Disabling blood?

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
JustOneQuestion

Disabling blood?

Postby JustOneQuestion » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi,

I would like to know that is it possible to disable blood in SG and SG Survivor?
Since, I really love the game and you actually got me into the whole shoot 'em up thing! :D
But so much blood flying from the aliens and big pools of blood really bothers me. :(

I tried to set the "gore_level" in the options text file from 100 to 0, 25 and 50 but it didn't do anything.
Also, I tried to change the blood color into green by changing the "green_blood" from 0 to 1, but that didn't work either.
And my last thing was to try out this "Alien Breed III" mod, but it crashed the game right after I started a new game and intro was over...

So, is it possible to disable it, change the color or at least make those pools of blood disappear?

Thank you for any answers!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Disabling blood?

Postby fb_joel » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:20 pm

Yes, it's possible. I'm not sure if those settings really work (as you noticed) but we made a no-blood version for the Chinese market once. I took a quick look and this should be easy for any version, so here we go:

http://shadowgroundsgame.com/help_noblo ... oblood.zip
http://shadowgroundsgame.com/help_noblo ... oblood.zip

Download and copy to the game directories, and extract. It will overwrite some files in the Data folder so you should take backups or have the original disk/installation somewhere if something goes wrong.

After that it should work straightaway. I did not include the noblood maps for SGS because they take 40 MB of space, I hope that's alright (but that's also possible).

I also did not test the SG one, but I assume it works (SGS seemed to work ok).

Let me know if this works. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

JustOneQuestion

Postby JustOneQuestion » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:47 pm

Thank you!
I have retail copies bought in Finland. ;)

It works great for original Shadowgrounds!
Haven't tried for Survivor yet, but I believe it works fine since it works for you.

Had to reinstall Shadowgrounds and add the 1.05 patch.
Without it, game crashed right after the intro when no_blood "patch" was applied.
I tried the first level and little from the second and looks like it has removed all the other blood as well, instead of just removing the blood coming from enemies. But that ain't so big deal. ;)

And on that note, if you're going to make another Shadowgrounds or similar game, hopefully there's no blood option as a default. ;)

And sorry for writing in english, could have done it in finnish too, but thought of just asking if someone else wants to remove the blood as well. :)

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:27 am

I'd like to advertise that our latest game, Trine, doesn't have a single drop of blood or other gore :D

JustOneQuestion

Postby JustOneQuestion » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:56 pm

Thanks, but I already have retail copy of it as well. :P
It's a great game!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:59 pm

Good to hear. :) If you just want to have the effects, then you can e.g. rename/delete the Textures/Decal folder and Models folder, and Units folder (inside Data folder). The "blood spray" effects are determined by Data\Effects\visualeffects.txt file so all the others are related to the textures and such.

Anyhow have fun! :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Shadowgrounds”