Supported compilers and C++ standard version

Jack Claw was in development between 2006-2008 and was released in the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle for the community to play and build upon.
alt_turo

Supported compilers and C++ standard version

Postby alt_turo » Thu May 26, 2011 2:32 pm

Currently we support MSVC 2005 and GCC back to at least 4.2. However there's a new C++ standard out which supports nice features like rvalues, built-in shared pointers, atomics etc. Older compilers do not support these.

Do we want to support old compilers or take full advantage of new ones? How old compilers should we support? Apple does not like new GPLv3 versions of GCC and ships some older version , I'm not sure how old. Clang might not have support for the new standard yet. MSVC only has support in the 2010 version.

Thoughts?
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

Urfoex

Re: Supported compilers and C++ standard version

Postby Urfoex » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:14 pm

I like the new C++0x stuff so I'm definitely for the new ones with support of it.
(Hope that IDEs like KDevelop will have support for it soon ...)
+-----------------------------------------------------------------\
| Debian testing 64Bit on
| * AMD Phenom x4 905e (4x2500Mhz)
| * 6GB Ram
| * AMD/ATI Radeon HD4770 (fglrx)
+-----------------------------------------------------------------/

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:16 pm

alt_turo wrote:Apple does not like new GPLv3 versions of GCC and ships some older version , I'm not sure how old.

Just checked. It's gcc 4.2 only which does not have many C++0x features. If we decide to go 0x then Mac programmers would have to install a newer gcc from source. This would significantly decrease the developer pool since it's not a trivial task.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

arkx

Postby arkx » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:26 pm

alt_turo wrote:Just checked. It's gcc 4.2 only which does not have many C++0x features. If we decide to go 0x then Mac programmers would have to install a newer gcc from source. This would significantly decrease the developer pool since it's not a trivial task.

Clang supports a lot of these new C++0x features (and it's getting better and better with time).

GCC 4.6 is fairly easy to install with the Homebrew package manager (http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/). After installing Homebrew all you need to do is:

Code: Select all

brew install https://raw.github.com/adamv/homebrew-alt/master/duplicates/gcc.rb

I'd look at Clang first as it comes with Xcode 4 by default, but GCC 4.6 is not *that* hard to get either.

Return to “Jack Claw Feedback & Development”