People interested in working on the game?

Jack Claw was in development between 2006-2008 and was released in the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle for the community to play and build upon.
MrHangover

Re: People interested in working on the game?

Postby MrHangover » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:08 am

I think I could help out a bit.

I can help with concept art, perhaps some 3d models too, but mostly 2 artwork. I could probably send some concept art soon, if you're interested.

Even if you don't need my help, I'll just be watching from the sideline, wishing good luck!

aceupmysleeve

Postby aceupmysleeve » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:57 pm

I'm a student with limited experience, but if there's room for someone to learn as he does (on the programming side of things) I'd love to help out

noian

Postby noian » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:35 pm

I have only basic knowledge of Java and C++, but interested in the learning opportunity. Mainly a windows user (XP/7; I also have Vista somewhere), I should switch to Linux seeing as programmers love it but the lack of programs I want is annoying. I can contribute in Photoshop, Maya (preferred), Cinema4D, 3DSMax (I hate it), Premiere, Audacity, simple concepts (spaceships are my specialty, I can't draw animals though), and writing. If I contributed, it would probably be through Netbeans or Eclipse (Visual Studio, while free for a student like me through the school, refuses to install on my computer). Even if I don't have time to make major code contributions, I think looking through the source will definitely be useful in learning good coding practices, and I can do simple modding.

MystikQC

Postby MystikQC » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi,

I'm a student in video game progamming in Canada. I can help out with the game. I know the C++ and OpenGl. I am able work on the gameplay mechanics. I am looking forward to contribute on this project on my free time.

Anyone know if it's compiling correctly on VS 2010? I looked at the solution and it was a VS 2005 solution. Looking forward to see how we put this project together. I really like the actual prototype.

matt.griffith

Postby matt.griffith » Mon May 02, 2011 9:47 pm

I would love to work on this game, I've played the prototype that was included in the humble indie bundle and I think that this game has so much potential. I don't not have any experience in making video games, but I have been trying to get into the field and would be willing to learn anything that I need to.

Even if you don't think that I won't be any help in the coding, level design, writing, etc. I would be willing to help in other ways such as play testing

Taika-Kim

Postby Taika-Kim » Fri May 13, 2011 11:07 am

Any need for a sound designer?

I've been doing electronic music for the past 12 years or so, but interested in getting into sound design too. I have been doing a lot of field recordings for my musical project over the years, and I'm also an experimental instrument builder and craftsman, so there's of plenty of creativity behind my technical skills. I have very good audio manipulation skills. I also used to do c++ and a bit of assembler too when I was younger, so I could get into the sound integration too, if needed, depending a bit of how it's done in this project. I also have basic Blender skills, if that helps. I saw people talking about using it here for the project.

I'm mostly interested in recording and sound design work, doing sounds on request, but I _might_ have time for some soundtrack work too, though the heavily electronic styles I'm best at hardly would fit the game I think. Unless we want an upbeat 80s Rob Hubbard style chip soundtrack?-)

What I would like to see is something like this:
[metallic sound of the claw hitting a tree material, short]
[stepping in a pool of water]
[the sound of metal giving way, moaning and breaking]

My music: http://aavepyora.wordpress.com
My crafts & instruments: http://taika-kim.deviantart.com

StevenT

Postby StevenT » Fri May 13, 2011 10:40 pm

Taika-Kim wrote:Any need for a sound designer?

Totally! Having someone with the experience and equipment to do original sound effects for the game would be great.

Taika-Kim

Postby Taika-Kim » Tue May 17, 2011 11:24 am

I'm also starting to learn WWISE shortly, how is the sound integrated for now? I recall that it was used for Trine at least? So maybe I could make this a great WWISE training for myself too :)

I haven't looked at the project yet, actually looking through the forum it didn't come completely clear to me where can I get the project files?

StevenT

Postby StevenT » Tue May 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Taika-Kim wrote:I'm also starting to learn WWISE shortly, how is the sound integrated for now? I recall that it was used for Trine at least? So maybe I could make this a great WWISE training for myself too :)

The Windows version uses FMOD and the Mac/Linux version uses OpenAL for sound APIs. What tools FB used for the actual sound creation, I've no idea. Perhaps someone from FB could give some info on how their audio work flow worked.

Could you give a bit of a summary as to what advantages Wwise has over other solutions. It seems to have a free non commercial licence which is good but the fact it does not seem to support Linux as a target platform is a problem.

Taika-Kim wrote:I haven't looked at the project yet, actually looking through the forum it didn't come completely clear to me where can I get the project files?

Source code: https://github.com/Frozenbyte/Jack-Claw

For the assets/prototype package, it can only be downloaded if you bought the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle which is currently over. Hopefully FB have a plan for how to get contributors that missed the bundle access to the prototype (perhaps putting the assets/prototype package up for free on the Jack Claw minisite? :P )

Taika-Kim

Postby Taika-Kim » Thu May 19, 2011 8:34 am

I have of yet absolutely no experience in audio integration, and that's why I want to learn it ;)

I read some interviews and such, and got the impression that using WWISE involves much less low level coding than FMOD, and it's easier to set up more complex audio behaviors and so on... But I guess that if the game is already using something, there's no reason to move to another solution and create extra work.

Anybody here with some actual knowledge and experience?

chrisvarns

Postby chrisvarns » Tue May 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Hi, I'm interested in helping out in the project in any way I can, as I have limited experience in games programming and would like to engage with a large-scale project in this area and grow my skills. I have experience in C and C++ in desktop and embedded environments, as well as OpenGL, in both its desktop and embedded (ES) subsets. I have a good working knowledge of Windows and linux for development purposes. My primary games programming experience has been working on porting open source games to ARM platforms for demonstration purposes (quake and the like).

I purchased the Bundle which is how I came across this project :)

Num_T

Postby Num_T » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:40 pm

I can help out with any 3D modelling / texture mapping / animation. But probably only if I can use 3ds Max and Maya for the animation, not too familiar with Blender I'm afraid...

Flonk

Postby Flonk » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:16 pm

Okay so I am interested too.
I have some experience with C++ in Games and the Theory of 3D-Programming.
But first I´d like to ask some questions:
1. Is this Project still alive?
2. Does this Project have any structure yet (apart from Codebases)
3. While there is already some kind of story, what is the way you are
planning to go with this project.
4. Shouldn´t there be an entry on ModDB?

EDIT: To dumb to check the rest of the Forum as I got here by google.

Urfoex

Postby Urfoex » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Flonk wrote:Okay so I am interested too.
I have some experience with C++ in Games and the Theory of 3D-Programming.

You are welcome!

Flonk wrote:Okay so I am interested too.
But first I´d like to ask some questions:
1. Is this Project still alive?

That's one question I also would like to know.
A big problem (for me) is the not getting of the PhysX SDK. You need it to compile the game and you only get it from nVidia but only if they like you…

Else there is a lot to read from alt_turo what should be thought over and discussed.
+-----------------------------------------------------------------\
| Debian testing 64Bit on
| * AMD Phenom x4 905e (4x2500Mhz)
| * 6GB Ram
| * AMD/ATI Radeon HD4770 (fglrx)
+-----------------------------------------------------------------/

vayerx

Postby vayerx » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:06 pm

Hi, I'm developing Shadowgrounds from time to time. So, I'm interested in updates of Storm3D and other game libraries.
Maybe we could either merge all games together to single repository (as long as there is no active development), either extract those libraries into standalone repository and use it from all game projects.

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:21 pm

vayerx wrote:Hi, I'm developing Shadowgrounds from time to time. So, I'm interested in updates of Storm3D and other game libraries.
Maybe we could either merge all games together to single repository (as long as there is no active development), either extract those libraries into standalone repository and use it from all game projects.

I discussed this possibility here
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

Wouter

Postby Wouter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:25 pm

Perhaps you could enter Jack Claw as a Kickstarter project?

CheatCat

Postby CheatCat » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:59 pm

Wouter wrote:Perhaps you could enter Jack Claw as a Kickstarter project?

Bad idea. I haven't seen any good project at the Kickstarter thing that are getting anywhere. And kickstarter is crazy, some guy got $$$ for developing a game using free tools. What do you need money for on this?

Its sad that this project is going slowly. Hm, I do not really have time for this...

Wouter

Postby Wouter » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:50 pm

CheatCat wrote:
Wouter wrote:Perhaps you could enter Jack Claw as a Kickstarter project?

Bad idea. I haven't seen any good project at the Kickstarter thing that are getting anywhere. And kickstarter is crazy, some guy got $$$ for developing a game using free tools. What do you need money for on this?

Its sad that this project is going slowly. Hm, I do not really have time for this...

Oh? So what about these:

- http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/100 ... 2-2013-csg
- http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sto ... a?ref=live
- http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sta ... ncarnation

Return to “Jack Claw Feedback & Development”