Director's Cut only on Wii U?

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
walzuu

Director's Cut only on Wii U?

Postby walzuu » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:48 am

I just read that Wii U is getting a Director's Cut of Trine 2. Is there gonne a be one for other platforms as well? Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU4iahUtTgs

walzuu

Re: Director's Cut only on Wii U?

Postby walzuu » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:50 am

Well I just watched the DLC-videos and it seems that the stuff Wii U is having in the Director's Cut is what other platforms get in the expansion/dlc. No worries then! :)

drake008

Postby drake008 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:03 am

The only thing I could say is that it is a shame to see that early adopters get a not completed game and have to buy DLCs and Addons to get this complete game these days. Never thought that even Frozenbyte jumps on this scamtrain.

For me I would demand a refund now but that is not possible due to the terms of Valve/Steam. Again 20 Euro for the crapper!

Thank you very much!

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:00 am

drake008 wrote:The only thing I could say is that it is a shame to see that early adopters get a not completed game and have to buy DLCs and Addons to get this complete game these days. Never thought that even Frozenbyte jumps on this scamtrain.

The bug fixes and that sort of stuff will be coming as a patch for normal version too.

drake008 wrote:For me I would demand a refund now but that is not possible due to the terms of Valve/Steam. Again 20 Euro for the crapper!

Well, if you don't like Trine 2 as it is now, small change you would like it much better with expansion. It will be tweaked, improved and extended. It will have new levels. It won't be totally different game (like Trine 2 wasn't totally different from original Trine).

As for WiiU version, having the touchscreen controller is certainly going to set it apart from other versions. That's something we can't do for PC version.

-JLarja

FB_Esa

Postby FB_Esa » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:03 am

drake008 wrote:The only thing I could say is that it is a shame to see that early adopters get a not completed game and have to buy DLCs and Addons to get this complete game these days. Never thought that even Frozenbyte jumps on this scamtrain.

For me I would demand a refund now but that is not possible due to the terms of Valve/Steam. Again 20 Euro for the crapper!

Thank you very much!

Also i would like to add that its actually more of a expansion pack. The story takes place after Trine 2 so its a completely new experience and not something we took out from the main game.

Gzegzolka

Postby Gzegzolka » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:24 pm

I wish I have WiiU now :) , even if I never was big fan of Nintendo's Wii. I'm curious how gameplay will look with they new pad. It must be something very interesting :)

giancarmen

Postby giancarmen » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:23 am

Heard of Trine before, but never played the games. Thanks for putting effort on the Wii U version unlike some other developers. Are you happy on the power of the Wii U and our you able to get the game to run in 1080p on the Wii U.

page305

Postby page305 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:39 am

Is this true that the Wii version will be getting an exclusive level?

Have you ALREADY forgotten where you've come from? Before all this success, did Nintendo care you existed at all? Now all of a sudden they have the exclusive level that no-one else can play? They give you no interest and force you to become successful with no help from them, then all of a sudden they want an exclusive?!

It's a shame to see someone (a group of someone's) with so much promise and talent to sell out so early in their gaming careers and fragment the gaming community.

Quoted as, "new collectible shards that unlock a special Wii U-exclusive level"... from http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/06/0 ... e-amazing/.

Please say it isn't so... if it is; keep your DLC and your future games.

To give credit where it is due; Trine and Trine 2 were amazing games. The 3D was an experience I will miss in the future.

Gzegzolka

Postby Gzegzolka » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:48 pm

If there is bonus level for Nintendo that will make use of new controller I do not mind. Calm down. It's just a game.
Still I hope to see soon that expansion pack with new levels for pc and other consoles :)

page305

Postby page305 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:40 pm

Gzegzolka wrote:If there is bonus level for Nintendo that will make use of new controller I do not mind. Calm down. It's just a game.
Still I hope to see soon that expansion pack with new levels for pc and other consoles :)

It's not about being "just a game". I understand this is only a hobby for people; it's about recognizing an ever growing trend in the industry and it's a shame to see this developer following that trend.

The same things have happened (and will continue to happen) with other aspects as well. Namely... day 1 DLC's, "VIP" Codes to prevent resale on secondary market, always online DRM, retailer specific content, general product keys (could you imagine if this happened to music CD's and movie DVD's?! That movie can only be viewed on one DVD player and never passed along!!!), and now we have console specific content from a former PC developer... your reply is the reason PC gaming is on a losing front.

I'm not trying to rant, but it's our job to give both praise and disapproval to let the developer know what the community... I mean, financial commodity, wants and is willing to tolerate. It boils down to this; the developer wants us to buy the games... we want to buy the games. Lets cut the BS and make it easy for all...

/rant.

Gzegzolka

Postby Gzegzolka » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:24 pm

If You do not like this situation I suggest You voting with Your wallet. It's simple solution, buy original games You like and if there is game You do not like do not buy it (You can always wait for Game Of The Year edition and buy it with all dlc on cheap price).
DLC is just a method of distribution here, I do not like when there is day-one dlc, content locked on disk (crapcom) or when You can see clear that DLC is part of game and was ripped from it. I do not like paying for small stuff that should be in game like armor for pet or important for game plot mission.
If Frozenbyte say they working on mission pack I believe them. If those are levels that are not connected for original game story, take place after original events it means that Trine2 is complete product and this is something extra not ripped stuff.
Trine 1 got one free level as DLC/patch.

Fact that nintendo console is going to get some bonus level is totally normal for me, I do not care. I remember that first generation of consoles/pc got similar issue like first Wolfenstein 3d for Mac got flamethrower, Duke Nukem 3d got on Sega Saturn one bonus level, Earthworm Jim on windows pc also got one more level than SNES. Alien Breed Tower Assault on Amiga got many non-linear levels while pc port got 1/4 of original content. Doom3 on Xbox got two player coop mode while pc version got higher res textures and mod support.
Frozenbyte try to conquer new part of console market related to nintendo and They just need to give somethnig extra to prove them self there. I do not think it's bad.

page305

Postby page305 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:01 pm

I'm not complaining about DLC at all... not sure what the first part of your reply was about. I never claimed Frozenbyte held the content from the base game. As far as Frozenbyte needing to do something extra, that is just not accurate. Nintendo sees the success Trine has brought and now they want to use Frozenbyte as leverage to sell their console. As in "make the consumer buy our device to get this content"... it's a ploy on Nintendo's behalf and something Frozenbyte agreed to. I'm sure Nintendo wanted nothing to do with Frozenbyte before they had their big success, now they want to utilize it. Nintendo is using FB as a pawn. They'll throw them out if their games don't do well, then FB would have to start over developing for PC only as before.

It's all financial play to "get the consumer by the balls"... It's a common tactic now-a-days to force someone to buy from them instead of making a superior product. EA did so with Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3. Origin is required now... this is to combat Steam. It didn't go well for EA and it won't go well for the community after EA inevitably drop support for Origin as they have done with every EA service known...

My gripe is that the industry is taking a very crooked turn into grey areas and it seems they are fragmenting gaming as a whole. It's not good for the future. As far as "voting with my wallet", I've done just that... hence my 1st post about "keep your DLC and future games". I only hope others do also to put a stop to this corporate strong-arm BS.

My comment had nothing to do with the game... Trine 2 was amazing. My comment was to bring attention to this snowball of piss-on-PC console exclusive path that FB is starting to take as many have before. If the deal is sweet enough from Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo, Trine 3 may not even come to PC... then what?

Gzegzolka

Postby Gzegzolka » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:40 am

Yes, FB must prove to Nintendo they can be useful "pawn" as You name it. Nintendo never was friendly company to other game companies (it start with Nintendo64), so FB must give something extra like that bonus level.

That tactic is not only now-a-days, it was used since I remember - since time of commodore computer "business is a war", there was no internet, but rules were same. It's sad how people who build EA and made many great games, fall into do stuff that only give profit without thinking much of community, each year there is new need for speed or fifa game, each year some game lost support and servers to online play.

I think in my humble opinion that creating game took much more money nowadays than it do few years ago, that's why developers try to reach as much consumers as it is possible and console community here is great target while on pc You have a lot of different hardware problems. It is simple calculation to create "better" game in similar amount of time with more money and try to earn as much as possible to cover financial loss. Of course it is very easy to screw-up game IP and lose main part of community like EA do with Dead Space 3, WB with FEAR3 or CrapCom with RE5 (no longer horror games). I do not like when games are developed only as some kind of product that have to generate company income, it is different from creating game You want to create for Your community.

It's hard to say for me if Trine 3 will be only console game, I prey FB do not forget about pc gamers.

FB_JussiE

Postby FB_JussiE » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:16 pm

Hello

I won't be diving much in to this topic, but I have to straighten out a few things:

We're not dropping PC support for our current or foreseeable future projects. We love PC-gaming and will keep supporting it fully in the future. This is easily demonstrated by all the patches & fixes we keep on doing for the PC version (including hard-core mode and the up coming major network play patch) making it the most "up-to-date" version.

Also I want to remind you that the expansion is currently in the works and will be released for the PC this summer while Wii U version is looking at holiday season launch. That leaves us time to work on the Wii U version after we've launched the expansion, in its complete form.

So in short we're not ripping anything out from the expansion pack and putting it in the Wii U version as exclusive, but we will have more time to make the Wii U version, thus enabling us try out something new with it.

Hopefully this'll clear things out atleast a bit, its nice to see we have such passionate fan-base :)

Return to “Trine 2”