How to play Jack Claw on Linux?

Jack Claw was in development between 2006-2008 and was released in the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle for the community to play and build upon.
atari130xe

How to play Jack Claw on Linux?

Postby atari130xe » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Hello people, I have downloaded Humble Frozenbyte bundle and I have played Trine & Shadowgrounds they are really good and addictive but also I have downloaded Jack Claws and I don't know what to do.
There are 2 files to download:
Editor & Assets and Source
I have downloaded source, I have unzipped files and sincerely I don't know whats follows (any executable or so?
thanks for your kind help
Josh
MY system: PCLinuxOS 2010.12 (updated)

CheatCat

Re: How to play Jack Claw on Linux?

Postby CheatCat » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:52 pm

Use wine or wait 'till the stuff got ported.

StevenT

Postby StevenT » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:50 pm

The currently released version is Windows only. However there should hopefully be an updated version with Linux/Mac support getting released soon - see this post.

atari130xe

Postby atari130xe » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:36 am

Oh ok I will wait then.

atari130xe

Postby atari130xe » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:14 pm

I am not lucky it does not start on wine :( any special configuration?

StevenT

Postby StevenT » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:41 pm

The Linux version has now been put up on the Humble Bundle download page.

I've just tried it and there is a few issues I'm having. First is there a way to change the resolution? The Windows version has the launcher for doing that but this version doesn't seem to have that. Also the menu/video appears blank but hitting enter starts the game anyway. Also once the game has started I seem unable to move with the keyboard, the mouse/claw controls work fine though. Even with this issues it's great that it now more or less working on Linux!

When can we hope to see the new source release with these updates to the codebase? :)

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:06 pm

Code: Select all

mkdir -p ~/.frozenbyte/claw
cp -a config ~/.frozenbyte/claw/
cp -a profiles ~/.frozenbyte/claw/

Edit ~/.frozenbyte/config/options.txt to change resolution.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

alt_tuomas

Postby alt_tuomas » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:14 pm

This version was intended for internal testing by Frozenbyte, but it got released somehow. We have already fixed video playing and are working on some other minor issues. We should have an official release out soon, along with Mac once FB OK's it.

As said above you currently need to manually copy the configuration files to their proper place. We'll se if the final Linux release will include a launcher or not. At least we'll release the source codes for SG/Survivor launcher alongside the SG and Claw Linux sources.
Tuomas Närväinen
Alternative Games

dubigrasu

Postby dubigrasu » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:54 pm

Played today this small level/demo.
There is no menu, only a loading screen and then blank. Pressing enter the game continues with a small movie.
Working great with a Logitech Rumblepad 2. I was able to move, grab and throw cars and objects.
I destroyed that final pillar (or whatever it was) and the level ended.
Good sound (nice effects) and no visual artifacts, (although I found myself few times going through walls).
Looking good and promising so far.

Venn

Postby Venn » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:03 am

Played around with the beta and captured a bit of footage http://linuxgamecast.com/2011/04/l-g-c- ... law-beta1/

The game runs without issue. Fantastic work guys!

Cheers,
Venn

P.S.
Is there a way to adjust the brightness/contrast? It seems to ignore anything I place in the options.txt file.

alt_tuomas

Postby alt_tuomas » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:32 pm

There should now be a new Linux version (beta3) available on the Humblebundle download page. It fixes the videos, console and some other minor things. It also includes a "setup.sh" script that copies the necessary files to user directory. You should run it once before first starting the game. We probably won't make a launcher for the Linux version, but we will be releasing our SG launcher source code next week alongside the Claw and Shadowgrounds Linux/OpenGL sources.
Tuomas Närväinen
Alternative Games

atari130xe

Postby atari130xe » Thu May 05, 2011 3:14 am

Ok I have downloaded the Linux version from Humble Bundle. I double click on script setup.sh and nothing happens (It is marked as executable). any idea?

alt_tuomas

Postby alt_tuomas » Thu May 05, 2011 12:48 pm

The setup script is not expected to do anything visible. It just copies the necessary files to ~/.frozenbyte/claw. If you can run the game (claw-bin) and it works then everything is OK. If something is wrong (controls don't work for example) then delete the ~/.frozenbyte/claw directory, re-run setup.sh and try again. The script should work with double click, but if you want to be absolutely certain you can run it from the command line.
Tuomas Närväinen
Alternative Games

nageljj

Postby nageljj » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:09 pm

If you would like to adjust the resolution do the following from the game directory.
mkdir -p ~/.frozenbyte/claw
cp -a config ~/.frozenbyte/claw/
cp -a profiles ~/.frozenbyte/claw/

Return to “Jack Claw Feedback & Development”