i want online/LAN

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.

should this game have PVP multiplayer

YES
37
77%
NO
4
8%
Not Sure /YES & NO
7
15%
 
Total votes: 48

zza
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:09 pm

i want online/LAN

Postby zza » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:22 pm

i think the game needs an online/LAN feature aswell....
that way it could have deathmatch,survival,CTF and other such game types for
multiplayer.

the reason im saying this is coz ive beaten it heaps(SP&MP),and now i want more from this great game,also deathmatch would be awesome in this bcoz of the veiwpoint,it would make PVP multiplayer not just killing each other but all players would need stratagy,and wepon upgrade could be the super spwan item for PVP MP in this,if it does get done u will see a lot of maps from me,im a mapper for UT2004 and a few other games

User avatar
Sampo
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 10:10 pm
Location: Espoo, Finland
Contact:

Postby Sampo » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:47 pm

That would be nice, but I don't need it. I wouldn't play Shadowgrounds over Internet. I wouldn't touch the LAN either, most probably.

User avatar
DarkCube
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:01 pm
Location: Somewhere

Postby DarkCube » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:35 am

Sampo wrote:That would be nice, but I don't need it. I wouldn't play Shadowgrounds over Internet. I wouldn't touch the LAN either, most probably.


I agree with that. It would be nice feature, but not necessary.

New gametypes would be good thing such as deathmatch and it wouldn't require LAN or online.
Survival gametype, were enemy would just be keep comming until you are death, would be realy fun. on both solo and coop play.
Facts can be changed.

User avatar
fb_joel
Site Admin
Posts: 2482
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Finland

Postby fb_joel » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:28 am

DarkCube wrote:Survival gametype, were enemy would just be keep comming until you are death, would be realy fun. on both solo and coop play.

This should be possible with mods, btw. Probably takes a while because it needs some scripting, but I'm sure someone will figure it out. :P
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

zza
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:09 pm

Postby zza » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:21 am

if it had LAN or online mode it could be 16 player or even more

User avatar
Magisoft
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Finland, Raisio
Contact:

Postby Magisoft » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:24 pm

mmm... Shadowgrounds in lan, sounds nice :)
Be rich. Be hard. Be Richard.
http://www.suomipelit.com

Davey
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:08 pm

Postby Davey » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:10 pm

Internet play would be awesome, maybe in the 2nd one? :P

Znake
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:42 pm
Location: Espoo, Finland

Postby Znake » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:29 am

I answered "Not sure" because I wouldn't want pvp (there are too many games with this mode IMO) but coop in lan mode. And yes, I know developers won't be doing this.

Talos
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:07 pm

Postby Talos » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:40 pm

EDIT: PvP who cares but CO-OP YES!!!

I am shocked they didn't at least put in LAN support for this game. C'mon guys what year is this? You've greated what looks to be a great fun game yet it is SCREAMING for at least LAN co-op. It's the perfect type fo game for this. Co-op on one computer? Who plays like that really?

Have you seen this mod for UT2004?

http://www.blackcatgames.com/swarm/

Your game could be totally enhanced with Network Co-op. Just my 2 cents. :D

If it had this feature, buying this game would be a no-brainer for me. As it is, I'm on the fence. Good co-op support in PC gaming is sorely lacking these days and this game had perfect opportunity to help in this area.

User avatar
Mr. ShadowStealer
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:12 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:16 pm

Well this game was Frozenbyte's first game ever and there was a time and money limit and they did want to do it as well as they possibly could do under those time and money limits and I think this is much for the first game.

Even the Flatout didn't have nothing good internet game support on it because it wasn't meant to be released with first Flatout, still the game was great and even it wasn't their first game they didn't put it on there because they had to release it because they ran out of time and it is better to have good game without internet game mode than buggy and bad game with crashing internet game mode.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

escapedturkey
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:26 pm

Postby escapedturkey » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:50 am

Yah, it's their first. Perhaps in the next one they will work on that, especially since they have all the major coding done with this one.

Personally, I find when a company focuses on both SP and MP, even the large developers with lots of money, one side is sacrificed. Rarely do both turn out well.

They would probably be better off making two new games, with modifications to the current engine:

Shadowgrounds 2 # SP
Shadowgrounds Arena # MP/COOP game

That way each game can have a primary focus.

Keep in mind, it's very important to purchase their first game. It gives them money to develop further games and offer future support. Also, it keeps the publisher happy, who will support the developer even more. 8)

Frontline
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 1:08 am
Contact:

Postby Frontline » Sun May 07, 2006 1:22 am

This game really needs network coop play mode. Every time you play this game you wish there was such feature! I don't know, perhaps with a patch or expansion pack or second part you should make it (no, actually you _must_ make it, hehehe!).

Geo
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 5:46 am

Postby Geo » Sun May 07, 2006 8:51 am

I'd love Internet co-op for this. I do get the impression their engine simply has no "hooks" for Internet or LAN play, so they'd likely have to rewrite the whole thing to insert it.

OTOH, there was one bargain WWII shooter i liked a few years ago (Deadly Dozen) that had no multiplayer at all. For the sequel (Deadly Dozen: Pacific Theater), the dev hired one game networking replace, and that one person was able to retroactively code Internet multiplayer into the engine. But that's an apple, and Shadowgrounds is an orange, so I don't know if it's that easy. :)

My only thing with pvp in this case is that the whole fun of Shadowgrounds (for me anyway) is annihilating nasty hordes of monsters. I'm not sure how much fun it would be to chase other players around in a top-down shooter, I'd miss out on annhilating big "mobs." I guess it'd work if you had some "quick teleporters" that shoved offed players back into action quickly.

If you could maybe throw some monsters into the middle of the PVP match, or maybe have some sort of CTF game where controlling the flag turned the monsters over to your "side" so they fought against your opponents, maybe threw in remote controllable mechs as some sort of CTF "reward," etc. then I think that might be something that interested me.

User avatar
fb_joel
Site Admin
Posts: 2482
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Finland

Postby fb_joel » Sun May 07, 2006 7:48 pm

Geo wrote:OTOH, there was one bargain WWII shooter i liked a few years ago (Deadly Dozen) that had no multiplayer at all. For the sequel (Deadly Dozen: Pacific Theater), the dev hired one game networking replace, and that one person was able to retroactively code Internet multiplayer into the engine. But that's an apple, and Shadowgrounds is an orange, so I don't know if it's that easy. :)
That sounds plausible but I would imagine that he spent a considerable amount of time doing it (and not for free). Now, if somebody wants to donate 25 000 euros to us, let's talk... :D
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

User avatar
DarkCube
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:01 pm
Location: Somewhere

Postby DarkCube » Sun May 07, 2006 10:09 pm

fb_joel wrote:Now, if somebody wants to donate 25 000 euros to us, let's talk... :D

Well i WANT to donate 25 000 euros to you. :D

but problem is that someone would need to give me that money first :cry:
Facts can be changed.

User avatar
jasper1988
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 4:45 pm
Location: nethalands

Postby jasper1988 » Tue May 09, 2006 9:37 pm

"Survival gametype, were enemy would just be keep comming until you are death, would be realy fun. on both solo and coop play."

allready got a great map for survival
the disco :D
its pretty hard to see the mobs, so you have to use your flashy wisely
and then only melee mobs would be most stressfull :P

w00t w00t!!
w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t
and by the way, finland owns!!!!
"Ja Tässä Lihaa Ilman Vihaa!!!!" ;)

ronny
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 7:58 am

Postby ronny » Wed May 10, 2006 2:27 am

i voted no. we dont need pvp. i would mind coop via internet but not pvp. all that equals is immature punk kids killing people for no reason.
if it were some kind of consentual duel then thats one thing but not just free pvp.

Geo
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 5:46 am

Postby Geo » Wed May 10, 2006 2:39 am

I assume what he means is PVP deathmatch on maps specifically designed for it. It wouldn't be my cup of tea, but I could see more players being attracted to the game if it offered both that and campaign co-op online. :)

User avatar
dragontoothdw
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 10:51 am

Postby dragontoothdw » Thu May 11, 2006 4:52 pm

It actually sounded like this game did have an online multiplayer function...which is what led to me convincing about 5 of my friends around the US to get it. And theyre all kinda pissed off now that we cant play with eachother over the net. I was hoping that either you-all could possibly create some patch that would set up a direct connection co-op...or maybe Shadowgrounds 2 could have online capabilities (prefer the first).

sam
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 9:41 pm

Postby sam » Mon May 15, 2006 10:01 pm

I would have thought it had online/lan co-op multiplayer too.
It's got a tremendous potential there, it reminds me of the old days playing xcom 3 :lol:

Add multiplayer online/lan and I know at least 10 people buying the game :wink:

starmonkey
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 1:28 am

online coop would mean instapurchase

Postby starmonkey » Tue May 16, 2006 6:45 am

I played the demo of this and it was good fun, but really for me to buy this game I'd need online COOP action - forget PVP or whatever, let me play through single player campaign and maybe custom created misions by community and you'd have something awesome. It'd need to work through steam friends too, so I can invite friends to games and they can just hop in and start blasting aliens.

But for now.... no purchase

User avatar
ZcRaider
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 6:12 am
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Postby ZcRaider » Sat May 20, 2006 6:09 am

When it comes down to it, its really about funding and gain LOL.

I figured thats why this game didnt have Netplay when i first saw it. Its understandable...sighs.

I eagerly await Shadowgrounds 2, or for a more creative name:

War of Shadows
Return to GanyMede

Not all of those Supreme Aliens Feel the same. They split in two groups and when to war. There are also other colonys on Earths Moon. GanyMede is completely TeraFormed and is the Base of Operations. The human forces must act in unity to stop the war of the Universe!



The "Abjuko" : The Radicallists
Big brothers to the Kiliklio, they think they are gods and want to rule the HUMAN RACE!!! And any other so call lower lifeforms.

The "Kiliklio" : The Loyal Passives
Want to share there Knowledge with humans and end the war between them and the Abjuko.

We must Fight together!! New Features Include ONLINE COOP!!!!!

Image

OHh yea...thats da good stuff! :twisted:
Neo: What are you trying to tell me - that I can dodge bullets?
Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to...

Zixinus
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 1:27 pm

Postby Zixinus » Thu May 25, 2006 4:57 pm

I don't think the aliens whould have that kind of structure. Or behavour. They are telepathic (or have a central mind) and far more advanced then us . I don't think that they whould split up, and if yes, what for? Also that plot is kinda cheap. That activity is far more typical to humans.

Also note that the aliens left at the end of the game.

User avatar
ZcRaider
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 6:12 am
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Postby ZcRaider » Thu May 25, 2006 10:11 pm

Zixinus wrote:I don't think the aliens whould have that kind of structure. Or behavour. They are telepathic (or have a central mind) and far more advanced then us . I don't think that they whould split up, and if yes, what for? Also that plot is kinda cheap. That activity is far more typical to humans.

Also note that the aliens left at the end of the game.



WAAAAA!!! WHO ASKED YA ANYWAYS!!! :P :P :P


Heh, it was just a half baked story that i made up in like 1 min anyways. Just to try to add some flair to the forums thats all. :lol:

I appreciate your constructive critizism tho! Heh.

However, following your logic as stated above, I disagree on a few things.

#1

The aliens do show some human qualities. After all they did blow up their home planet because of wanting to control a power that was above there ablity to control. Sounds pretty human to me.

Much like whats was goin to happen at the end of the game to us humans.

Most wars are started and ended between humans because of power stuggles.

#2

They did say they wanted to be like "GODS" Wanted to have some degree of control over lesser beings.

If not by just sharing there new found energy source, and labeling it as there discovery.

#3

And they tryed to stop us humans from making the same mistake they made with Military force because some humans did not listen to there warnings and chose to be independant. Sounds familar? USA and Iran for example.......Sad but true. But thats another topic worth debating.


#4

I was lead to believe that they have a collective consciousness. Not a single one. The is a difference. Central Consciousness means they all think the same. There all "ONE"

Collective consciousness means that there are a variety of consciousnesses
imbodied at a single point. All of the consciousnesses maybe thinking the same thing, or not. We wouldnt know because most humans are not telepathic.

It would seem logical to me that if they had a Central Consciousness, then there would be just one alien there. One body full of consciousnesses, instead of the Many aliens that were in that final Room. All of which had a seperate capsole, with a seperate body.

They were also many other ships sent to different parts of the Universe. Probaby reacting to the energy crisis in a manner Unique to the circumstance. If they had a Central Mind, then they would be taking Miltary action to other besides just us humans.

This is not a very smart thing to do. And could lead to the overthrown of the Aliens, by other aliens, through sheer numbers of disagreeing Lifeforms.

So there is no certainty here about this. Just speculation.


So all in all, its not too unrealistic and untrue to the original plot, that some of the aliens might have different fews on how to handle/live with humans.

Judging by how most of there actions, are so simliar to what we humans would do, if we had the same mental capacity.

Does any of this make sense? :P Trying to make sense of speculations isnt easy. :P

Thats my 2 cents!

Peace bro 8)
Neo: What are you trying to tell me - that I can dodge bullets?

Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to...

Doomsday
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 10:52 pm

Postby Doomsday » Sat May 27, 2006 3:27 am

I for one enjoy the fact they actualy have single pc-co-op. It seems most pc games due to the internet forget that they can actualy do that.

So if shadow grounds 2 is on the cards id like to see the feature retained.

However that said internet would be interesting with this game, i think that anything that is pvp based that doesnt feature teams would suck pretty bad. But team pvp may work, you could fluff out each side with aliens and robots to give it that horde fealing too.

Internet co-op could be amusing though you would have to change the game a bit, continus spawning aliens perhaps?


Return to “Shadowgrounds”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests