New MOD "Alien Breed III Shadowgrounds" ;)

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.

New MOD "Alien Breed III Shadowgrounds" ;)

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:15 am

Here is the mod I have been working on (finished but not available for download since I am getting some things done):

Alien Breed III Shadowgrounds

It´s a graphical mod/enhancement.
I tried to imagine how an Alien Breed III would actually look like (after Alien Breed 3D II no AB game came out except for a screenshot of a 3D remake for PS2 which seems to be canceled last year)
When I first saw Shadowgrounds I recognized that this is as near as we can possibly get to a new Breed-like game and I just altered the menus, icons, terminals etc. to look more like Alien Breed, as well as a new oldskool titlescreen and also changes to 90% of all textures used.

I gave textures, skins and modeltextures a fake bumpmap effect which also made them a slight tone darker (if you do not want the texture-replacement I might release a GUI-only version with just the new interface)

Screenshots:
http://dex909.100free.com/level2.jpg
http://dex909.100free.com/GUI.jpg
http://dex909.100free.com/features.jpg
http://dex909.100free.com/dialogue.jpg

and finally the feature-list so far:

##############-
(A mod by Dex for Frozenbyte's Shadowgrounds)

- screenshots were taken from the German DEMO to avoid ANY spoilers
- fixed Mousecursor (removed slight visible black line glitch right from the arrow)
- changed the eye-textures for every character to give them a more fotorealistic look
- added a new titlescreen and logo to look like a fake Alien Breed III
- added a complete new ingame-GUI for ammo, health, weapon-icons and all other indicators to look more like a (fake) Alien Breed III
- changed all ingame terminal-graphics as well as upgradescreen, logscreen and mapscreen etc. to look more like a (fake) Alien Breed III
- recolored some of the cursors
- recolored the blue fonts to white
- added a new title music (Alien Breed Amiga remix by "DeAdLy cOoKiE")
- added a new music for the musichall in New Atlantis ("AmigaKrieger3000" by myself)
- changed the rain effect script to use a new "lines2.tga", rain is now more realistic
- reworked 90% of all textures the game uses (this includes the textures that can be found in the "Models" folder, all skins, weapontextures and so on)
to make the game art look more used and dark and to add a fake bumpmapping effect (they may appear to be less sharp in some occassions which is actually not the case)
- made a new logo for Frozenbyte, Inc ;) not ingame yet..

Dex, 2005

Shadowgrounds copyright © 2005 Frozenbyte, Inc.

Alien Breed 1991 Team 17 All rights reserved

dex909

Postby dex909 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:36 am

Sorry, I was not logged in, can any admin please remove the first post and replace it with the following as the links for the pictures have updated? Thanks!!

Here is the mod I have been working on (finished but not available for download since I am getting some things done):

It´s a graphical mod/enhancement.
I tried to imagine how an Alien Breed III would actually look like (after Alien Breed 3D II no AB game came out except for a screenshot of a 3D remake for PS2 which seems to be canceled last year)
When I first saw Shadowgrounds I recognized that this is as near as we can possibly get to a new Breed-like game and I just altered the menus, icons, terminals etc. to look more like Alien Breed, as well as a new oldskool titlescreen and also changes to 90% of all textures used.

I gave textures, skins and modeltextures a fake bumpmap effect which also made them a slight tone darker (if you do not want the texture-replacement I might release a GUI-only version with just the new interface)

Screenshots:
http://t4f.turricanforever.de/level2.jpg
http://t4f.turricanforever.de/GUI.jpg
http://t4f.turricanforever.de/features.jpg
http://t4f.turricanforever.de/dialogue.jpg

and finally the feature-list so far:

##############-
(A mod by Dex for Frozenbyte's Shadowgrounds)

- screenshots were taken from the German DEMO to avoid ANY spoilers
- fixed Mousecursor (removed slight visible black line glitch right from the arrow)
- changed the eye-textures for every character to give them a more fotorealistic look
- added a new titlescreen and logo to look like a fake Alien Breed III
- added a complete new ingame-GUI for ammo, health, weapon-icons and all other indicators to look more like a (fake) Alien Breed III
- changed all ingame terminal-graphics as well as upgradescreen, logscreen and mapscreen etc. to look more like a (fake) Alien Breed III
- recolored some of the cursors
- recolored the blue fonts to white
- added a new title music (Alien Breed Amiga remix by "DeAdLy cOoKiE")
- added a new music for the musichall in New Atlantis ("AmigaKrieger3000" by myself)
- changed the rain effect script to use a new "lines2.tga", rain is now more realistic
- reworked 90% of all textures the game uses (this includes the textures that can be found in the "Models" folder, all skins, weapontextures and so on)
to make the game art look more used and dark and to add a fake bumpmapping effect (they may appear to be less sharp in some occassions which is actually not the case)
- made a new logo for Frozenbyte, Inc. (not ingame yet..)

Dex, 2005

Shadowgrounds copyright © 2005 Frozenbyte, Inc.

Alien Breed 1991 Team 17 All rights reserved
Last edited by dex909 on Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:40 am

sounds sweet. but the pics aint working
Game of the year 2006 :D

dex909

Postby dex909 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:45 am

Now they are working, sorry for the inconvenience ;)

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:21 am

so far so good. this is gonne be intersting to follow :D

Znake

Postby Znake » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:05 pm

One question: Have you considered how that would/could work with multiplayer? I personally would be interested in getting a new hud at least for multiplayer. The normal hud is too small IMO.

dex909

Postby dex909 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:28 pm

Actually I do not want to change any other portions than those named in the feature list but I thought about changing the multiplayer hud, too.
I did not change the mp hud since it is intended to be smaller. It might be possible to make it larger when using a larger image for the hud but so far I did not use any custom image sizes. I will let you know if it is possible.

Any opionions about the screenshots can be posted here :) As I said the mod is ready and I will release it if there is enough interest. Well, maybe this mostly applies to Alien Breed fans ;)

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:59 pm

hell, im a fan of alien breed :D

dex909

Postby dex909 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:25 am

Ah, I knew some fans might eventually find this game :)

Updates: I changed the Alien Mothership textures to have some more of an "Alien" look (the old Amiga games used artwork inspired by the movie "Alien" and "Alien 2") Now the ship looks darker and more dangerous.

BUT the aliens of "Alien Breed" did actually NOT try to be the same as the "movie aliens" so I think it´s perfectly fine to let the aliens in the game as they are. I just added a fake bumpmap effect to them as well and that´s it.

Furthermore I changed the blood from aliens into green acid while keeping the "human" bloodmarks scattered around the colony red. I added "acid" textures and changed the scripts the game uses for blooddecals and bloodparticles for every monster (quite a bit of work). So you now have bloody corpses and decals but acid-blood and bloodspray from any monster in the game.
Alien Breed itself did not have bleeding enemies but I thought an alien creature shouldn´t have red blood.

Matti

Postby Matti » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:20 pm

When you get done whole new campaign with new maps, weapons, enemies, dialog etc. I'm game. Maybe total remake of the original Alien Breed: maps and other stuff with Shadowgrounds engine.

To give you an example, there is mod for Doom 3 called Classic Doom 3. It plays mostly same like the first Doom (imp's fireballs fly straight line, no need to change clips etc.) and map design is very identical but on Doom 3 graphics engine and it is GREAT!

dex909

Postby dex909 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:56 pm

Man now we´re talking :) Sure I planned nearly EXACTLY this - but at first I thought as Shadowgrounds is already Alien Breed "III" for me, I´m perfectly fine with all the new levels and I enhanced just the graphics to look as they might in a real sequel of Alien Breed.

I don´t know if it will be me who will remake all the Alien Breed levels but for my private use I plan to rework the games "Alien Breed" and "Alien Breed II The Horror Continues" (storywise and inspired levels but maybe not EXACTLY the same leveldesign). I don´t know if I will release this for the public.
But with my MOD and a real LEVEL EDITOR anyone can start "remaking" the whole Alien Breed of course :) With the new interface and textures it will look like Alien Breed brought to the 21th century ;)

I just finished the new acid blood and I will release the download soon. (might be around 65mb only now)

dex909

Postby dex909 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:20 am

I finished my alternative Alien textures - these will replace the alien textures in the late levels of Shadowgrounds. Here is an example:

http://t4f.turricanforever.de/alientest.jpg

CodSlap (Guest)

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:20 am

Lookin' Good! O_o

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:00 pm

Ok, the management is back from the GC (not GDC as I earlier mentioned... all these abbreviations got mixed up in my head.) ;)

Anyway, They will probably be giving out some detailed info about the possible editor release at some time (hopefully soon, although they may be quite busy at the moment).

And as I don't want to go and make any unofficial announcements and I don't want to say anything that is not absolutely sure yet, so I'll just say that: "Stay tuned... There may be some interesting news coming up soon." ;)

dex909

Postby dex909 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:39 pm

We already check the forum PERMANENTLY. Does "some info" mean that we will wait DAYS and DAYS and then maybe get an info IF or WHEN the editor will come out? I hoped we wait a little longer and finally get the EDITOR. Just release it please :( It´s such a great game.

Grisu

Postby Grisu » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:38 pm

Thanks for the info fb_jpk.

It's nice to see that the voices here get heard.

@Dex: Just relax a bit.
I'm sure they will tell as about the editor as soon as possible... :)

Magisoft

Postby Magisoft » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:42 pm

Wow. That mod looks really good. I can't wait level editor (if it will be published).
Be rich. Be hard. Be Richard.
http://www.suomipelit.com

Icing

Postby Icing » Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:03 pm

I hope it really does come out sooner or later. The beauty of Shadowgrounds is in its simple yet great gameplay, and games like this are just screaming for even a simple editor to make a little alien massacre of our own...

You know, always playing games like this reminds me of the old classics Space Crusade and Space Hulk, you know, the games where you have a group of spacemarines in the bowels of an ancient ship taken over by aliens? Oh how I would love to have the ability to make simple missions like in those games, the kind of "hold this area for XX time against the ever increasing enemy hordes" and so on... Surely the reason for why I loved the base defending mission in Shadowgrounds so much :) !
"Enemy of my enemy is my friend"

Matti

Postby Matti » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:44 pm

Warhammer 40k mod? Great idea! Get on it! :)

What else... Doom mod anyone? :lol:

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:28 am

Damn, that sure is a alien feel you got going. keep up the good work.

think you can add the sound the motion sensor makes from the movie into the game? that would kill for sure :P

dex909

Postby dex909 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:07 am

Ah, you mean an Alien MOVIE mod.. mmh.. well, right now I tried to make it like Alien BREED, which is not EXACTLY like the Alien movie. I imagine what you ´d like would be a complete "Aliens" style mod with the original motion tracker sounds etc. :) Well, that´s surely doable, but at the moment I am out of time. If you´d like to try it yourself, do the following to make it "professional":

- to get the sounds: download a DEMO of the game "Alien vs. Predator 2", try to find the sound for the motion tracker AND the pulse rifle in the game´s archives (should be easy to unpack via various tools)

- to get the skins right: depends on what you want to do, if you want a movie-like Alien, try to use skins from various other Alien mods/games or make it yourself and be inspired by the work of H.R. Giger :)

When the tools are out, I might think about doing an extreme movie-near "Aliens" level, with some scenes from the movie etc. but first I want to do Alien Breed levels and stuff you know.. ;)

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:17 am

thanks for the tip. I might do that :D

CodSlap

Postby CodSlap » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:30 pm

Icing: I've said it before and I'll say it again: ShadowGrounds' engine is a total killer for a Space Hulk -total conversion. You have the FPS -view and you can easily have the bird's eye view. And you have some built in RTS -modes as well, so this could even be made to happen. :) Clawing down some Genestealers would be a beautiful trip down memory lane...

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:32 pm

If the editor is release, who knows what will spun out? You could probably even use the engine to create a working 3d environment, object and enemies for NetHack. :D

dex909

Postby dex909 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:10 pm

You are all perfectly right - now go for it and write your mail to Frozenbyte since the release is still not out - I hope they didn´t FORGET it.

Return to “Shadowgrounds”