Notes on getting Trine 2 running on Fedora 16 (Linux)

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
fb_jpk

Notes on getting Trine 2 running on Fedora 16 (Linux)

Postby fb_jpk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:01 pm

Ok, I just made a fresh install of the Fedora 16 a few days ago to test out some of the reported crash issues and such.
And while doing so, I wrote down some notes of the steps I did after the Fedora installation to get it running Trine 2.

I thought it might be useful to post those notes here, in case someone is having problems running Trine 2 on Fedora 16 (or some other recent Fedora release). In that case, you may want to see the steps listed here, just in case some of the steps might help locate a missing library that could be causing the problems.

This is specifically for users with nvidia graphics cards (but all of the steps, apart from than the graphics driver installation should apply to fedora users with amd graphics cards as well).

Some of the steps below might be listed in slightly different order that what I did them in, but I'm assuming there are no relevant changes. Also notice, some of the exact steps / kernel versions / library versions are probably going to change in time, so these should only be considered as "somewhat advisory" steps, not necessarily the exactly valid ones.

1. Installed Fedora 16 from the 64 bit live desktop CD

2. Updated to the latest kernel and programs using the update manager

3. Reboot

- Note, the kernel in use for me at this point was: vmlinuz-3.3.1-3.fc16.x86_64
- Note, assuming user account sudo with privileges.

4. Run the Trine2 installer:

Code: Select all

sudo ./trine2_linux_installer.run

- Answer y to automatic library installation
- Note, installing gtk failed for me at this point.

5. Install plenty of libraries since they seemed to be missing or failed in the automatic installation

sudo yum install gtk2.i686
sudo yum install libXxf86vm.i686
sudo yum install libogg.i686
sudo yum install libvorbis.i686
sudo yum install pulseaudio-libs.i686

- At this point, it should be possible to run the trine 2 launcher, all of its libraries should be found, but the Trine 2 will not still start.

6. Install some stuff needed by the nvidia driver installer

sudo yum install binutils-2.21.53.0.1-6.fc16
sudo yum install gcc
sudo yum install kernel-devel

7. Install the latest nvidia drivers downloaded from nvidia pages

- Note, the one I got at the time of doing this: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.33.run

- NOTICE: Make sure to select the 32 bit OpenGL compatibility libraries when this is asked by the installer!!!
- If you don't install the 32 bit compatibility, you'll apparently end up with mysterious crashes during the Trine 2 start up.

The nvidia driver installation can be a bit tricky, some instructions to installing the drivers on Fedora 16 can be found here:
http://geek.co.il/wp/2011/11/15/installing-nvidia-drivers-on-fedora-16-the-wrong-way
(I didn't quite 100% follow these instructions myself, but the instructions explain the basic procedure that you'll have to do.)

- Once done, reboot to the usual X desktop and the desktop should now be running with the nvidia proprietary drivers.

8. The GLU library is missing and needs to be got from somewhere:

sudo yum install mesa-libGLU.i686

9. Start Trine 2. It should work now. (Fullscreen mode should work, audio should work, etc.)

If trine 2 does not start, even though you have all of the above installed, try running it with:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib/lib32
./bin/trine2_linux_32bit

And see what the output tells you... maybe I forgot to write down some step that I did. :(

Hopefully, however, Trine 2 should be working just fine if all of the above stuff is properly installed.
(We'll try to get more of this required library dependency stuff automated and checked by future Trine 2 installers/patches, so that minimal manual library installation should be necessary.)

Some related info can be found at least in the following forum thread
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4237

Return to “Trine 2”