Random slowdown and fullscreen-problems on Ubuntu11.10 x64

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
Mrokii

Random slowdown and fullscreen-problems on Ubuntu11.10 x64

Postby Mrokii » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:10 am

Hello,

there are several bugs on Ubuntu 11.10:

1) top-menubar (panel) is always visible in fullscreen mode.
2) When starting in anything else but my native screen resolution the "fullscreen" window is not placed correctly (shifted slightly down and to the right, which means that above and left of it my regular desktop is visible. The window can be moved only because I have a shortcut that let's me move windows by hitting alt+left mousebutton. So not a *big* problem, but still.
4) After switching to fullscreen the game begins to load and then *always* switches back to my regular desktop, meaning I have to manually switch back to the game.
3) The game itself randomly slows down tremendously, so it becomes completely unplayable. This has happened everytime I started the game. Strange thing is: It doesn't always slow down right from the start (I can play for maybe 1 to 3 minutes in this case) after which the slowdown kicks in. After that the game becomes rather unplayable. Slow cursor moving, sound-lag/hickups, graphics-lag, heavily). I have an nVidia GeForce 9500 GT, not sure if that is the issue as I have no clue how nVidia sorts their cards).

fb_jpk

Re: Random slowdown and fullscreen-problems on Ubuntu11.10 x

Postby fb_jpk » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Mrokii wrote:Hello,

there are several bugs on Ubuntu 11.10:

1) top-menubar (panel) is always visible in fullscreen mode.

I'm starting to look into those fullscreen issues today. (But I probably won't have any solutions until next week at earliest)
There are already some workarounds to this by disabling desktop effects, etc. They may or may not help depending on the case.
This forum thread has some discussion about it: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4229

Mrokii wrote:2) When starting in anything else but my native screen resolution the "fullscreen" window is not placed correctly (shifted slightly down and to the right, which means that above and left of it my regular desktop is visible. The window can be moved only because I have a shortcut that let's me move windows by hitting alt+left mousebutton. So not a *big* problem, but still.

This issue is probably somewhat related to the fullscreen issue. I think the slight shiting comes from the window manager moving the window below the top panel / or considering the assumed window titlebar/border size or such. But then, once the fullscreen or borderless mode kicks in, the window contents will stay at the position where it would have been with the top bar or window titlebar/borders. (But so far, I'm just guessing here, I'll try to get this replace myself so I can really figure out what's going on and how to fix it.)

Mrokii wrote:4) After switching to fullscreen the game begins to load and then *always* switches back to my regular desktop, meaning I have to manually switch back to the game.

No idea as to why this would happen. Assuming there isn't any system popup or such causing the switch.
Does the switch happen when at some specific time? Like when you press the mouse button for the first time? Or something similar?

Mrokii wrote:3) The game itself randomly slows down tremendously, so it becomes completely unplayable. This has happened everytime I started the game. Strange thing is: It doesn't always slow down right from the start (I can play for maybe 1 to 3 minutes in this case) after which the slowdown kicks in. After that the game becomes rather unplayable. Slow cursor moving, sound-lag/hickups, graphics-lag, heavily). I have an nVidia GeForce 9500 GT, not sure if that is the issue as I have no clue how nVidia sorts their cards).

No idea as to why this would happen, but sounds like something is going wrong there... If you are playing in the fullscreen mode, have you tried windowed mode instead, just to see if it has the same issue?

Also, it might help us pinpoint the issue if you could test disabling the game audio as instructed in this other post (to rule out it isn't the audio that's causing the slowdown):
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4239#p18780

We'll of course try to fix those issues, but how long it takes for us to figure them out, depends on how easily we can duplicate them ourselves. So any additional info you could provide (like does the audio disable have any effect) might help.

Mrokii

Postby Mrokii » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:57 pm

Hello, and thanks for the reply. Here are my observations:

About the first problem (menu bar always visible). None of these did help:
- changing "MaximizeWindow" in options.txt
- stopping compiz (which made the game just close after the screen where one choses settings)
- Disabling all compiz-plugins I could

Second problem (wrong positioning in fullscreen):
Here are three screenshots that show the corner of the game window in relation to the upper left corner of my desktop.

800x600: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/83 ... 0x600.png/
1280x960: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59 ... 0x960.png/
1680x1050: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/99 ... x1050.png/

It seems that the lower the resolution, the bigger the gap is between the game-window and the left upper desptop-corner.

Third problem: Tremendous lagging either at start or after some time:

Neither Sound enabling or disabled nor Windowed or Fullscreen mode made much difference. However, there was a difference: The time after which the lagg started (as shown below). The minutes-amount is the time, after which lagging began. With one exception it seems as if the lag is resolution dependent.

• Fullscreen; sound enabled; low graphics mode
    • 800x600
      • ~ 2.46 Minutes
      • b. Lag right from the start
      • c. ~ 2.46 minutes
      • d. ~ 2.04 Minutes (not sure about that result)
    • 1280x960
      • ~ 2.10 Minutes
      • ~ 2.17 Minutes
    • 1680x1050
      • ~ 1.10 Minutes
      • ~ 1.10 Minutes
  • Window mode; sound enabled
    • 1680x1050
      • ~ 1.30 Minutes
  • Window mode; sound disabled
    • 1680x1050
      • ~ 2.00 Minutes

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:37 am

That lagging issue occurring sounds quite puzzling..

The only thing that I can quickly think of, is that it could even be GPU heat-buildup related... Specifically as your statistics suggest that it occurs sooner on higher resolutions. Trine 2 can be really heavy on the GPU, and specifically, with higher resolutions, it can make the GPU run at near maximum utilization. (Which means it will heat up significantly).

It might be a matter of some driver clock slowdown kicking in or such? (or just things starting to go buggy after heat up).

This guess is just based on the effect of the higher resolution causing the bug to manifest itself faster. Because basically there should be no other explaining difference between a lower resolution and a higher resolution - than the higher GPU utilization.

Then again, the Linux version framerate should be limited to 30 by default, so one would expect it to make it run a bit cooler (compared to, for example, the Windows version, where that limit is not enabled by default).

Have you run any other 3D intensive games on the machine (or do you happen to have a dual boot machine with Windows on it, and if so, does Trine 2 work ok on Windows without any problems?)

And if you are "do-it-yourself" type of guy, have you tried running the game with the computer case open or such? (Disclaimer: I guess I should not be making such suggestions, since obviously there are the safety concerns with electrical devices and all of that stuff to consider, so unless doing that kind of stuff is familiar to you and you think you can safely try it out, you should rather not try it... But I'm just going with the guess that a lot of Linux users might be familiar tinkering with the PCs) ;)

But all in all, this is curious to say the least. Its difficult to say anything for sure unless we manage to duplicate a similar situation.

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:05 pm

This could also be an issue with GPU memory consumption or fragmentation. Unfortunately this is pretty hard to check on Linux. You would need to use some of the vendor-specific GL extensions to monitor memory usage.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:33 pm

alt_turo wrote:This could also be an issue with GPU memory consumption or fragmentation. Unfortunately this is pretty hard to check on Linux. You would need to use some of the vendor-specific GL extensions to monitor memory usage.

Yeah, memory fragmentation might be an issue too, but in that case, it would most likely indicate some buggy graphics driver version. (As so far, we've had no other reports of this nor have we seen this same issue on any of our machines.) And there should be very little dynamic graphics memory allocations occurring during the gameplay, so fragmentation should not generally occur during normal gameplay (if this slowdown would always happen during level changes, it would make more sense).

Also, running out of graphics memory might only seem as a relevant concern if you have something like 256Mb memory on your graphics card. (If you have 512Mb or more, this seems unlikely). So you may want to check how much graphics memory your card has.

The easiest way to test if it could be the lack of graphics memory, is to try the game on the lower resolution (800x600, without anti-aliasing, and with low or very low detail settins). If this completely removes the random slowdown issue, it could be that you're running out of graphics memory. If it still keeps occurring after a while, it is very unlikely that it would be the graphics memory.

Also, if you have very little main memory on your computer, of course it might run out of that, and start swapping to hard drive, this naturally would kill the performance (There is little that can be done about this game-settings-wise). This, however, seems unlikely, as you probably would have to have 512 Mb or less of main memory to even consider this a likely issue.

And as a one more possibility:
Since the Xorg window system will be running as a separate process, if you have some other program that suddenly starts in the background after a few minutes of gameplay, and if it requires a lot of processing power, you may encounter a significant visual framerate drop. You may want to run for example "top" in a separate terminal window to see which processes are using the CPU during the time of the slowdown. (And that the trine2_linux_32bit process has some CPU slack available to it - in the best case scenario, it should not be trying to using 100% of the CPU, as that could lead into some resource hogging problems with the Xorg process). Some CPU idle time is preferred to ensure things keep running smoothly. (even though for most users, the game will run smoothly even in case of 100% CPU utilization).

Andre-K

Postby Andre-K » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:59 pm

for what it's worth, I am running on Nvidia and 11.10 32bit, did not see any lag, stumbled on this thread when searching for fullscreen problem across 2 monitors.

Mrokii

Postby Mrokii » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:48 pm

fb_jpk wrote:That lagging issue occurring sounds quite puzzling..
Have you run any other 3D intensive games on the machine (or do you happen to have a dual boot machine with Windows on it, and if so, does Trine 2 work ok on Windows without any problems?)

Nope, sorry, no 3D intensive games lately and I don't have a dual boot machine either.

fb_jpk wrote:have you tried running the game with the computer case open or such? [...] But I'm just going with the guess that a lot of Linux users might be familiar tinkering with the PCs) ;)

You guessed right :) (kind of). My tower is opened at all times (on side of it), not necessarily because of heat issues but to make it easier to get to the parts inside. Anyhow, there should be not heat being built up in the case.fb_jpk

Mrokii

Postby Mrokii » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:51 pm

alt_turo wrote:This could also be an issue with GPU memory consumption or fragmentation. Unfortunately this is pretty hard to check on Linux. You would need to use some of the vendor-specific GL extensions to monitor memory usage.

I don't know at all how to do that, sorry. I have an nVidia-card, am using their own closed source driver and the nVidia-settings-app, but that's about it. I didn't tinker with the standard seetings in there much.

Mrokii

Postby Mrokii » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:37 pm

fb_jpk wrote:Yeah, memory fragmentation might be an issue too, but in that case, it would most likely indicate some buggy graphics driver version.

My Graphics driver version is 295.40 (nVidia). Theoretically there may be a bug in that, as it is fairly new. I'd need to find some other demanding game to see if the same effect happens. But as I said, I don't think I've had a similar experience with such a sudden slowdown with other games.

My Graphics card has 512 Mb RAM. My computers' memory is 4 GB

I haven't tried out "Very Low" yet, but at least with 800x600, no anti-aliasing, and Low graphics mode, it happened again. I didn't check the time, but I got a bit further into the game than before. This happened with and without enabled sound. So, this result fits in with the earlier ones. It seems, the lower I set the options, the later in game the effect happens. *Though*, sometimes, randomly, the slowdown is there right with the start of the game (seldom, but it also happened when I ran the game several times today, to try out different settings).

fb_jpk wrote:Since the Xorg window system will be running as a separate process, if you have some other program that suddenly starts in the background after a few minutes of gameplay, and if it requires a lot of processing power, you may encounter a significant visual framerate drop.

I tried "top" in another terminal window, but there was no other app eating up CPU when the slowdown began, as far as I can tell. Trine 2 was always on the top and nothing even close to its percentage of CPU-consumption.

However I noticed something that may be important: Usually, the game takes about 80 to 90% CPU, but as soon as the slowdown happens, the percentage goes above 100%, it's anywhere between 105 and 120%. I have a double core CPU, if that matters. Additionally, during the slow downs pulseAudio jumped up occasionally (taking about betweeb 20 to 30% CPU for a second, then falling back to the "usual" 2%).

marcimat

Postby marcimat » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Hi,

(My english is very bad, sorry !)

I have the same slowdown problems in Ubuntu 12.04 64bits (computer Macbook Pro Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P7550 @ 2.26GHz × 2 with 8Go Ram and graphics card NVidia 9400M).

The game start correctly (resolution 800*600 - medium details) and few minutes or seconds after, it becomes terribly slow and I need to close it. The «top» command writes that Trine2 is nearly 102% and pulseAudio near 30%. When or little after the slow starts, pulseAudio give near 50/60% of processor.

It's pity, the game Trine 2 is really beautiful as Trine 1 was.

Many thanks anyway for making such good game and to share it on linux platforms.

MM.

Xpander

Postby Xpander » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:33 pm

pulseaudio taking up so much?
must be something wrong in there
my pulseaudio taking 2-4% of cpu while playing trine 2
Linux Mint 13 alpha 64bit
* AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE (3,2 ghz)
* 8GB ddr3 1600mhz
* Asus GTX 560Ti DirectCU

marcimat

Postby marcimat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:51 am

Yes it does. I've restart with 800*600 and Very Low details. Exactly same problem. PulseAudio is between 20 to 32% in use, and goes, when slows start, over 60% very little time, then 50% and stays there.

I've start the game on the same computer on MacOS Snow Leopard and 1024*800 (I think) with very full details (config that was in the start menu by default) and the game runs without problem.

So, maybe it's a sound problem on our linux.

Xpander

Postby Xpander » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:35 pm

i was checking again...seems trine2 in my system doesnt even use pulseaudio or maybe it does...
if i run audacious it takes 2% but with trine it seems to be at 0%
and sound plays perfectly.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28788188/Screenshot-378.png

try killall pulseaudio before u start up the game or something..
maybe it will pick alsa then
Linux Mint 13 alpha 64bit
* AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE (3,2 ghz)
* 8GB ddr3 1600mhz
* Asus GTX 560Ti DirectCU

Return to “Trine 2”