd like to get some user input (and possibly apply some update(s)) before we go ahead and promote it :)

Also, this "product" will be the same as the official Linux release ?

Yes it is the same purchase and it'll give you the future updates, so don't worry it's not some "sneak peek" version.

As for the statistics, I really do not know how they're handled under the hood, but I'd guess all Linux get counted properly.

ecyrbe

Postby ecyrbe » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi,

First, i have to tell you guys that i love trine and trine 2. I already purchased both of them on steam.
So, now that linux version is coming, will there be a way to install it if we already purchased it on steam without buying the game again for each platform?

Khudsa

Postby Khudsa » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:51 pm

Thank you FB_JussiE,

The game so far works perfect for me, no glitches, no bugs. The installation is not as fancy as a graphical one, but it works ok and does it's job.

My system specs:

- Debian SID amd 64
- AMD Phenom x6 1055t
- 8 GB RAM
- AMD HD5750 Catalyst 12.3
- GNOME 3

hero1900

Postby hero1900 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:33 pm

if i bought the game from the store, i will be having desura key if it came to desura later on??
desura really make things easy for me all games are in my home folder and it has its own libs and any time i want to move them or just make fresh ubuntu install it will be just working so please let us have it there

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi,

I thought I'd comment on few of the Linux version issues presented here, having been involved with the Linux porting...

As I said: the graphics are amazing, but I actually do have SOME graphical glitches... Some that I didn't have with the Wine version. I do have some weird glitches in the background .... sometimes.

Some screenshots:
http://www.seventho.nl/Trine2glitches/glitch1.jpg
http://www.seventho.nl/Trine2glitches/glitch2.jpg

I think at least the first the issue (with sudden change in orange/blue the sky color) might have to do with specific content materials not getting rendered correctly with the fog color. We already had a few of these issues elsewhere, but they were already fixed for the first linux release. We'll have to see more to that specific one and hopefully get it fixed for the next patch.

- Trine 2 on KDE does work now (doesn't crash anymore and I absolutely don't know why)

I think KDE was tested less than, for example, Gnome on our end, but it should still work regardless. If we manage to duplicate the crash on the KDE we'll try to fix it. One thing to notice, that generally speaking, having any additional desktop effects, etc. enabled can hinder the game performance or cause somewhat improper functionality of the game (specifically regarding the fullscreen mode).

At first the game launched fullscreen but the unity desktop was visible on top the game screen (launcher and the top panel). Setting "MaximizeWindow" to "true" helped and the game seems to work as intended now. It runs quite well with"very high" graphics and "high" anti-aliasing.

Yeah, I think our QA already noticed that the unity desktop causes those problems launcher/panels showing on top of the fullscreen or interfering with it. (Also, having any window effects on is likely to cause such issues.) I'm glad you figured how to get it working. In general, if anyone is having problems getting the fullscreen working, its worth a shot to try to turn off any window/desktop effects and try again. Or try to run it in windowed mode, but set the maximize window to true, or turning off the window title bar and adjusting the window size to match the desktop size.

Unfortunately I can't really give a "one solution to fix it for everyone" answer on these issues, as it seems that the fullscreen and/or the desktop launchers/panels seem to be very much Linux distribution and version specific. What works for one, might not work properly for another one - and vice versa. Usually, it is however, somehow possible to tweak the settings so that the game can be played in fullscreen.

(Additionally, anyone having a dual monitor setup and experiencing problems, may want to try to temporarily disable one display and then try it again).

Could be smoother though, and there's very noticeable tearing in the intro video, despite setting vsync on in the launcher. But smooth enough to be very enjoyable anyway.

The vsync selection at the launcher unfortunately currently has no effect.

At least for nvidia cards, the display driver settings offer a "Sync to vblank" checkbox. That seems to have an effect on some systems/configurations (but not on others). Enabling it may remove the tearing that is specifically visible in the videos. (As with the fullscreen issues, this is pretty much a toss of the coin whether it helps or not - and with what kind of settings it helps.)
There might be a similar setting for amd cards as well, but I can't really recall if there was one right offhand here.

As a general smoothness/performance tip, disabling the 30 FPS cap can make the game much more smoother for those who have the processing power. (There are instructions about that in the KNOWN_LINUX_ISSUES file). One should be a little vary about touching that option though, as on some configurations, it will only increase your CPU and GPU load to the max, but at the same time have a major negative impact on the actual game smoothness. (That's why the game limits the framerate to 30 by default on linux.)

The first thing you may notice when you install Trine2, is that you have to install it within the Terminal. You also have to remember (they don't tell you) that you have to use sudo.

The installer is supposed to show a pop-up telling that it needs to be run in the terminal if you try to run it otherwise. I think it sometimes fails to raise the pop-up as the topmost window though, which may cause it to go unnoticed - and I guess it might even fail to show completely on some distributions (none that I know of though). And, yes, its not a very elegant message though... :oops:

As far as using sudo goes, its not really a necessary thing. Basically running without sudo just affects the fact that you won't get the game launcher to the menus (adding a desktop shortcut still works) - and that the installation will be for your user account rather than being system wide. For the most common 32 bit linux distributions, it's also likely that the necessary libraries are already installed, so there won't be a need for sudo with those either. However, for most 64 bit linux distributions, not running the installer with sudo means you'll probably have to install the required libraries manually.

But yes, I think the need (or a general recommendation) for running the installer with sudo should have been better communicated - particularly for the 64 bit distributions.

I think the installation is REALLY HARD for the average PC user (and Linux user).

The installer was created with focus on maximum compatibility with any imaginable (recent) linux distribution. That is why it mainly relies on some gnu coreutils that are expected to be present on all distributions (sh, tar, gzip, dd, etc.). And that's why it is just a terminal program (shell script) merged with a tar container. I'll have to admit (being the quilty one here :oops:) that its definitely not something one would expect of any modern game, so we'll have to see if it could be safely improved for the next patch - without compromising the compatibility.

I hope that everyone still manages to use the current installer to install the game - despite its crude appearance, and lack of maximum usability.

And I hope that those who have already got the game installed enjoy it. :)

Cheeseness

Postby Cheeseness » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:09 pm

fb_jpk wrote:And I hope that those who have already got the game installed enjoy it. :)

I've had it running for a little while natively and it's great to not be using Wine :)
Thanks for the effort you've put into the porting process <3

punquifer

Postby punquifer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:08 pm

Hello,
For someone who is not savvy to the gamer world -- whose only experience with games is setting them up from DVD's -- would someone explain, or provide a link that explains, how one gets the game and linux client? I DO know a bit about linux, but nothing about game sites, resources, etc. I'm looking to buy the Collector's Edition, if possible.
Thank You.

Edit: P.S. I did buy the Steam version, but I have not downloaded it as that appears to be a Windows thing. It was cheap so if that was a mistake, no big loss. The only thing I have been albe to find out about "humble bundle" is a bunch of games, which is not what I want. Just this one.

Cheeseness

Postby Cheeseness » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:12 pm

punquifer wrote:Hello,
For someone who is not savvy to the gamer world -- whose only experience with games is setting them up from DVD's -- would someone explain, or provide a link that explains, how one gets the game and linux client? I DO know a bit about linux, but nothing about game sites, resources, etc. I'm looking to buy the Collector's Edition, if possible.
Thank You.

On the following page are two "Humble Store" thingies, one each for the standard and collectors' edition
http://trine2.com/site/index.php?page=buy

After going through one of the three payment opinions, you'll get redirected to a download page (and get a link via email for future reference).

Hope that helps :)

punquifer

Postby punquifer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:15 pm

Thanks. Will give it a try.

punquifer

Postby punquifer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:10 am

Thanks for the help, and to those who emailed.
Downloaded, and running great. Tried on kubuntu-12.04, works perfectly so far.

I do notice one little glitch, not in the game. but in the ia32-libs-multiarch package. It currently won't install because of a library conflict, which apparently removed the package, but not the other libraries it installed. So do not use the "autoremove" option and you should be OK. Hopefully the conflict will be fixed before the release date. I do have 11.10 if there is any problem, but so far, excellent, beautiful graphics & great audio.

Thanks to Frozenbyte for supporting linux!

Nepenthes

Postby Nepenthes » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:50 am

Just finished it !
Thanks Frozenbyte !

texaco

Postby texaco » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:31 am

Hi guys!

I'm so glad with the linux version of trine2.

Therefore, I bought the Collector Edition.

It's working pretty nice, but there are couple of things that I don't like.

1- My native resolution is not supported. That is 1360x768
Well, It's working at 1280x720 pretty nice but I would know if 1360x768 resolution will be supported.

2- The Steam-base incompatibility is a pain in the ass. Anyway, I understand the problem and I'm so happy with the buy and the linux port.

Good work, fellas!!!

sverro2

Postby sverro2 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:49 am

Uhm I just added three additional screenshots of the gliches that occur to me. Hopefully it's actually usefull for you :).
I "finished" Trine2 yesterday and it was, despite it having some glitches, a great experience and I really, really enjoyed playing it so far.

http://www.seventho.nl/Trine2glitches/ (for some additional screenshots)

- Kubuntu 11.10 64-bit
- NVIDIA GTS 450, driver: version current (280.13)
- Tested also on another computer with NVIDIA graphics (GT 440), same drivers

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:58 pm

texaco wrote:1- My native resolution is not supported. That is 1360x768
Well, It's working at 1280x720 pretty nice but I would know if 1360x768 resolution will be supported.

Though the launcher does not support that resolution, you should be able to set it manually, by editing the ~/.frozenbyte/Trine2/options.txt file.

In that file, you'll find something like:
setOption(renderingModule, "ScreenWidth", 1280)
setOption(renderingModule, "ScreenHeight", 720)

Modifying those lines appropriately, you should be able to set use any custom resolution... Though, I'm not sure if the Trine 2 Launcher might end up overwriting them with some other values - I dont it should, but if it does, then setting the options file as read only after making modifications to it should do the trick.

Notice, however, that I you want to play on that resolution on fullscreen, your X window system (and display drivers) must be able to support that resolution too. Basically, if you can set that as your desktop display resolution, it should work for the game as well - if you cannot set as the desktop resolution, the game won't be able to do so either.

It is usually possible to add those custom display resolutions to the X's config files even if they aren't originally there. One way is to use the display driver control panel to do it, should it support that. The other way is to manually editor the Xorg configuration files, but that tends to be a tedious job and it might get your entire graphical user interface totally screwed up, so that you'll have to use the plain text terminals to get it working again. (Usually it's best not to touch those conf files unless you really want to risk having to do a lot of tweaking to get the X working again, should something accidentally break.)

texaco

Postby texaco » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:26 pm

fb_jpk wrote:
texaco wrote:1- My native resolution is not supported. That is 1360x768

Though the launcher does not support that resolution, you should be able to set it manually, by editing the ~/.frozenbyte/Trine2/options.txt file.

In that file, you'll find something like:
setOption(renderingModule, "ScreenWidth", 1280)
setOption(renderingModule, "ScreenHeight", 720)

What can I say? It's working amazing!

Thank you so much!

FrozenBug

Postby FrozenBug » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:34 am

Thanks for the great port, I'm really enjoying it :-)
Works pretty well on debian squeeze with a current fglrx

Two things that could be improved (apart from stuff that was already mentioned like broken fullscreen and multiplayer with clients for other platforms):
* mouse grabbing support (ideally grab it if in game, ungrab if in menu). ctrl-g is a commonly used shortcut for that in linux-games (actually, I think trine1 supports that). I think that would be done with the SDL_SetWindowGrab() function.
(It is possible to build a custom libsdl 1.3 with this hardcoded, which makes it possible to enjoy the game in windowed mode, but is an ugly hack anyway)
* Screenshot support would be nice. In theory F4 should take screenshots I think, but that doesn't seem to work (or I can't find them, they're not in ~/.frozenbyte/Trine2/)

Nepenthes

Postby Nepenthes » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:32 am

Do you have any stats about Linux downloads ? (how are the Linux sales going ?)

tibi

Postby tibi » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:02 am

i bought the game in steam. do i understand that i have to install it separatly, without steam?

if so where can i download the linux version?

ps super you are creating a linux version!! :mrgreen:

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:00 pm

FrozenBug wrote: * mouse grabbing support (ideally grab it if in game, ungrab if in menu). ctrl-g is a commonly used shortcut for that in linux-games (actually, I think trine1 supports that). I think that would be done with the SDL_SetWindowGrab() function.
(It is possible to build a custom libsdl 1.3 with this hardcoded, which makes it possible to enjoy the game in windowed mode, but is an ugly hack anyway)

We'll have to look into that. A shortcut for the grabbing should be easy to add, if only the SDL supports it properly on linux.

I think, in general we may have to have a look into the SDL as well, as the fullscreen issues, etc. really are more on its turf. I guess I should double-check the parameters given to SDL on window creation, but they are supposed to be "correct", yet they are failing to provide fullscreen on specific desktops - and working nicely on others.

FrozenBug wrote: * Screenshot support would be nice. In theory F4 should take screenshots I think, but that doesn't seem to work (or I can't find them, they're not in ~/.frozenbyte/Trine2/)

Just checked this from the code and it seems that the in-game screenshot support (F4) has not currently been implemented for other platforms than Windows. Using other software to take screenshots (for example, gimp) should probably work though.

FrozenBug

Postby FrozenBug » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:38 pm

fb_jpk wrote:
FrozenBug wrote: * mouse grabbing support (ideally grab it if in game, ungrab if in menu). ctrl-g is a commonly used shortcut for that in linux-games (actually, I think trine1 supports that). I think that would be done with the SDL_SetWindowGrab() function.

We'll have to look into that. A shortcut for the grabbing should be easy to add, if only the SDL supports it properly on linux.
It does. As mentioned before, I use a hacked libSDL that does this, adding it to the game should be as easy.

FrozenBug wrote: * Screenshot support would be nice. In theory F4 should take screenshots I think, but that doesn't seem to work (or I can't find them, they're not in ~/.frozenbyte/Trine2/)

Just checked this from the code and it seems that the in-game screenshot support (F4) has not currently been implemented for other platforms than Windows. Using other software to take screenshots (for example, gimp) should probably work though.

screenshots with gimp work, but in-game screenshot support would be much nicer ;-)
http://forums.libsdl.org/viewtopic.php? ... 0efe20ae97 and http://lists.libsdl.org/pipermail/sdl-l ... 11387.html may be helpful - even though details may have changed a bit with SDL 1.3, I don't know.

Cheers

Xpander

Postby Xpander » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:14 am

Thank You For the Linux Client again!
its working amazingly good. no problems at all with max detail.
installer is maybe a bit geeky for some..but does the job well:)

specs:
Processor:AMD Phenom II X4 955 , ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8 GB DDR3 (1600Mhz)
Video Card:Asus Geforce 560 Ti 1GB (nvidia drivers 295.33)
Monitor: ViewSonic VA2431 24" + LG Flatron L1953S, 19"
Sound Card:Realtek ALC889
Operating System: Linux Mint 12 64bit, MATE desktop Environment
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
Linux Mint 13 alpha 64bit
* AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE (3,2 ghz)
* 8GB ddr3 1600mhz
* Asus GTX 560Ti DirectCU

punquifer

Postby punquifer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:12 pm

I have TRINE-2 downloaded from Humble Bundle, and it is working very well.

I do have one question - I purchased the "Collector's Edition", but as far as I can tell it only downloaded Trine2, not the original Trine, or the other content. Did I mess something in the download process?

Thanks.

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:15 pm

punquifer wrote:I have TRINE-2 downloaded from Humble Bundle, and it is working very well.

I do have one question - I purchased the "Collector's Edition", but as far as I can tell it only downloaded Trine2, not the original Trine, or the other content. Did I mess something in the download process?

Thanks.

I think this post may have the answer to that:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4226#p18720

Return to “Trine 2”