Weird ping issues since Goblin Menace (9999 pings)

For discussion about Trine 2, released in December 2011 on Windows, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation Network and later on Linux and Wii U.
trikay

Weird ping issues since Goblin Menace (9999 pings)

Postby trikay » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:44 pm

I recently bought the DLC and was going to play it with a friend but it didn't work since the pings we get spike from 200 to 9999 and then disconnect.

Before people give me the same advice that has already been given:

Ports are open. Both steam ports and 7300-7315
Jumbo Frames are off
Nobody is downloading or disturbing the network on either computer
Network option file checks out as correctly configured.
Happens on all servers for me and my friend.
No difference between private and public
Tried changing download server on Steam.
Tried with UPnP on and off

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=95323279 Screenshot of how the browser looks.

This might be because of an overload in players but seeing as I have only seen 1 thread that looks like they have the same problem I think it might be on our side.

Since Valve are asses when it comes to refunding stuff it would be great to see if somebody else has these problems and/or fixes for them.

FB_JussiE

Re: Weird ping issues since Goblin Menace (9999 pings)

Postby FB_JussiE » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:25 am

Hello trikay and sorry to hear you're having trouble with the game.

You seem to have done all the most common tricks to get the netplay working, so we'll skip those.
It'd greatly assist us to track down the cause if you and your friend could enable logging for your Trine 2's from the options.txt file located in %APPDATA%\Trine2\ .
From there change the option "setOption(networkModule, "NetLogEnabled", false)" from false to true.

The game will then log all network activity to log\trine2.log.
It is a plain text file so you can just open it with notepad and copypaste the contents.

Here's some additional information that would help us:
- what game settings you are using (resolution, graphics detail level, etc)
- your computer specs
- your location (country/city)
- your ISP and bandwidth/connection

You can either post here or send us email to Image.

Really sorry for the inconvenience, hopefully we can get this solved quickly.

trikay

Postby trikay » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:57 pm

Unfortunately my friend isn't on at the moment so I can't show you a log file from when I am playing with him but I can show you this one which is me trying to join lobbies but failing and then when I finally connect it's very laggy.

trine2.log = http://pastebin.com/Lmt8m5Gb

info:
1080p, 120hz (I do have a monitor that supports this), Extreme AA, Very High Graphics, no 3D, no VSYNC, English language.

i5 2500k @ 4.0 GHz
GTX 570 @ 790 MHz Core
8GB RAM
USB Keyboard and Mouse without drivers
ASRock Extreme 4 P67 motherboard (if you want to look up what internet card is on it)
Windows 7 x64

I'm located in Sweden, Falköping

ISP = Telia Sonera - 12 Mbit Down and 1 Mbit up.

Friend:
Probably Medium to High settings

AMD X4 Phenom 695 BE
AMD 6870
4 GB RAM
USB keyboard + mouse with no drivers and an XBOX controller
ASRock Extreme 4 970
Windows 7 x64

Same location as me

ISP = Telia Sonera - 24 Mbit down and 4 Mbit up

I know how annoying these issues could be to try to solve so I will provide as much info as I can so that we could resolve the issue.

FB_JussiE

Postby FB_JussiE » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:26 am

Thank you very much for all the info!
I've forwarded the information you gave to our coders, whom will look in to it as soon as they can.

fash_ric

Postby fash_ric » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi guys. I think I may have found the cause and temp fix for this issue I will copy and paste what I wrote on the steam forums.

I think me and my buddy found the solution. It seems that having vertical sync turned off on my end (the host) caused his ping to sky rocket until he was disconnected as described in the op's post. Turning vertical sync back on caused his ping to become normal again and now we can play :D Not sure the reasoning behind it but I hope this helps anyone else having the same annoying issue.

FB_JussiE

Postby FB_JussiE » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:15 am

Hello again!

It appears that the issue is with UDP ports 27300 - 27315 not being forwarded.
There might as well be some issues with the steam ports being open, so it'd be good idea to double check that the ports listed in https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -GLVN-8711 are open.

Let us know if you encounter further problems :)

trikay

Postby trikay » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:03 pm

Just port checked again using PFPortChecker and the Trine 2 mp test thing. Ports are open and there is still ping issues.

However, I was able to play with my friend a couple of days ago and the lag was probably only around 200-400.

thebiffman

Postby thebiffman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:15 pm

Me and my friend are having more or less the exact same problem. Most often we cant even join and if we can the ping goes between 100 and a couple of thousand. It is not really playable. We have tried all the things in the megathread. Including downgrading. I will from now on call the computers "BJORN" and "BIFF".

Trine log file(with netlog enabled)

BIFF: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/699329/trine2_biff.log
BJORN: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/699329/trine2_bjorn.log

- what game settings you are using (resolution, graphics detail level, etc)

BIFF: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/699329/trine_biff.png

BJORN: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/699329/trine_bjorn.png

- your computer specs
DXDIAG_BIFF: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/699329/dxdiag_biff.txt

- your location (country/city)
BIFF: Katrineholm, SWEDEN
BJORN: Linköping, SWEDEN

- your ISP and bandwidth/connection
BIFF: Bredbandsbolaget ADSL 15/2Mbit (down/up)
BJORN: Bahnhof Fiber 10/10Mbit (down/up)

FB_JussiE

Postby FB_JussiE » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:11 pm

Hello thebiffman and sorry to hear you're having trouble with the game.

I've forwarded the information you gave to the coders who will take a look at it once they get a moment.
Things are very hectic here at the moment, but we'll try to figure the situation out asap.

Thanks for effort you've put on documenting the issue all the info you've given will help us track down the cause faster!

fash_ric

Postby fash_ric » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:21 am

Please ignore my previous post in this thread as it didnt work when we tried again. Having the same issues with my friends too, we haven't even been able to play since the day The Goblin menace was released. Three of us purchased it to play in co-op together and none of us have played since then because of this issue :!: Pretty much a waste of money for all 3 of us at the moment and its not inspiring confidence in us to purchase future Frozenbyte titles in the if such a major issue as this that's been affecting a lot of people is not fixed a month or more after release.

FB_JussiE

Postby FB_JussiE » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:19 am

Hello fash_ric.

Sorry to hear the issue wasn't fixed after all.
If you post us your netlogs and system specs we will take a look of the issue.
There's only so much we can do when it comes to connectivity as we cannot forcibly configure end users routers, so if there's a port closed or not forwarded properly the game cannot do anything about it.

We're ofcourse happy to help in these situations, but we need a little bit of information as the issues differ from case to case.

fash_ric

Postby fash_ric » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:32 pm

I can tell you that all the ports are forwarded correctly on all routers because we used your own tool to check them. Also all other games we play co-op through Steam work without a problem (Borderlands, Portal 2, Terraria, Saints Row The Third and Payday). So all the facts point towards a problem with your game and not our equipment. But I will post here again later with our logs and hardware specs as requested.

fb_jlarja

Postby fb_jlarja » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:20 am

fash_ric wrote:So all the facts point towards a problem with your game and not our equipment.

That may well be, but unless we can reproduce the problem, it's nearly impossible to fix it. We aren't sitting on some pile of known network bugs that we just refuse to fix. Any logs and information about your setup could be a great help. Or not. Without them, however, we don't even know where to look.

Today's Internet is quite challenging for a P2P game like Trine. It's easy to communicate with dedicated server that has public IP address and known hardware and software configuration. Typical user, however, has a NAT firewall (which may have some automatic intrusion detection thingies messing things up) and a security software suite. Getting through all that crap and successfully pairing two such users requires kludges and hacks. What's worse, the most robust techniques (relaying via dedicated public server) add significantly to the ping.

So rather than just choosing the easiest way, we try to choose the lowest ping way. And then it may happen that even though connection is originally established and tested to work, one of the routers decides to drop it after 30 seconds or something like that.

The real problem, as I see it (from some distance, as I haven't actually written any low level net code for Trine), is the complexity of the situation, both on our side and on players'. It is a bit much to require ordinary people to open ports on their routers and firewalls and tweak settings to get optimal performance (or just working connection). Paired with the fact that our code must support many connection types just begs for hard to trace bugs and error situations to happen.

As a side note, I think we have an option (or rather a combination of options) that offloads all communication to Steam. One would think that that would work, if anything else fails, but apparently that's not the case.

-JLarja

Return to “Trine 2”