HELP!: How to enable 3D Stereoscopic Display on Mac ?

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
radiance

HELP!: How to enable 3D Stereoscopic Display on Mac ?

Postby radiance » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:51 am

Hi all,

I have just bought a copy of Trine 2 via steam on Mac.
It runs beatifully, even with an Xbox 360 controller for windows on OSX Lion (you can download a driver for it, google for it).

My Specs:
Mac Mini 2011 (brand new): 2.5GHz dual core i5 CPU, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB
Display: 65" 3D LG LED TV.
The TV is connected to the mac mini via an HDMI cable, using the HDMI cable port on the back of the mac mini. (no converters or (mini-)displayport or such are used)

The game runs great at 1920x1080 with graphics detail on high.

However, I cannot get the 3D to work at all.
I can see the controlls in the visual settings (the 3 sliders for depth, convergence etc...)
I have googled for more than an hour and have not found any information.

My TV can handle most common 3D modes, such as SBS left/right or top/bottom.
I can play ripped 3D movies on it with SBS left/right in 1920x1080 (eg each picture is 960 pixels wide)

How do I enable 3D in Trine 2 on a mac ?
I cannot find and am not aware of any controls in Mac OS X 's configuration regarding 3D settings system wide.

Is there a config file for Trine 2 in can edit somewhere and change a parameter flag to force 3D with SBS left/right or something ?

Please help, I really would like to start playing the game an am waiting until i can get the 3D working to have the best experiene on my first playthrough...

Thanks very much for your help,
Terrence

radiance

Re: HELP!: How to enable 3D Stereoscopic Display on Mac ?

Postby radiance » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:25 am

Hi,

After more searching i found the options file and have been experimenting with these settings:

setOption(renderingModule, "ManualStereoEnabled", true)
setOption(renderingModule, "ManualStereoMode", 4)
setOption(renderingModule, "ManualStereoSwap", false)
setOption(renderingModule, "ManualStereoNoStretch", false)

This does not work, there is no difference at all than running standard 2D.
I have also tried various numbers for the ManualStereoMode, being 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7, all the same, no difference.

Anyone got any clue ?
Your help is much appreciated...

Thanks,
Terrence

artox

Postby artox » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:52 pm

And you don't have any settings available in the launcher?
Also I don't know if 3dvision or iz3d is available on Mac OS, but if they are they should be disabled before running any of the built-in modes.

fb_juha

Postby fb_juha » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:30 pm

Currently stereo outputs have only been implemented for D3D (Windows) rendering, and they do not work on other platforms. What is your use case, are you trying to use manual output modes (Side-by-Side etc) ?

radiance

Postby radiance » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:00 am

fb_juha wrote:Currently stereo outputs have only been implemented for D3D (Windows) rendering, and they do not work on other platforms. What is your use case, are you trying to use manual output modes (Side-by-Side etc) ?

Yeah, I was trying side by side (left / right with 50% width) or other SBS modes as my TV supports all of them without having ant support needed on the PC side.
Can't you just add an OpenGL 2nd viewport for the other half of the screen and use a different camera transform for it, with the eye distance between both camera transforms ?
Then, if you do the same vertically you probably will support 90% of people with 3D TV's and macs, and as many people use mac minis as HTPCs, they are often connected to 3D TVs, and the current models are definately capable of running Trine 2 very comfortably on high settings in 1080p...

Hoping for a mac patch with SBS soon ;)

Thanks,
Radiance

Return to “Trine 2”