DRM free T2 & expansion?

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
rigid

DRM free T2 & expansion?

Postby rigid » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:27 am

The only reason I've supported buying the game on Steam in advance is because I know eventually I'll get the DRM-free version. It's been quite a while since an update on the Trine 2 DRM-free version. Any updates?

I want to buy the expansion on Steam tonight as well, but only if the same provision applies: will the Goblin Menace be released DRM-free later on?

Also: I was specifically referring to the Windows DRM-free version, not necessarily the linux versions

T4nkcommander

Re: DRM free T2 & expansion?

Postby T4nkcommander » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:09 pm

I agree. I'm not a fan of steam, and I'd love the DRM free version of T2 and GM.

Lyril

Postby Lyril » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:26 am

I HATE Steam with a passion!

I'd bought Trine 1 when it came out, bought Trine 2 Collectors edition from Steam and tried to buy the complete version for my grandkids. Not working.

I also have a new computer, so I lost Trine 2. I've spent hours trying to reinstall it, as I've already bought it so I thought I owned it. Steam won't accept the activation key as it's registered to a previous purchase (me!). I've spent literally hours trying to get a game I already own.

Not happy.

rigid

Postby rigid » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:36 am

Yes, I've had a decent amount of frustration setting the client up for multi on Steam, but really I'm more supportive of projects/companies that don't use DRM. I classify Steam as DRM and I don't play many games so the 'game library' aspect of it is worthless to me.

Mostly, I'm just interested in an official response from FB on this topic, because I am withholding buying The Goblin Menace via Steam until I know that it will eventually be released DRM free! If I have to buy directly through the FB Humble store to get the DRM free game later on, I'd much rather do that.

While I'm thinking about this: I'm assuming The Goblin Menace has its own soundtrack (although shorter than vanilla T2)? When will the soundtrack become available? I'd be interested in buying that + the game content (from FB store as mentioned above).

FB_JussiE

Postby FB_JussiE » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:19 pm

Hello all!

For DRM version I unfortunately have no update when it is coming, but I promise I'll post here as soon as I get to know more deatails about it. I'd say its safe to assume the expansion will be released DRM free at some point as well, but I cannot make any promises.

I also have a new computer, so I lost Trine 2. I've spent hours trying to reinstall it, as I've already bought it so I thought I owned it. Steam won't accept the activation key as it's registered to a previous purchase (me!). I've spent literally hours trying to get a game I already own.

You only have to activate the key once, after that the key is bound to your account and you can reinstall the game just by logging back to the account where you have the game and navigating to the library in steam, look for Trine 2 right click on it and select install game.

Lyril

Postby Lyril » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:08 am

Well, Trine 2 has finally been reinstalled, on my new computer. What an effort that took. But now Steam won't let me install Goblin Menace which I've bought from Gamers Gate. I don't know why. Another marathon effort coming up I guess.

I hate Steam. I want a standalone game in a pretty box!!

rigid

Postby rigid » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:27 am

FB_JussiE wrote:Hello all!

For DRM version I unfortunately have no update when it is coming, but I promise I'll post here as soon as I get to know more deatails about it. I'd say its safe to assume the expansion will be released DRM free at some point as well, but I cannot make any promises.

Thanks for the response FB_JussiE! Back to the question of purchasing the DRM-free version: if I want to eventually get the DRM-free version, I should wait until you guys have it up for sale on your Humble Store, correct? What I mean is: if I buy it on Steam, there is no way to also get DRM-free later from you guys? Whereas, if I buy from you guys, I get both (although it may be a longer wait)?

How about a status update on how the DRM-free Trine 2 (not necessarily expansion) is coming? It's been a while since any official update.
;
I'm trying to avoid Goblin Menace spoiler videos, so I'll ask here: does it have completely new audio tracks for the levels?

FB_JussiE

Postby FB_JussiE » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:37 am

Hello rigid!

For "vanilla" Trine2: ff you want the DRM free I'd suggest buying from our humble store as all purchases from there will include the DRM free once it is released (the humble store purchases also include Steam and Desura keys as well as the Linux version).

For Goblin Menace: I do not know details as of yet, but I'll ask around once more people show up at the office and give you an update later today.

We're sorry for the delay on the DRM free version and hopefully we'll have some new info about it soon.

All the new maps have their own background music and there's a few other new ones as well.

Speakerpankratz

Postby Speakerpankratz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:17 pm

Hi, any news on the DRM free version of T2 that you can share?
As far as Goblin Menace, I'd love to be able to buy a GOG version since there's no way to get a Steam-free version even from your store. Any chances of that happening?

Thank you in advance!

FB_JussiE

Postby FB_JussiE » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:01 pm

Hello again!

Im extremely sorry for the delay!

So the current plan is "later this year". It is coming, but there is no set date.
It has taken much longer than we anticipated and we're really sorry for that :( .

surreal_pistachio

Postby surreal_pistachio » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:11 am

Are there any news about this? It was supposed to be released last year, so I would just like an update. Thank you.

ERASER_M

Postby ERASER_M » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:48 pm

There is a Trine Complete Collection including Trine 2, Goblin Menace and Trine 1 as Download-Code on Amazon.de (also on amazon.fr) .

It's announced for February 22:
http://www.amazon.de/Focus-Home-Interac ... 00AQETE5W/

But theres no information about the DRM or Protection... :(

Mewgod

Postby Mewgod » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:06 pm

@Frozenbyte&JoelFB
Where's the promised Language Patch in German and others Languages??? I will not Pay extra what i have Payd already!

Speakerpankratz

Postby Speakerpankratz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:47 am

Hello, dear Frozenbyte developers - sorry for asking this question again, but is the DRM-free version of Trine 2 (for those of us who bought it directly from the Frozenbyte store) still on the way? It was supposed to come out by the end of last year, yet here we are, it's already February, 2013...

What about Goblin Menace? I'd love to buy it too, but it's Steam exclusive. Will that change, will there be a DRM-free version? Is there a chance of a GOG release?

Thank you in advance.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:29 pm

Yes, it's still coming, sadly it has just taken a lot longer than we anticipated originally. When it finally releases it will make both Trine 2 and Trine 2: Goblin Menace DRM-free. GOG release is a possibility too, we'll have to see...

Languages coming soon as well, sorry for the long delay. :(
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

spectatorx

Postby spectatorx » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi Joel!
Yes, delay is pretty long but anyway i'm still with you, you released so many patches and awesome dlc, game is awesome and waiting for updates is pleasure :-)

Maybe you could share beta with me? I would like to check out beta and provide to you reports on bugs (if any might find).
An interesting blog that i've found out some time ago:
http://themaningrayhat.wordpress.com/

Speakerpankratz

Postby Speakerpankratz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:06 am

fb_joel wrote:Yes, it's still coming, sadly it has just taken a lot longer than we anticipated originally. When it finally releases it will make both Trine 2 and Trine 2: Goblin Menace DRM-free. GOG release is a possibility too, we'll have to see...

That's excellent! I'll happily purchase the expansion then, too. Good things come to those who wait, eh? :)
Thank you for a quick reply and good luck negotiating that GOG deal. :wink:

ledomira

Postby ledomira » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:32 pm

Definitely release it on GOG. I trust them more than other vendors.

I bought Trine on GOG and love it.

When Trine 2 with the Gobline Menace expansion comes to GOG, I will definitely buy it.

kkaden

Postby kkaden » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Any news on this front?

Looking forward to spending my money on this game/expac but really dislike all forms of drm

hawk

Postby hawk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:57 am

I had actually forgotten about Goblin Menace/Trine/Frozenbyte so long has it been since the expansion was released and every time I check it still requires Steam. I'm no longer gonna ask though, because Frozenbyte clearly has other priorities.

moho25

Postby moho25 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:10 pm

hawk wrote:I had actually forgotten about Goblin Menace/Trine/Frozenbyte so long has it been since the expansion was released and every time I check it still requires Steam. I'm no longer gonna ask though, because Frozenbyte clearly has other priorities.

Yeah, I literally cannot believe we are still waiting for this a year and a half later. I loved the original Trine and I couldn't wait for the next one to come out.

But, I won't purchase any digital game that requires Steam (or any other service). I prefer a physical copy, without a service, as all true SP games should be, imo. That way I know that I own it and can easily reinstall it onto my system at will.

I will even tolerate a straight digital copy, like Torchlight 2. Again, no Steam necessary. What I won't do, however, is purchase a digital copy through any particular service. I don't even feel like I own anything at that point. I'm basically renting the game. I own nothing physically, and my ability to play it can be taken away by a clerical error on the part of the service. To me, that is unacceptable.

The fact that Frozenbyte is working on "Splot" doesn't leave me much hope that we'll ever see this DRM-free Windows version.

As impressed as I was with Trine (and Frozenbyte), if I'm going to have to wait over a year and a half to play every game they release...I've lost interest. :(

kkaden

Postby kkaden » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:55 am

It's been nearly 3 months since we got an update on this, can we get a FB_[insert_name_here] reply

mandark

Postby mandark » Fri May 17, 2013 12:25 am

i'm also still waiting for the DRM free Trine2 + expansion and will buy it instantly when it's out. hope it isn't too long now. :roll:

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Fri May 17, 2013 7:52 am

kkaden wrote:It's been nearly 3 months since we got an update on this, can we get a FB_[insert_name_here] reply

I don't think we have any schedule for DRM free release. It will come out at some point (hopefully sooner rather than later), but as it has no business value on it's own (there are very few people who would rather buy DRM free version than a Steam version, if latter costs about 0.0001 euros less. Actually, I would personally rather buy Steam version for the ease of use even if it cost a bit more), it isn't much of a priority.

-(FB_)JLarja

spectatorx

Postby spectatorx » Fri May 17, 2013 10:01 am

fb_jlarja wrote:
kkaden wrote:It's been nearly 3 months since we got an update on this, can we get a FB_[insert_name_here] reply

I don't think we have any schedule for DRM free release. It will come out at some point (hopefully sooner rather than later), but as it has no business value on it's own (there are very few people who would rather buy DRM free version than a Steam version, if latter costs about 0.0001 euros less. Actually, I would personally rather buy Steam version for the ease of use even if it cost a bit more), it isn't much of a priority.

-(FB_)JLarja

It is not only about future buys but also about support to customers who already bought the game, they should receive latest version of game which they bought. You released game in many versions, for consoles, desura, steam and drm-free. If you released all these versions you should support them all the same way without making exceptions. You, developers, have to remember one rule: "satisfied customer brings 10 more customers, pissed customer brings 100 less customers.". Support to released game is how to make your customers satisfied.

I've bought the game in humble bundle store/frozenbyte site because i wanted to have all pc versions of game and i expect i will receive drm-free version of game updated for windows and linux as well.

P.S.
Personally i would rather buy only drm-free version over steam/desura even if it cost a bit more because i do not care about some useless achievements and i'm pretty oldschool, i prefer to run installer from my cd/dvd/hdd and do not install any more useless to my gaming application (steam/desura in mind) and do not have to login to any service - this is ease of use to me.
An interesting blog that i've found out some time ago:
http://themaningrayhat.wordpress.com/

Return to “Trine 2”