Made a new Frozenbyte Logo, a graphics MOD AND Editor needed

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
dex909

Made a new Frozenbyte Logo, a graphics MOD AND Editor needed

Postby dex909 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:21 pm

Greetings to all fans of Shadowgrounds :)

I bought the game some time ago and did not find any editor - still I was hoping that it might be released AFTER the game (as said by the developers in this forum) but it is not here yet.

Well, to avoid the usual process the developers of EVERY game seem to go through BEFORE releasing ANY editors/tools ("well, the patch comes first.." or "no time for that right now.." or whatever) and get the editor earlier, I thought I would actually MAKE something for the cummunity first :)

And to thank the developers of this fine game I made a shiny new oldskool logo for the nice people at Frozenbyte, Inc. which you can now find HERE

http://t4f.turricanforever.de/fb.zip

as well as a complete little MOD ;)

For the mod I changed roughly 90% of all textures, interface etc. for people who want another design to choose from :) it´s around 75mb and I will post some more about it in a separate thread later - uploading it in the near future if there is even some interest in this ;)

I hope the developers will now see that people DO care about modding this perfect game and my request is: PLEASE release the editor NOW. It´s the perfect top-down action game, I haven´t had that much fun since Alien Breed, Chaos Engine and the old Amiga days ;) An editor is a MUST and would enhance the lifetime of this game to ETERNITY - and I do certainly NOT want to wait until christmas for this ;)

Thank You very much in advance.
Last edited by dex909 on Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Misacorp

Postby Misacorp » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:42 pm

Sounds cool, but I think the game SHOULD be released in every other country before any editors and so on. It would be nice though, all the mods and stuff.

dex909

Postby dex909 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:53 pm

Hello! (I´m glad there is at least some interest ;)) Well, that was the thing I would like to "avoid" actually ;) It will take some time until the game is released in all countries. I hope the developers will release the editor sooner - maybe in beta-form first? Of course noone would need any support nor would any developer give any support to an editor, so an unsopported beta-version would be perfectly fine! :)

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:43 am

as sone as i can im gonna try i see if i can make a little mod. wount be big, since i dont have much programing skill :wink:
Game of the year 2006 :D

dex909

Postby dex909 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:28 am

Do people from Frozenbyte check these forums from time to time?

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:27 am

They do.

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:28 pm

Yes we do. :)

Although I cannot give you any proper answer regarding the release of the editor.

Personally, I don't see much problem with the editor and other tools being released...

Joel might be able to give you some real answer, although he is probably very busy with all the business things at the moment. (So don't expect an answer very quickly.)

dex909

Postby dex909 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:01 pm

HELLO to someone at Frozenbyte finally =)

Well I know you have a hard job and business to do - but that´s what you hear from every developer :( Actually I was hoping that you won´t keep me hanging here waiting so long, maybe Joel might pluck the courage and just release the editor? I would also be glad to do some beta-testing if this means I can finally try the editor and you guys are unsure if to release it or not! And certainly I do not think an editor-release right now would harm anything or anyone, I´d rather hear a logical statement why things like this ALWAYS take so long :(

By the way - I made a complete game-design once with little to none tools and a -buggy and instable- level-editor and it still worked out very nice! (just see the link to "T4 Funeral" in my signature) so the editor can have bugs and may even be not stable at all (like the SiegeEditor for Dungeon Siege), don´t worry just release it! =)

PS. did you see the logo?

Matti

Postby Matti » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:02 pm

You can extract individual folders from data1.fbz (zip file in disguise)
to your \shadowgrounds\data folder.
The game will read them from there instead of the big archive.
Items, Parts and Scripts might interest you.
Have a look at the files and edit away, but be sure to read the developers comments.

I don't have much of interest to study mentioned files, but if someone else is, go ahead, make notes and make them public. I welcome instructions like how to get first person mode on, how to create own maps, how to create own monsters and other that kind of stuff. Someone with too much time (not me though :P ) might have some use for those instructions in order to create mods. Instructions don't need come from dev team, one hacker with enough interest, time and hands can do it. Maybe he could even create graphical editor for level design and/or other things. Question is, is said hacker out there playing this game? Or is he too busy modding other games?

dex909

Postby dex909 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:22 pm

Or might the Devs just release their level editor? :) Also - you can edit pretty much everything without even bothering the developers for tools EXCEPT THE LEVELS, that´s the only thing that won´t be doable without a proper editor. So please..

Matti

Postby Matti » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:24 pm

There are number of games with official level/map editors but same games got unofficial editors to do same things. So hackers out there, get to work! :twisted:

dex909

Postby dex909 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:35 pm

The easiest and FASTEST way would be if the developers release it, well but if someone can make an editor any faster - go for it. But my hope is that the devs release it.

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:02 pm

Now first, about the issue of releasing the level editor... (Note, the following is totally unofficial, just my personal response to this issue)

I´d rather hear a logical statement why things like this ALWAYS take so long

The reason why that decision will take at least a few days is quite simple... I cannot make such decisions - Joel and some other business/management guys are needed for that. And it just so happens, that a conference called GDC is going on at the moment... So the people to make the call about the release of the editor, are simply not here right now. :)

I'm sure that once they get back here, we'll be discussing about the release of the editor.

PS. did you see the logo?

Yes, it looked cool. ;)

Instructions don't need come from dev team, one hacker with enough interest, time and hands can do it.

I'd be glad to give out some instructions about how to mod the game, but being an employee at Frozenbyte, I think once again it's one of those things that are more of less decisions to be made by Frozenbyte and not by me personally. I can't just go telling about how to hack all the little things in shadowgrounds unless I have the permission to do that. :)

So, who knows, maybe the editor and tools will be released... Let's hope for the best. But be aware that there may be several related issues (like the release time of the game in some regions) that may effect the time of the possible editor release, etc.

Now, I've pretty much said all that I can say about this thing. We'll just have to wait patiently and see what the official response to the editor release will be.

dex909

Postby dex909 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:12 pm

At first - thanks for viewing the logo and actually a LOGICAL statement, yay! ;)

But be aware that there may be several related issues (like the release
time of the game in some regions) that may effect the time of the possible editor release, etc.

Well, that is what I was afraid of - the part with "release time of the game in some regions.." :( I can perfectly understand your reasons, still I will have to move on to other things since I can´t stand more weeks of wait. In several days my time will start to be "short" again and I simply hoped to lay my fingers on an editor before that. But I won´t give up hope since there is some time left and maybe something speeds up the process and it will be out earlier than expected ;) If it only takes a few days as you said it might - keep us informed about the process (please)!! I check these forums every 10 minutes right now ;)
You guys made a terrific game and as I said - it will be perfect once the editor is out.

Return to “Shadowgrounds”