Can't jump while using the rope

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
zephyramis

Can't jump while using the rope

Postby zephyramis » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:17 am

Hi,
I'm having some problems with the controls after the latest update of Trine 2.
When I'm playing with the thief and swing with the rope I can't use the jump button to let go of the rope.
Instead I have to push up on the second joystick to jump off, and that isn't very practical since the thief then starts charging the bow. I don't think I will be able to play it like this so I'm thankful for any help!
I'm using a Logitech RumblePad 2 by the way.

fb_jlarja

Re: Can't jump while using the rope

Postby fb_jlarja » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:56 am

zephyramis wrote:Hi,
I'm having some problems with the controls after the latest update of Trine 2.
When I'm playing with the thief and swing with the rope I can't use the jump button to let go of the rope.
Instead I have to push up on the second joystick to jump off, and that isn't very practical since the thief then starts charging the bow. I don't think I will be able to play it like this so I'm thankful for any help!
I'm using a Logitech RumblePad 2 by the way.

Ah, there's a recent RumblePad 2 update missing from 1.17. Go to Settings => Configure controls menu. Depending on whether you have the CE version of the game or not, either reconfigure Jump or reconfigure Rope jump from Thief tab.

-JLarja

STP71

Postby STP71 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm having exactly the same problem with exactly the same controller - and it pretty much makes the game unplayable (at least the way I play it)!

Can't seem to follow your workaround, either - I don't have a "Thief" tab in the Configure Control menu - just "Basic" and "Advanced." Have tried remapping the jump function to no avail...

Any further suggestions..?

(Not sure which version I have - other than v1.17 purchased through Steam on a 64bit Windows 7 machine)

zephyramis

Postby zephyramis » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:27 pm

fb_jlarja wrote:Ah, there's a recent RumblePad 2 update missing from 1.17. Go to Settings => Configure controls menu. Depending on whether you have the CE version of the game or not, either reconfigure Jump or reconfigure Rope jump from Thief tab.
-JLarja

I have tried to reconfigure the buttons several times but I've still got the same problem.
In the configure controls menu there are no tabs for the different characters when configuring the gamepad. The buttons are the same for them all, and there is no such thing as a Rope jump button, only a Jump button.
I don't understand why the Jump button works perfectly fine except while using the rope with the thief.

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:15 am

zephyramis wrote:
fb_jlarja wrote:Ah, there's a recent RumblePad 2 update missing from 1.17. Go to Settings => Configure controls menu. Depending on whether you have the CE version of the game or not, either reconfigure Jump or reconfigure Rope jump from Thief tab.
-JLarja

I have tried to reconfigure the buttons several times but I've still got the same problem.
In the configure controls menu there are no tabs for the different characters when configuring the gamepad. The buttons are the same for them all, and there is no such thing as a Rope jump button, only a Jump button.
I don't understand why the Jump button works perfectly fine except while using the rope with the thief.

Yeah, unfortunately the new configuration menu is only available in CE version of the game (for duration of the beta) and the old one cannot actually fix this problem. However, you can fix this by editing the binds files directly.

Open folder

Code: Select all

%appdata%\Trine2\UserBinds

You can do that by copypasting the above line to Explorer's address bar. You should see some files beginning with text "User_Custom_". Find the one mentioning Thief and Logitech RumblePad and open it. Find the line that says "Jump = " on it (should be "jump = 1, Button, Undefined, 1"). Copy paste that line (so you now have two identical "jump =" lines and rename one of the jumps to ropeJump (so you should have "ropeJump = 1, Button, Undefined, 1"). That should do it.

If you can't find proper file in UserBinds directory, you must go to Configure controls menu and edit some binding (you can, for example, just rebind the jump button). That should create the files.

The reason there's separate jump and ropeJump bindings is that when playing with keyboard, you want to jump when pressing W, but you don't want to jump off the rope with that.

-JLarja

zephyramis

Postby zephyramis » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:43 pm

That did the trick. Now I'm able to play it as before once again :)
It was really important to get this fixed, since it's both my favourite character and I play co-op with a friend who dislikes being the thief.

Thanks for the help and a truly magnificent game!

Return to “Trine 2”