Unable to run on Win7

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
Kein

Unable to run on Win7

Postby Kein » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:16 pm

Decided to re-download to idle for cards and, hm, Shadowgrounds does not want to start properly. I can see Shadowgrounds.exe in the process list and rundll32.exe as daughter process. The latter eats 100% of my cpu on all cores and that is pretty much it. Termination of rundll32.exe kills Shadowgrounds.exe as well.

Here is the threads data for rundll32.exe:

As you can see gameux.dll occupies most of the CPU cycles. Here is the what gameux.dll is:

Code: Select all

c:\Windows\System32\gameux.dll
on Microsoft Windows Seven x64 Professional Edition Version 6.1 (build 7601) Service pack 1

File Version Information :

Version language : English (United States)
      CompanyName   : Microsoft Corporation
      FileDescription   : Games Explorer
      FileVersion   : 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
      InternalName   : gameux.dll
      LegalCopyright   : © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
      OriginalFilename   : gameux.dll.mui
      ProductName   : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
      ProductVersion   : 6.1.7600.16385

Creation Date   : 02/05/2013  00:09:05
Last Modif. Date   : 20/11/2010  05:26:26
Last Access Date   : 02/05/2013  00:09:05
FileSize   : 2746880 bytes ( 2682.500 KB,  2.620 MB )
FileVersionInfoSize   : 1820 bytes 
File type   : Dynamic Link Library (0x2)
Target OS   : Win32 API (Windows NT) (0x40004)
File/Product version   : 6.1.7601.17514 / 6.1.7601.17514
Language    : English (United States) (0x409)
Character Set   : 1200 (ANSI - Unicode (BMP of ISO 10646)) (0x4B0)

Build Information :
Debug Version   : no
Patched Version   : no
Prerelease Version   : no
Private Version   : no
Special Build   : no

Any ideas?

Shadowgrounds: Survivor works fine.

Specs:
Win7_SP1x64
GTX670
Intel i7 3770k

RiikkaFB

Re: Unable to run on Win7

Postby RiikkaFB » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:04 am

This sounded odd so I searched around google a bit, and I ended up in this thread. It sounds like it might be caused by a general issue with gameux.dll not finding an internet connection. Were you connected to the internet when you tried to open Shadowgrounds?

There's a couple of comments which say that you can get around this by shutting down the process and relaunching, but I guess you already tried that?

Next possible thing to try out is the comment by qwadrwr in that thread:

FWIW, I think I got a better solution than deleting the dll files, pulled from another forum and it seems to work fine at first glance, cmd-shell in administrator mode is required:

regsvr32 -u c:\windows\system32\gameux.dll

and for 64-bit additionally

regsvr32 -u c:\windows\SysWOW64\gameux.dll

Of course game explorer is not working any further after unregistering the corresponding dll. Good thing is, if you ever feel to punish yourself again, you can restore the original settings:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\gameux.dll

and for 64-bit additionally

regsvr32 c:\windows\SysWOW64\gameux.dll

The command "regsvr32 -u" pretty much causes your windows to ignore the whole .dll so as he said, it is possible that doing it causes some other issues. If you do this, you should indeed remember to reset it after you're done with Shadowgrounds.

I also found some other threads about rundll32.exe hogging a big part of CPU usage in general. Here's an article quickly explaining what it is. Multiple threads, like this one, simply say that the original poster should check their PC with different anti-malware programs. This is one of the threads where people pretty much tell the person with the issue to reinstall windows to fix it. But if you have no issues with rundll32.exe in other than Shadowgrounds, I think your problem is elsewhere.

In the end I'm just doing some wild guessing here, as we are unable to reproduce your issue here at the office. I hope you can get it to work with this. Let me know how it goes!

Kein

Postby Kein » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:04 pm

Riikka
It sounds like it might be caused by a general issue with gameux.dll not finding an internet connection.

Hmm, now that you mentioned it - I realized I totally forgot to check my personal firewall activity. You were right, game Explorer was requesting internet access via rundll process. Unblocking it solved the issues with enormous CPU load (apparently it was sending too many requests at once and wasn't really happy with result), however I still can't start the game, process shuts itself down after a while with message "Failed to find Steam".

But that is not an issue, I just suspended it right after the start and I'm getting card drops. Thanks for the tip, I probably just could google it myself, haha.

RiikkaFB

Postby RiikkaFB » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:47 am

Kein wrote:Riikka
It sounds like it might be caused by a general issue with gameux.dll not finding an internet connection.

Hmm, now that you mentioned it - I realized I totally forgot to check my personal firewall activity. You were right, game Explorer was requesting internet access via rundll process. Unblocking it solved the issues with enormous CPU load (apparently it was sending too many requests at once and wasn't really happy with result), however I still can't start the game, process shuts itself down after a while with message "Failed to find Steam".

But that is not an issue, I just suspended it right after the start and I'm getting card drops. Thanks for the tip, I probably just could google it myself, haha.

Nice to know you got it working - enough to get card drops anyway. : ) I did a quick search on the "Failed to find Steam" issue anyway and found this which looks like it might help. Just in case you do decide you want to play the game anyway, or if this helps someone else. : ) Cheers!

Return to “Shadowgrounds”