My Trine 2 Review

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
Cheeseness

My Trine 2 Review

Postby Cheeseness » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:53 am

I recently published a review of Trine 2 that looks at how the game has evolved and developed from Trine 1.

The whole review is over 2,000 words (and has screenshots, and they count for a thousand each, right?), but here's a tl;dr version for anybody who can't be bothered reading the whole thing:
If somebody told me six months ago that I'd ever play a game as beautiful as Trine, I would have scoffed, and yet here I am, playing its sequel - a game that takes its astoundingly high production values and raises the bar to unimaginable new heights.

All in all, Trine 2 is a fantastic game. It not only raises the bar well above Trine's originally high standard of presentation and charm, which alone is a massive feat, but also manages to do it for the duration of a much longer game. There are aspects of improved flow that seem to have lessened the impact and reward of individual puzzles, but the game as a whole is still fulfilling and ultimately, more seamless for it.

artox

Re: My Trine 2 Review

Postby artox » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:22 pm

Any review praising the game gets an A+ from me., I really like the cropping of the shots and positioning in your article, will do an in-depth read later :). Too bad you haven't experienced the game in stereoscopic 3d, it definitely brings a whole new meaning to the word replace. People should start saying comparing games in "Trine 2 stereoscopic replace".

Cheeseness

Postby Cheeseness » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:42 pm

artox wrote:I really like the cropping of the shots and positioning in your article

I like to spend a little time finding some nice screenshots for my reviews and articles. I'm mostly happy with what made it into the review, but I'm a little disappointed that I had trouble getting nice combat shots (it's kinda hard to take screenshots *whilst* fighting, and none of the ones I got were very readable - there's a lot going on, and at reduced size it's difficult to make out what's happening).

artox wrote:Too bad you haven't experienced the game in stereoscopic 3d

I haven't seen any stereoscopic games first hand, sadly. I'm not sure what support for it is like under Linux at the moment.

artox

Postby artox » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:09 pm

I can't help you with the Linux support, but you could see id iz3d supports linux, they have anaglyph support for free, so you don't need any hardware besides a pair of paper or plastic cyan-red glasses. You won't get the best experience, due to the lack of proper colors, but you'll see the game like you haven't before. I suppose that the guys at FrozenByte could at some point integrate anaglyph support, so that no additional driver is needed, but at this point s-3d hardware is not that expensive and anaglyph really destroys the color reproduction.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:02 am

Thank you for the reviews, both are great read :D

Cheeseness

Postby Cheeseness » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks for making a game that warranted them ;)

Return to “Trine 2”