People interested in working on the game?

Jack Claw was in development between 2006-2008 and was released in the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle for the community to play and build upon.
FB_Mikael

People interested in working on the game?

Postby FB_Mikael » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:59 pm

This thread is meant to act as a sort of a sign-up board for the Jack Claw crowd source project.

So if you are interested in working on the game, post your details and fields of interest here and we will try to get a community going. :)

AyeGill

Re: People interested in working on the game?

Postby AyeGill » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi

I have some experience with c++(when i say some, i mean very little), and i'm definitely interested in working on this.

First priority for me would be to make it compatible with mouse+keyboard, and then generally clean up the code, make it easier to use.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:41 pm

We actually already did the mouse+keyb support (shoud be coming out soonish). Also the porting team is working on mac/linux versions and they have also cleaned the code quite some bit, so we will get a better version of the source at that point also :)

AyeGill

Postby AyeGill » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Well, it appears all my wishes will be granted :D

StevenT

Postby StevenT » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:48 pm

Hello, I'm interested in contributing. I can program in C++, have some experience using graphics APIs (mainly OpenGL with a little bit of Direct3D) and have machines running Linux, Windows 7 and Mac OS X for cross platform development and testing.

My main interest was in helping to get it running on Linux/Mac so it's good to hear that a new upcoming release is on the way that is already addressing that.

Darkmoo

Postby Darkmoo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:56 pm

Well, I'm still somewhat new off the C++ bus, but I would like to help create gameplay mechanics for the game and work on the storyline/story mechanics for the game

Sushiflinger

Postby Sushiflinger » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:30 pm

Hey, I'm interested in working on Jack Claw.

Unfortunately, I don't know C++ but I am fluent in HTML/CSS (including the newer standards HTML5 and CSS3) and can help write a storyline etc.

I can also help playtest. :lol:

Gartral

Postby Gartral » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:15 pm

ANY chance on getting this too run on Intel Graphics?

FB_Mikael

Postby FB_Mikael » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Nice to see so much interest towards Jack Claw.

We will indeed be posting a lot here on the forums and helping out as much as we can.

For now the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle is taking the majority of our time, but hopefully soon we can get the Jack Claw community organized and moving forward.

And once again thanks for all the support with HFB :)

Plombo

Postby Plombo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:15 am

Although this shouldn't be taken as a commitment, I'm interested in contributing, especially on Linux. I have some OpenGL experience, and I use an open graphics driver (Nouveau) on my computer, so I would be able to ensure that things work with Mesa as well as the proprietary drivers. :)

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:32 pm

I'm the Linux porting guy. I can at least answer questions.

For the Intel driver, maybe if mesa guys get their drivers in order. Even so it's going to be a bitch because only some Intel GPUs support the necessary features and it's hard to tell them apart.

Nouveau, not likely. I'm not sure they even have accelerated 3D on most GPUs yet.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

josebagar

Postby josebagar » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:37 pm

Probably won't have time to regularly work on the project, but I did play around with the code a bit yesterday. I'm sharing my comments in case they're useful to someone.

As a small coding exercise and until Nvidia sends me (or doesn't) the Physx SDK, I've been porting the Fmod 3 code to Fmod EX, as Fmod 3 was being a bit hard to find for me.
I haven't yet finished with that and, as I said, I don't have access to the Physx SDK so I cannot test it, but I believe it should work fine. Is there any interest for such code? I can share it when I'm done with it if someone actually wants to ue it. It is pretty straightforward.

I also tried to compile the engine using Visual Studio 2010. VS complains at some point about a "ambiguous symbol" (r something like that) when using shared_prt, as both VS and the version of boost I'm using implement it. I had to change those into boost::shared_ptr as suggested here.
Apart from that, the engine code seemed to compile fine in Debug mode.

PS: Hope to see that Linux code soon, as I'm more of a Linux user :)
Last edited by josebagar on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AyeGill

Postby AyeGill » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:46 pm

Since keyboard+mouse support has arrived, my incentive to actually code anything has disappeared completely. I might make something with the editor, though

StevenT

Postby StevenT » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:51 pm

I've had a similar experience compiling it in VS 2010 with having to fix those ambiguous shared_ptr to boost::shared_ptr in various files. I'm also waiting on Nvidia to give me access to the Physx SDK as well as not having the correct version of Fmod, but it seems that for the most part things are compiling.

relaysignal

Postby relaysignal » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:11 am

I'd love to help out as a graphic designer/cartoonist/concept artist. I have quite a bit of experience with these fields (www.relaysignal.com has some of my graphic design stuff) and I'd love to help out!

Urfoex

Postby Urfoex » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:53 am

Me would also like to help out.
I know a little bit of how to use Blender, how to program (C, C++, Java, other ...) and work on and with Linux.
I had already set up a "Jack Claw" project page on google-project with mercurial:
http://code.google.com/p/jack-claw/
and will try to keep it in sync with the git (https://github.com/Frozenbyte/Jack-Claw) one.
+-----------------------------------------------------------------\
| Debian testing 64Bit on
| * AMD Phenom x4 905e (4x2500Mhz)
| * 6GB Ram
| * AMD/ATI Radeon HD4770 (fglrx)
+-----------------------------------------------------------------/

Sawrig

Postby Sawrig » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:04 pm

I you guys would allow me I would be concept art/ character design. I've been heavily focusing my life on art for the last 7 years, I would pull of some great artwork if you would allow me.

Sawrig.

fb_eelis

Postby fb_eelis » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:03 pm

Sawrig wrote:I you guys would allow me I would be concept art/ character design. I've been heavily focusing my life on art for the last 7 years, I would pull of some great artwork if you would allow me.

Sawrig.

Hey Sawrig!

Of course! That would be sweet. We will make some kind of art repository, á la github/google code for you to upload concept art/ideas. You wouldn't happen to have some kind of idea for that kind of service at the moment? :)

Kalastor

Postby Kalastor » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:58 pm

What about DeviantArt? Or a, simple, shared tinypic account?

I don't think there's a github like service about images, but I can be wrong.

FB_Mikael

Postby FB_Mikael » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:04 pm

If you can think of a good place to put pics collectively we can get that going soon.
Until then you can email them to us and we will post them on our servers.

Also if you want to look a bit more at the concept art that we have already made for Jack Claw, here is a link to that.
http://frozenbyte.com/press/press_jack.php

thegforcian

Postby thegforcian » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:13 am

I would love to help in any way I can with this. I'm not a coder; however I have done a fair bit of hex editing and can do just about anything I can find a tutorial for.

I am somewhat proficient with linux, and could if instructed; probably compile builds to add to the current git repository, help aggregate news and updates on the status of the project or look for engine bugs or things that need tweaking. I have a high level of mental stamina and things such as playing a single level over and over again looking for ways to break the game are something I tend to be good at.

I'm not sure I could contribute to the art style, however I would enjoy adding to the story arch if my input is found useful.

I would also love to help with fixing the broken shaders in this game, as at the moment I've found it to be relatively unplayable.

Just a few thoughts.

Kiryx

Postby Kiryx » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:26 am

Howdy! I'm a C++ coder with some OpenGL experience (mostly university projects). I would like to contribute to the project if possible. I'm running on Linux so I can do testing on this platform if needed.

Priest

Postby Priest » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:12 am

Hi all. I was very excited when I went through the small playable portion of Jack Claw. Such potential :). Does this project only have use for programmers/artists? I have worked in the game industry before, but I am primarily a writer. If writers are not needed, then no worries and I will still be watching this project closely!

Plombo

Postby Plombo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:04 pm

alt_turo wrote:I'm the Linux porting guy. I can at least answer questions.

For the Intel driver, maybe if mesa guys get their drivers in order. Even so it's going to be a bitch because only some Intel GPUs support the necessary features and it's hard to tell them apart.

Nouveau, not likely. I'm not sure they even have accelerated 3D on most GPUs yet.

Nouveau has accelerated 3D on all GPUs that it supports. And for the record, Trine, Shadowgrounds, and Shadowgrounds: Survivor all run flawlessly with Nouveau using the nv50 Gallium3D driver and the latest Mesa from git. :D

dublindan

Postby dublindan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:20 am

Though I cannot commit to anything, I am interested in helping out.

I have professional experience in C++, Java and Python (though not in game development) and have done some reasonably simple hobbyist game development in C++ and SDL/OpenGL over the years, though nothing terribly exciting. I will start digging through the code over the next few days anyway and see what happens.

If somebody figures out a Jack Claw modding plan, though, let me know if theres anything I can do to contribute.

Return to “Jack Claw Feedback & Development”