Just some remarks for a possible patch (?)

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
CodSlap (Guest)

Just some remarks for a possible patch (?)

Postby CodSlap (Guest) » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:13 am

Hi,

First of all: Great game, guys. :) It may not be the best game ever, but I'm on my second playthrough and still having a genuine barrel of fun with it. :) And that makes this a very good game in my book.

(Eli helevatan hyvä suoritus. Ei ehkä enää ihan maailmanvalloitusainesta mutta loistava retropläjäys. :))

I'm not sure if you're going to put a patch out, but in case you are, here's couple of glitches, 'mistakes' and things that caught my eye. Be they intentional or unintentional. Fix 'em in the patch if you feel like it. :)

1. Laser Rifle is spelled "Laser Riffle" in the game. :)

2. The Laser Rifle's secondary firemode, (continuos beam) doesn't pierce normal glass windows. Not a big thing but rather amusing. :)

3. The water effect (layer?) covers all weapon effects. You can't shoot bullets or flame over water. (Shooting over a puddle with the flamethrower can be a bit bewildering :))

4. A lot of people seem to be experiencing 'the skitz', meaning that the game just randomly freaks out the camera position, making it point to some direction without any incentive when playing in 'Camera fixed to torso' -mode.. You're probably aware of this, but might be worth looking into. Minimal problem, but still irritating. Especially in a fight x-).

5. What I think the game really needs is one more difficulty level. Even with hard, the game is just... flat out easy. Ok, it keeps the pace entertaining and all and it's still fun, but when you're playing with darkness and green, Alien -looking nasties, you'd expect swarms of them attacking you at the same time. I'd really like to see another 'Insane' -difficulty level with the amount of baddies raised to 180%. :)

6. ...and although I know it goes against the retro -style, couldn't Tyler also open the green supply boxes with the 'Use' -button instead of just shooting them open? Since you can use, why not use it? :p

7. Co-op. Yes, I know it's meant to be played with pads only, but would it be hard to implement a control method where one of the players could use the keyboard & mouse -combination and the rest of the players pads without having to resort to the same targeting reticle for all the players?

8. The Poison Grenades. Just my 0.02, but the gas lingers a bit too long for the weapon to be of use. There are often times where there's only one course to the next waypoint and gassing it sees you waiting quite a while. A rapidly deployed gas which would be twice as effective as the current one and which would dissolve in, say, 7 seconds after release from the container would be a killer. :)

9. A switch which would place the camera behind Tyler's eyes for an FPS -view would be an awesome addition if you could also quickly switch back with the tap of the same button. I know this is a top-down shooter, but it would add to the excitement a new level and as far as immersion goes, this wouldn't hurt one bit.

Tap to FPS : y-axis autoaim=0, tap back to top-down : y-axis autoaim=1. I'd love to see those baddies up close from time to time while I empty one Pulse Rifle clip after another...

(Also, this would make it simpler to make a Space Hulk -mod. :) I want it. You? You know you do. :))We know you made the engine support it, now could you please put it to good use? ;)

10.Some minor grammatical errors here and there which don't really bother anyone.

11. And finally: Everyone would LOVE a physics engine to perfect the game, but we know we're not getting one. Or at least that would be a patch to remember. :D

That's about it for the moment, not much else comes to mind. :) Great game, all the best and wishing many many fan made missions,

-I

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:42 am

all great coments but Ill jsut post my 2 cents worth on this one.

7. Co-op. Yes, I know it's meant to be played with pads only, but would it be hard to implement a control method where one of the players could use the keyboard & mouse -combination and the rest of the players pads without having to resort to the same targeting reticle for all the players?

This is why LAN and INTERNET Coop play is needed. Need I say more about how crappy this is?

- Dark

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:20 am

I'd lke to add one thing

- Survival mode

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:09 pm

There are several places where Wesley can walk in the air and stuff like that.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:23 pm

Cheers, thanks for these. We'll read all issues on the boards and try to fix most of them in a patch. I'll hopefully have some news about the patch next week.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Dark

Postby Dark » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:16 pm

Thanks Joel thats good news, Can you tell us if there are any future plans to try and change Coop and possibly adding Local LAN Play? I passed on the link for this game to the guys over at Alien Swarm. This game is very comparable to theirs which recently underwent a change from the Unreal 2004 engine to use Valves new HL2 sourse. The reception on the board has been interesting many seem interested in your game.

- Rick

CodSlap (Guest)

Postby CodSlap (Guest) » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:54 pm

One more: There's a graphical glitch in "The Mines" -level near the lava pool. There's this point where you have to fix the broken wire, and after you've fixed the wire, it still wiggles around fiercely for a second or so.

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:27 pm

Small errors, but I post them anyway:

1. You can walk through the ISEU Fusion Powerplant -sign right after the entrance in the second level (where Wesley meets the aliens for the first time)

2. In the Water Treatment Facility level there's one dot in the wrong place in Arwyn's dialogue: "Get down here.!"

3. Wesley has always the pistol in his hand while the game runs the engine cut-scenes. I'd like to see the other weapons too.

4. "Disappearing corpses" is written wrong in the launcher utility.

5. The hidden place where laser rifle can be found in Central New Atlantis: there is some strange fellow standing in the shallow water :)

6. In Research part of New Atlantis, Wesley can't walk in the area where the transportation ship landed.

I hope this is not nitpicking. I'll post more if I encounter more flaws :)

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:05 am

I just want the game to stop crashing ALWAYS after a load. =( I just wanna play it.

And, well, an internet cooperative mode would be welcome too.

CodSlap (Guest)

Postby CodSlap (Guest) » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:43 am

I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test this, but the laser beam's secondary firemode doesn't seem to do anything to the green supply boxes. This made me believe that the laser beam might not pierce any of the 'non-flesh' -objects? Enemies go out with a bang, but the beam should slice up some furniture at the same time. Would be a killer. :)

On another note: Strangely, the pistol seems to be the most effective projectile weapon after being upgraded. Second only to the railgun. I'm not saying that you should nerf the pistol, hell no, but you could improve the weapon balance by improving the efficiency of the other weapons. And of course add a few more baddies to compensate this if possible. :p

For example, at least in Hard -mode it takes more or less two full clips of pistol ammunition (24 shots) to shoot down one of the laser cyborg 'spiders' whereas it seems to take about 8 rounds with the shotgun for the same effect. A blast of the shotgun in point blank range should be equivalent to at least 7 bullets, imho.

Just another US 0.02 :)

And we're not nitpicking, we're just trying to make you guys look as good as humanely possible. :)

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:07 am

One thing to the pistol. CodSlap is right. I prefer to shot almost all enemies with the pistol. It seems to me the only weapon that keeps enemies at distance while shooting.

The flamer is very bad to use. Enemies get near you and can hurt you while shooting. :cry:

The grenadelauncher when upgraded with cluster bombs is GREAT. :twisted: This is my favorite weapon thanks to the very good grafic.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:20 pm

An Ultra difficulty - The double amount of alien attacks you, killing you with 2-4 hits :D Only playable in Lan-Coop which aught be the second thing to patch. Lan Games could also be played online, using hamachi :)

Mortimer

Postby Mortimer » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:50 am

As I posted in my Joystick thread, I'd like to see instant joystick aiming in any direction, or at least the option to make the move so fast that it looks instantaneous.

Znake

Re: Just some remarks for a possible patch (?)

Postby Znake » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:11 am

CodSlap (Guest) wrote:7. Co-op. Yes, I know it's meant to be played with pads only, but would it be hard to implement a control method where one of the players could use the keyboard & mouse -combination and the rest of the players pads without having to resort to the same targeting reticle for all the players?

I've played the game with two friends and I was using the keyboard while they had game pads and all of us had our own reticles. Everyone had his own with his own color.

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:03 pm

The Provectus level: When you are entering the Provectus Wesley has to walk a while on the ship. Some aliens are meant to surprise Wesley from the back, but because of some bug they can't walk to the ship top.

Axl

RAM usage

Postby Axl » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:22 am

I have 512 MB RAM...
And game runs fine untill MASSIVE monster attak...
After that game became VERY laggy, EVEN if I've killed everything.

I guess that because of irrational use of RAM.

Axl

Buildings

Postby Axl » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:08 am

Buildings are closed to view untill you entered them.
That's not right! Sometimes I need to look inside through a window or open door.

CodSlap (Guest)

Postby CodSlap (Guest) » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:29 am

Hey, that'd be absolutely friggin' great! At the minimum a line-of-sight system when viewing through windows or doorways if you don't want to reveal the whole window.

(Ok, they're not exactly making the game that much more better, but I'm just hoping that this would become something of a universal engine for retro-game remake -mods. :D

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:25 am

...reveal the whole BUILDING!

'Doh!

Pavok

Postby Pavok » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:19 am

During the video clips the volume of effects turn so loud that it's not possible to hear what the characters are saying. It doesn't bother me that I don't know what they're saying as there are subtitles available, but it's just annoying that all the humming and thundering prevent from hearing the dialogues. And it would be nice if you were able change the speed of mouse , too.
Cygnus.... Vismund Cygnus

Dreamfinder

Postby Dreamfinder » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:21 am

I hope guys at Frozenbyte takes heed of players words and keep patching this game, that's the best way of making this a classic!

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:51 pm

Pavok, I think Hardware 3D sound option makes the humming and thundering louder for some reason. Try to turn the option off since 5.1 setting doesn't work in Shadowgrounds (this is mysterious as well).

Grisu

Postby Grisu » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:08 pm

Another bug:
In the cinematics the hero always! is wearing his pistol as main weapon.
He should show the weapon last used by the player.

CodSlap (Guest)

Postby CodSlap (Guest) » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:46 pm

Grisu wrote:Another bug:
In the cinematics the hero always! is wearing his pistol as main weapon.
He should show the weapon last used by the player.

This is not limited to ShadowGrounds, but happens in almost every game with pre-scripted cinematics. I doubt that fixing this would be ultimately so hard, but it's not just with ShadowGrounds, it's with almost every 3d shooter out there. From the top of my hat come to mind at least both Max Paynes and... well... let's just say that I don't remember having seen any game do this correctly. :)

Just came to mind as well... this would probably be a barrel of laughs if this engine would be used to make a remake of the classic Wolfenstein 3D. :D Also, this is absolutely SCREAMING for a Crusader: No Remorse / No Regret -mod. :p

DECAY

Postby DECAY » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:48 pm

Hey there, I just played the german version of Shadowgrounds and have to say it´s quite a good feeling to experience something similar to the old Crusader-feeling!

A few changes that wouldn´t be that hard to implement but would imoo greatly improve our multiplayer gameplay:

1. It would be good to have the option for more ammo in multiplayer, because we often only had our pistols and couldn´t use the big weapons. That´s more true the more players are participating. They have to share those rare ammo packs. But because we also want to play this as a fun game with up to 4 players we dont´t want to worry THAT much about our ammo. There would be 2 easy solutions: a) Make a switch in multiplayer that activates also ammo-sharing, so every player gets this ammo pack when one picks it up. b) Make a switch in multiplayer that doubles (or triples, or quadruples) the ammo packs in 2-player (3-player, 4-player) mode, so every could specialize in 1 or two weapons and only pick that ammo clips up.
I would prefer the first, because you couldn´t always see what you are picking up.

2. Integrate force feedback into the controls for the joypad-players!

3. In the german-version there are some minor grammatical and word errors in the weapon descritions and terminal/PDA-messages. Wouldn´t that hard to see them all through in a day and correct this (I post this here, because there is no german forum for Shadowgrounds).

4. Laser sounds a bit more like a machine gun than a laser (tshok-tshok-tshok). Perhaps you could implement better laser sound, something more... you know...like...tshiu-tshiu...kinda hard to form words of it :)

Allinall, thanks for this great retro-game. hoping on a lot mods to come (and of course on SG2)!

Return to “Shadowgrounds”