Errors & Comments and Little WTH?

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
Mr. ShadowStealer

Errors & Comments and Little WTH?

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:44 pm

All righty. First of all I haven't finished the game yet. I'm in that level where you are in that dang big ship and where you have to open the door from the inside.

And I got few errors in the game on those what have been meantoned here before. And those are (there can be still more but I don't remember them anymore.): First one is when I'm in that level where I have to connect radar's wires and then go to rescue Dr. Trevor. AND now comes the error. On the text what that woman says (don't remember her name right now) to me reads following: ...must be able to... and what she says: ... should be able to... So there's the first error.

And second comes when I'm in that dang big ship and I'm right in front of that big door what I have to open. Well lets take few steps to the left if you are standing towards the door. Let's go around the corner where is that big debris expanding the corner little bit. Now If I go behind that debris and stay next to the wall the enemy's can shoot through the wall. This would be easier to explane at picture but I didn't understand to take a picture out of that and now it would be handy. But still the bullets can go through that corner wall as the gas can also go through it too. But I can't go throught it.

And the last error. When I'm in that level where I have to rescue civilians and tell orders to soldiers there's one civilian whom picture is a black guy but who is white. I think I don't remember anymore but just in case if there's an error too.

And in the same level I rescued a ghost. The chat monitor appeared and the guy may said like: "Thank you for saving my life. I won't never forget this." But I didn't find the guy at all and I didn't see him even to run away or anything. So check these things if you have time.

And also in the same level I have some serious fpr problems. When I go near to the water what is there my fps drops from 40 to 3 or 2 but it happens only in some places where is water. But still it drops very strongly.

And I noticed that when I'm closing Map or Upgrades or Logs window and move at the same time I may get permanent fps to 3 or 2 if I don't again open a window and then close it without moving. This doesn't happen always but if I remembe again right fps drops very strongly everytime when I'm closing any of those windows but it raises back up after a second or two when the window has faided off.

And I have unoffical... uummm... is it 1.01 patch? Well what ever. There is still few errors but those doesn't bother my game experience.

And here's one suggestion: Could you add an option to free camera mode so that there would be a slider for the cameras rolling function. When the slider is at zero it works as same as normally in the free camera mode but when you set it little bit higher camera starts to roll when the mouse is behind the character and when the slider is moved more to the right the camera's turning area would go smaller and smaller and now the camera would start to turn when the mouse is moved to next to the character and finally when the slider is at maximum state the camera would be as same as in the no-free camera mode but y axis wouldn't be locked.

I'll use my only picture for this so if you don't want to see the WHAT THE HECK thing yet don't click these links.

So this is the normal situation when the camera is in the free camera mode. And the slider isn't activated. You can move your cursor around as you want but when it hits to the blue line camera starts to rotate around the character instead of cursor's movement.Image

Now when we have the slider on and it is in its minimum state the area is almost same but in the behind of the character comes also that camera rotating area and when mouse cursor hits to this area, what is directly behind the character, camera starts to rotate when you are moving your mouse towards this area.Image

When the slider is moved towards higher values the area goes bigger and mouse's free moving area goes smaller. As you can see now the screen starts to rotate almost when the mouse is next to the character.Image

This is another screen when the slider is moved little more towards the maximum state. The cursor's free moving area is again little more smaller. Image

And this would be the situation when the slider is in its maximum state and so the camera starts to rotate by same way as it does do when the camera isn't in the free camera mode BUT the y-axis wouldn't be locked. So you could aim in the y-axis to everything but x-axis would rotate whole camera. Image

So say something about this suggestion.

And at last to comments and to that What The Heck thing.

First of all I though this game was short because I heard that there is 12 levels or so but now when I have started to play it, it's DANG long I played it for 6 hours and I don't think I'm not even in the middle way to finish this game. And also it looks very nice on high settings if I just turn disappering corpses off and take off that high graphic movies or I will have dia show what refreshes every 2 seconds.

The game also looks very nice and I noticed that there is well processed sound enviroment, for example when you are in the second level where yoo have to go through that water refreshing area or what it was. Well anyway when the woman said "Don't freak out..." It reverberated very well from the water and sounded for real like I would have been near the big water masses. And when I moved to the area where are those smaller water pools the reverberation changed.

But though the sound enviroment is nice the speakers are quite... depressed. They don't have emotions in their speak. But that hasn't bothered me tough it would be nice add to the speak outs.

And now to the that What The Heck thing.

So what The HECK does a huge marijuana leaf do in the nuclear missile silo or where ever I was but if I again remember right it was called as some sort of silo and it was round from the center and it got many round floors where were huge round hole in the middle of the rooms.

Or is this one of those few secrets what game makers drop in their levels for fun and because of that players could get something nice like a bonus or two?

Edit: And one more thing. When I played the game and then tried my EAX Control Panel's Reverb effects they didn't work. This same error came when I played EVE-online. And I hate that when my reverb effects are gone. Music doesn't sound as good as by echo effects. So what may cause this corrupting?

Is it because of I have Creative's Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 soundcard and that is very old or is it because of setting where I turned game's EAX effects on? Or does my EAX Control Panel somehow corrupt itself if some other program is using EAX too?

And last thing. I love that music what is played in the disco. It is just SOO super cool and stylish and I just love it. =) :mrgreen:

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:19 am

Thanks for the comments :)

Quickly the bugs first:

Script dialogues may have some diffrence with the text we haven't noticed.

The enemies shooting thru walls is indeed a nasty bug which may occur in a few certain places. The enemies itself work correctly but the collision models of the maps might have holes or misplacing in very rare situations.

The civilians in New Atlantis first part are a mystery to us too. 98% of the time they work perfectly well but those 2% they always invent a new way to do something totally wrong. Luckily they have never crashed or jammed the mission, so lets just pretend they try to be funny :D. Of course the color mismatch of their faces is our failure which we did not notest in the testing phase.

Maybe our programmers can answer to the rest of technical problems.

And now to the intresting what the heck -answer:

The plant is not marijuana (two more leaves than marijuana plant and somehow diffrent looks), but it's true it might look a bit like marijuana. It was never intended to be marijuana and I think there are plenty of plants who have similar looks :). Our company is strickly against drugs.

However it's true that the plant is an (part of) easter egg. Now try to discover the other half :wink:

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:53 am

Whee I'll get an easter egg, I'll get an easter egg. (As soon as I found the other half. :P)

Matti

Postby Matti » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:10 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:Script dialogues may have some diffrence with the text we haven't noticed.

It isn't that bad. I have seen way worse. Example? Crusader: No Remorse. Had to turn subtitles off :P

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:10 am

Concerning the camera modes...

I can't promise any new functionality to the camera (in fact, I think it is quite unlikely that the camera would be changed much, other that maybe doing some bug fixes to it if some bugs were found).

But, there are actually a few more camera options than those presented in the options menu... These camera options can be changed from the game console (which opens by pressing F8 ) or by modifying the "Config/options.txt" file.

The following options are more or less advanced stuff, the defaults are the best choices for most players, so most players will never have to think about these...

The following options affect the camera's behaviour in the free camera mode.

camera_rotation_fade_end - Set the screen height for the cursor (between 0-768), below which the camera rotatation will never occur.
camera_rotation_fade_start - Set the screen height for the cursor, above which the camera rotation will always occur when the cursor is further from screen center than the option "camera_rotation_safe".
camera_rotation_safe - Set the "safe area" (treshold) near the center of the screen, where the cursor will not cause the camera to rotate. (between 0-512)
camera_rotation_spring - Set the speed at which the cursor will be restored toward the center of the screen. (sensible values between 0-9)
camera_rotation_strength - Set the speed at which the camera will rotate. (sensible values between 0-3)

When using the console to change these values, you should start the console command line with a slash followed by the option and after that followed by a space and the preferred value.

For example:

Code: Select all

/camera_rotation_spring 0

Would set the cursor never to return toward screen center.

Note 1, You can just type the beginning of the option ("/camera_rotation" for example) and then press tab to autocomplete and to see the current values.

Note 2, If you go to the options menu of the game, the camera sliders there may override some of the manual settings that you have made from the console / options.txt.

Note 3, If you are using a screen resolution over 1024x768, some unusual "extreme" settings may not work properly.

Some more examples... (in the syntax used in options.txt, when used via console, add the slash in front and remove the equal sign.)

Example 1, free camera mode that is somewhat similar to locked camera mode, but a bit smoother and allows the cursor to move up and down. (this one will not work properly with resolutions over 1024x768)

camera_rotation_fade_end = 768
camera_rotation_fade_start = 384
camera_rotation_safe = 1
camera_rotation_spring = 6
camera_rotation_strength = 2

Example 2, a pretty much "standard" free camera mode.

camera_rotation_fade_start = 768
camera_rotation_safe = 300
camera_rotation_spring = 1.4
camera_rotation_strength = 0.7

Example 3, free camera without any rotation caused by the cursor. You can still hold down the camera rotation button (probably alt) to rotate the camera with your mouse.

camera_rotation_fade_start = 768
camera_rotation_safe = 512
camera_rotation_spring = 0
camera_rotation_strength = 0

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:57 am

Whee. :D Thanks I'll try those maybe on weekend if I have time.

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:14 pm

Weird. Yesterday I quickly played one map through and before playing I unchecked the Use EAX box and quess what.

Now my Reverb effects work again in my EAX Control Panel. So I think this "corrupting" occures then when something else is using EAX effects too and the "something else" doesn't reset its EAX settings when it is closed. Or something like that.

soyek

Postby soyek » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:25 am

I know that it's not exactly a bug, but it doesn't look good while it's not hard to fix, I think.
In the 5th level called "New Atlantis: Centrum" there is a moment when this big monster smashes the window and attack. But when you decide to kill him from that place:
than if you later go through, big creature will rise from the dead and smash that window, but... it's the end. It gets stunned and waits for nothing:
You can't kill him second time, because it's already a zombie, so you have to leave it alone and keep going. It's not as big bug as these showed by other SG's fans, but it's the first I've already revealed.
Next patch could fix it up.

BTW: Thanks for such a nice game. Expension pack will be a good idea I think, despite of upcoming Official Level Editor, because You could add some new weapons (more tactical traps will be the best addon, and maybe the bright light flares) and maybe You could give us the most wanted on-line or at least LAN mode.

And more advertisement in European countries with "one-time-release" would be greatful.

Thanks for SG one more time.
LAN and on-line play modes would make SG much more attractive and would bring players much more fun. You have to remember this, when You'll be working on next title :)

The key of SG's success is its internal simplicity and graceful predictability.

CodSlap

Postby CodSlap » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Just wanted to throw a link at Mr Shadowstealer. Try the Raving King Remix of the disco beat, it's even better than the original when you get used to the beat:

http://www.aripulkkinen.com/index.php?p ... =rtzonking

And just wanted to say that this game is still absolutely screaming for a Space Hulk total conversion. :D I just visited the Deathwing Campaign again at Beyond The Grave [=Dosbox], but it's really starting to be a bit too outdated. ShadowGrounds' engine would be almost perfect for the job.

And thanks a bunch for the info on the upcoming level editor. I'm expecting a lot of good mods and if I have the time, I just might look into it myself as well. :)

RPG -hidden options, 4-man control, FPS -view, Bird's Eye view... still wantin' that SHulk -mod. :)

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:06 pm

I have to say that I didn't like it as much as the original because that didn't have those parts what I liked the most. But that was fine but not enough good.

And just came in to my mind that I might get a good DSS DJ remix out of those two. :wink: But of course I'm not sure will I have enough time on weekend and the right mood to mix them but you never know. But it is looking like I won't have enough time because I haven't even tested those camera settings what I got like month ago and I said I'll try them on next weekend.

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:35 pm

At last I got time to test these camera settings and these were good... when my fps wasn't dropped near to zero but I think that was because my graphic card didn't get enough power or something like that but any way here're the codes.

/camera_rotation_strength 3
/camera_rotation_spring 5
/camera_rotation_safe 40
/camera_rotation_fade_start 484
/camera_rotation_fade_end 768

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:28 pm

Oh yeah and one more thing when I'm closing my weapons upgrade menu and the menu is fading off and if I press escape during that the menu pops up again and starts the fading off all over again.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:33 am

"That's a feature."

(I.e. don't do that. :P )
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sun May 14, 2006 4:03 pm

I'll raise this topic again because I found one little bug in the level again.

That is the level where you'll meet the first boss. You can get through the fence and then walk on the water. But only on the left side.

This is minor bug but I wanted to bring it to publicy. Looks like you should have used some beta testers. =)

And by the way have I already asked what that blue arrow pointing up means?
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

Legato107

Postby Legato107 » Sun May 14, 2006 4:24 pm

I think Its there to tell you that you have enough upgrade parts for an upgrade.

DarkCube

Postby DarkCube » Sun May 14, 2006 5:06 pm

Mr. ShadowStealer wrote:And by the way have I already asked what that blue arrow pointing up means?

I have never even seen or noticed that arrow. :?
Facts can be changed.

Hedgehog

Postby Hedgehog » Sun May 14, 2006 7:04 pm

I move to ganymede, free pot! :twisted:

jasper1988

Postby jasper1988 » Sun May 14, 2006 9:12 pm

DarkCube wrote:
Mr. ShadowStealer wrote:And by the way have I already asked what that blue arrow pointing up means?

then get some magnifieing glasses :P
w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t
and by the way, finland owns!!!!
"Ja Tässä Lihaa Ilman Vihaa!!!!" ;)

DarkCube

Postby DarkCube » Sun May 14, 2006 10:07 pm

jasper1988 wrote:
DarkCube wrote:

then get some magnifieing glasses :P

I guess that I should get those
Facts can be changed.

Return to “Shadowgrounds”