I hate the pad controls..

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
Morrin

I hate the pad controls..

Postby Morrin » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:21 pm

We played the game throught with my brother as co-op but I have to say that I never felt comfortable with the controls. In nutshell, it was horrible.

In shadowgrounds, when you move your rudder to left (or whatever that is called, in finnish it's tatti), the character doesnt actually turn the amount of time you hold left but actually turn towards the left direction... argh it's difficult to explain this. I would like it to be so, that when you aim left, the character turns to left as long as you don't aim to left anymore (just like in first person shooters and such).

In most of the time I found myself shooting walls and other non-moving objects. Only proper way to hit monsters was to lock the aim to the direction of the monster and move yourself so that the crosshair aims the monster..

Or am I missing something, some option?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:16 pm

You're talking about the original Shadowgrounds, right? Just confirming...

I'm not totally sure I understand how you'd like it to be. You can just explain it in Finnish if you want to.

It's a bit cumbersome for sure so any suggestions are welcome, although I won't promise we'll do them for sure.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

bman654

Postby bman654 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:37 pm

I *think* what he means is:

right now your character aims in the direction you press the joystick. So if you press DOWN, your character aims down. If you press LEFT your character aims left etc. Kinda like that old game robotron.

What he WANTS: make it so when you press LEFT, your character starts turning counter-clockwise until you stop pressing left. When you press RIGHT, yoru character starts turning clockwise until you let go. I guess pressing up/down do nothing. This would be like the controls someone would have if they were playing a FPS game like Halo for example.

I can't say *I'd* like to play that way. It may take a little getting used to, but once you do, the current gamepad control scheme seems more precise.

Morrin

Postby Morrin » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:04 pm

bman654 wrote:I *think* what he means is:

right now your character aims in the direction you press the joystick. So if you press DOWN, your character aims down. If you press LEFT your character aims left etc. Kinda like that old game robotron.

What he WANTS: make it so when you press LEFT, your character starts turning counter-clockwise until you stop pressing left. When you press RIGHT, yoru character starts turning clockwise until you let go. I guess pressing up/down do nothing. This would be like the controls someone would have if they were playing a FPS game like Halo for example.

I can't say *I'd* like to play that way. It may take a little getting used to, but once you do, the current gamepad control scheme seems more precise.

Exactly, that's how I meant (and Joel, yes I mean the first SG).
Im not completely sure how it would work ofcourse, but it could be a good idea to test it.

And good reference with the robotron! What a great game (althought in robotron the character shoots to the direction you choose instead of turning). :)

Charliebrownau

Re: I hate the pad controls..

Postby Charliebrownau » Fri May 16, 2008 10:51 am

Personaly I HATE joypad and joystick for FPS , RTS , RPG games

I havent tired using a joypad on this game yet , but so far the
Mouse and Keyboard seem fine and for the control speed you need
in some pads using the joypad would limit the user
(Thus reason why a LOT of gamers will never use a PS2/PS3/Wii/Xbox1/xbox360
to play FPS/RTS/RPG joypad is TOO limiting and slow compared to K & M )

It was good to hear the exp pack supported TWO keyboards and mice
WHY DONT MORE GAMES DO THIS for same pc gaming/spilt screen gaming.

Dark

Re: I hate the pad controls..

Postby Dark » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:45 am

I think what hes really saying here is that had you guys made Coop the correct way it should have been made. he wouldnt be fighting with some lame controller and would be using a nice smooth mouse and keyboard to control his charater. But we all know the story behind this one. you guys dropped the ball on giving us a half baked Coop instead of a full blown local Lan Coop. Sorry Joel, but truth is truth here. I love the game but you guys really should have made Coop for a local lan instead of everyone bunching around a small computer screen. I know this subject has been beaten to death but how about the next version you guys make please add local lan for the coop?

Return to “Shadowgrounds”