Socket A single core support in Trine 2

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
atronach

Socket A single core support in Trine 2

Postby atronach » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:53 pm

Please, could you add support for single core porcessors Athlon xp 3 Ghz (Socket A non SSE2) in next patch.
Thanks

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Socket A single core support in Trine 2

Postby fb_joel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:38 pm

Not quite sure what you mean - does the game not run on your computer?

We will most likely not be making any further optimizations to the game on the tech level (unless we do something for the expansion, in which case we can of course update the main game too). Trine 2 shouldn't demand a whole lot from the CPU, it's just the basic game logic + PhysX, and after that it's mostly up to the graphics card.

As far as I know the game should run on any processor, probably including old stuff like Celerons and regular Athlons too, if the graphics card is sufficient. So let me know your full system specs and the problem along with any error messages if this is not the case. (I assume you either have the game or have tried the demo on Steam.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

atronach

Postby atronach » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:52 pm

fb_joel wrote:Not quite sure what you mean - does the game not run on your computer?
As far as I know the game should run on any processor, probably including old stuff like Celerons and regular Athlons too, if the graphics card is sufficient. So let me know your full system specs and the problem along with any error messages if this is not the case. (I assume you either have the game or have tried the demo on Steam.)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13451287/dxdiag.txt
Athlon xp 2800, HD 3650 512 Mb 1.5 gb ram

Does Physx files need SSE2 processors ? Because Athlon XP is non-SSE2.
Please, in expansion, update whole game and expansion with SSE processors support.
I don't know which Physx version is SSE compliant.
Thanks for support

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:28 pm

My apologies - the programmers explained this to me today and indeed Trine 2 as it is has been compiled with SSE2 instructions enabled. We'll experiment a bit if the game would work simply by not using SSE2, and I'll let you know... If it doesn't work (i.e. if it would need some PhysX or other libraries to be re-compiled too) then we probably aren't going to do that unfortunately, but we'll see how it goes.

(If you bought the game and it doesn't work then please get in touch with our support at http://www.frozenbyte.com/contact/ )
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

atronach

Postby atronach » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:11 pm

fb_joel wrote:My apologies - the programmers explained this to me today and indeed Trine 2 as it is has been compiled with SSE2 instructions enabled. We'll experiment a bit if the game would work simply by not using SSE2, and I'll let you know... If it doesn't work (i.e. if it would need some PhysX or other libraries to be re-compiled too) then we probably aren't going to do that unfortunately, but we'll see how it goes.

If is nvtt.dll (Nvidia texture file) used it Physxextensions.dll then please use nvtt.dll version 2.03 (SSE compatible).
This was solved in http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showt ... hp?t=85817.
But, please could you get a workaround in compiler, something like

Code: Select all

if (nonSSE2 == true) switch ( "old techniques")
otherwise switch (existing modern techniques)

so you wouldn't have to change much you already compiled.

You are actually first game developer who did talked about SSE2 problem.

Return to “Trine 2”