FXAA in Trine 2

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
Borc
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:28 pm

FXAA in Trine 2

Postby Borc » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:04 pm

I usually play Trine 2 with 4xSSAA and prefer to have FXAA disabled which I have to do in the options.txt. Whenever I change the AA settings to something different and later again to SSAA I have to disable the FXAA in the options.txt again which can be annoying from time to time. Is it possible to include the FXAA button into the launcher?

And the reason why I prefer SSAA without the ingame FXAA is simple, I dislike a decrease of texture sharpness when it is too strong. Some games supports a FXAA low and high or soft and sharp FXAA setting, isn't it possible for Trine 2?

Just one example

AA Off= http://s1.directupload.net/images/120719/wavbsoai.png
Ingame FXAA= http://s1.directupload.net/images/120719/4j5mnhln.png
Inject FXAA subpix 0.00= http://s7.directupload.net/images/120719/zzwtgbvr.png
Inject FXAA subpic 0.25= http://s14.directupload.net/images/120719/okhrkny4.png

User avatar
fb_juha
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:18 pm

Re: FXAA in Trine 2

Postby fb_juha » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:36 pm

I agree that the way FXAA option works is not ideal. It was added as main anti aliasing solution as for many of our users SSAA is too demanding. That said, I can't promise more FXAA options to our launcher. However, I can add some FXAA parameters to options.txt. This is not ideal, but it would allow tweaking for those who would like to.

One thing to note is that FXAA in Trine is run differently compared to injectors. We run FXAA for super sampled frame before down sampling. In our case higher SSAA modes reduce the blurring effect. Injectors run FXAA after down sampling for the final frame.

Also, for DLC we are going to add option for bi-cubic down sampling of SSAA. It's slightly higher quality wise, and it can optionally be used for extra sharpness boosting after FXAA pass by tweaking a parameter in options.txt.

Borc
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: FXAA in Trine 2

Postby Borc » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:08 pm

fb_juha wrote:I agree that the way FXAA option works is not ideal. It was added as main anti aliasing solution as for many of our users SSAA is too demanding. That said, I can't promise more FXAA options to our launcher. However, I can add some FXAA parameters to options.txt. This is not ideal, but it would allow tweaking for those who would like to.


Not ideal but better than nothing, yes. At least I wouldn't need Inject FXAA.

fb_juha wrote:One thing to note is that FXAA in Trine is run differently compared to injectors. We run FXAA for super sampled frame before down sampling. In our case higher SSAA modes reduce the blurring effect. Injectors run FXAA after down sampling for the final frame.


My picture samples were without SSAA, so that was not the case. Even with subpix 0.00 the big leaves are smoothed out compared to AA Off and sharpness is better than the ingame FXAA. Inject FXAA is not ideal also because it blurs the HUD and text in the game and I had 1 fps less in my test as you can see. That's why I would prefer such a thing for the ingame FXAA.
fb_juha wrote:Also, for DLC we are going to add option for bi-cubic down sampling of SSAA. It's slightly higher quality wise, and it can optionally be used for extra sharpness boosting after FXAA pass by tweaking a parameter in options.txt.


How is the performance compared to default downsampling? Can it be added into the main game in a patch later? Would be a very nice addition. :D


Return to “Trine 2”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests