Can't map movement to buttons

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
BenJ

Can't map movement to buttons

Postby BenJ » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:10 am

My d-pad isn't a POV hat switch, each direction simply a button, so I need the ability to have buttons be used as directionals. However when I try to map Up (button 13) to Up in the controller configuration menu, it will say "Button 13" for a moment, but then it will revert to Axis 2. I can't get the bindings for directional to stick.

Is there anyway around this? What can I type in the config files to map directions to buttons?

I tried commands like this:

right = 1, Button, Undefined, 14

and they didn't work.

fb_jlarja

Re: Can't map movement to buttons

Postby fb_jlarja » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:58 am

BenJ wrote:My d-pad isn't a POV hat switch, each direction simply a button, so I need the ability to have buttons be used as directionals. However when I try to map Up (button 13) to Up in the controller configuration menu, it will say "Button 13" for a moment, but then it will revert to Axis 2. I can't get the bindings for directional to stick.

Is there anyway around this? What can I type in the config files to map directions to buttons?

I tried commands like this:

right = 1, Button, Undefined, 14

and they didn't work.

In config file:

Code: Select all

right = JoystickButton13

should work. That said, I don't really see a problem with your version either, except that 14 means Button 15 (it's just a more technical form used internally by the game, indexed from 0 instead of 1), so problem may be elsewhere. Also, to get everything working, you have to edit other bindings too (not just right, left, up and down): in GUI binds decrease, increase, move_left, move_right, arrow_left, arrow_right. In thief binds, ropeWindUp, ropeWindDown, ropeSwingLeft, ropeSwingRight. You may also need to remove references to axis 2 (or axis 1, in long form as in game written files).

Reason it is reverting to axis 2 is probably that your gamepad is constantly sending an axis signal (that is, the resting position of axis 2 is not at the zero (center) position, as the game assumes). That may cause some other problems, if that axis is used by the game somewhere else, but at least with the above instructions, you should get basic movement working.

-JLarja

BenJ

Re: Can't map movement to buttons

Postby BenJ » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:57 pm

That said, I don't really see a problem with your version either, except that 14 means Button 15 (it's just a more technical form used internally by the game, indexed from 0 instead of 1)

Yep, that was the issue, thanks.

Return to “Trine 2”