I can't set my monitor's resolution (64bit linux) (solved)

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
Persi

I can't set my monitor's resolution (64bit linux) (solved)

Postby Persi » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:58 am

My monitor's native resolution is 1366x768, the closest one I see on the dropdown menu is 1280x720, it works but it does make the output somewhat blurry. I have tried editing the configuration file but it looks like the launcher overwrites it every time I run it.

I'll also take this chance to congratulate you on the game, aside from this little problem it works great, the scenery is nothing short of breathtakingly beautiful and the puzzles make you feel smart (big plus nowadays) when you solve them.

I liked the installer too, although I can understand how some people could be take back by a text only installer. Providing different packages for different distributions can be quite a chore, so I understand why you'd want to refrain from it. Have you thought about using something like http://nixstaller.sourceforge.net/? It is reasonably easy to set up and it works with a variety of configurations and package managers while at the same time handling dependencies and providing a graphical interface, maybe for your next game ;).

FB_JussiE

Re: I can't set my monitor's resolution (64bit linux)

Postby FB_JussiE » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:48 am

Hello Persi!

You can actually change the resolution to custom one from ~/.frozenbyte/Trine2/options.txt from there change the lines
setOption(renderingModule, "ScreenWidth", 1280)
setOption(renderingModule, "ScreenHeight", 720)

setOption(renderingModule, "ScreenWidth", 1366)
setOption(renderingModule, "ScreenHeight", 768)

Thank you for the nice comments and hopefully this'll help :)

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:26 pm

Like Jussi already mentioned, the resolution can be changed by manually modifying the ~/.frozenbyte/Trine2/options.txt file.

The only requirements for any custom resolutions are that it should be at least 512 in width and height (the currently released Trine 2 linux version has issues on some graphics cards when using lower resolutions, such as 640x480). Also, the resolution must be supported by your X server configuration to get the game properly in fullscreen (otherwise it will most likely just stay letterboxed on some bigger resolution).

The launcher should not overwrite the selected resolution if you've changed it to the options.txt file manually. (As long as the launcher or game are not running while you modify the file).

The launcher should be able to read in the customized resolution from the configuration file and use that, but I guess there might be some issues with that, if it is not working as intended (I'll have to take a look at that). In such a case, to prevent the launcher from modifying the options file, you could just remove the write access from the ~/.frozenbyte/Trine2/options.txt file once you've configured it properly - so the launcher cannot overwrite it. (You should keep in mind though, that the file will have write protection in this case, and even any changes made in the game settings won't get saved.).

Alternatively, you could just modify the Trine 2 desktop or menu shortcut to start the "bin/trine2_bin_started.sh" script instead of the "trine2.sh" it usually starts. That way it will just start Trine 2 automatically, rather than starting the launcher.

And as far as the installer goes, we've already made some small tweaks to it for the next patch, but yeah - it probably might be a good idea to look for some proper dedicated linux installer software for our next game, such as the one you mentioned, for a more streamlined and nicer looking process. :)

Persi

Postby Persi » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:46 pm

The launcher should not overwrite the selected resolution if you've changed it to the options.txt file manually. (As long as the launcher or game are not running while you modify the file).
This must have been it, I had this problem the first times I tried but it hasn't happened again and I have been unable to reproduce the problem so far (not that I have actively tried, playing the game makes me happier than trying to get a launcher to fail in a certain way).

As for this next version you talk about, do you announce your new releases somewhere or should I keep checking the humble link? And also, are incremental patches available somewhere? downloading the entire installer was somewhat painful the first time : )

Installers, there are lots of them, and no matter which one you choose, in the end everyone bitches about how they'd have preferred a deb/rpm package ; )

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Persi wrote:As for this next version you talk about, do you announce your new releases somewhere or should I keep checking the humble link? And also, are incremental patches available somewhere? downloading the entire installer was somewhat painful the first time : )

I'm sure the next patch release will be announced somewhere. The problem is, I don't yet quite know where that is going to be. I guess at least these forums might be a sensible location. Hopefully someone here remembers to make the post once the patch is out. :)

And as far at the next release for the Linux goes... Although we do have support for providing small partial patches, it is quite likely that we want to make the next linux patch to be a full patch - Given that this initial release and the next one will have quite a lot of changes here and there in the data. And for any possible future patches, its makes things much easier to have a proper clean base for it. After that, I'd expect any future patches to be just some smaller patches and never/very rarely requiring the full installer package.

Return to “Trine 2”