My good and bad points

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
dragonetti

My good and bad points

Postby dragonetti » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:42 am

These are some points which should / could / must be addressed in future games:

- Savegames
yeah yeah yeah... Although the respawns are there to fill the void for this, my opinion is that it doesn't feel right in such a game like this (I think respawns are better used for FPS shooters, it kind of ruin’s the right feel for this game...hard to explain).
This all goes for the "HARD" settings and beyond...

Weapon keymapping, this would give the player a much needed edge when playing on higher difficulty settings.

- AI ...
On certain missions a NPC goes with you.... please for god sake try to script it in such a way that he /she / it keeps a certain amount of pixels AWAY behind you. There is nothing wiorse than to be stuck while trying to run / leap back... Mission 10 almost completely ruined the fun for me with this game...
known problems:
* NPC stands still directly behind player.
* NPC shoots an enemy on sight... ....great when you are trying to sneak a beast from behind....this really made me wish that i could blow the NPC players to [@#[email protected]%[email protected]] ... sorry for that
* NPC get's stuck frequently

- level design:
There are many small objects (e.d. rocks etc...) lying on the ground, on a certain point in the game there where small objects on the ground which I could barely see but it was obstructing my running / walking almost completely!?! ...great when some beasts are running after you....
At another point in the game mission 10 at the end there was a circular level...it was really HELL trying to navigate through the circular path because there were to many objects on a small / thin path....
At another point in a certain level, I walked off the map!?!? (the mission where you encounter the "invisible" beasts....)
It was exactly at the point where the female NPC says to search for a keycard, at first I didn't know that I could shoot the glass (yes I know...stupid...) So rushed outside looking around the building and through some small open path I found myself way beyond the main map.... I could walk on endless... (was this meant to be? if so forget I mentioned it...)

- Animations.
The first almost everyone sees the animation through, but at some point in level 10 after I almost cleaned a room from those beasts, an animation would begin but during the animation (player taking key card from terminal) a few beast would pop and start attacking me... Although you could quickly escape the animation....the damage was done...

- Weapons lost!?!
On mission 10 (directly at the beginning) I only had access to my first weapon only after completely closing the game and restarting it I got all weapons back... It isn't a real disaster but when I began mission 10 I thought this was meant to be and tried to take on level 10 with weapon 1, I never want to try that again....
(it only happened 2 times to me, but maybe care should be taken with this point)

- Healing
Maybe there should be done something with the (healing / picking up med kits system). What I mean is, I frequently found myself picking up a med kit on accident while my health was above 90... again not a disaster but it can be sometimes when you really needed it...

Please forgive me if all the above sounds a bit rude or harsh, my English isn't 100% and it is still because of this great game I wrote this.

The game has some real good points to!
- atmosphere....! because of those lighting effects!! BEATIFUL!!
- voice acting although not Hollywood, still quite good for a first time go!
- music, it has some real good music. In the credits list I saw the name kinunnen.... are those guys related to teijo kinunnen (AMIGA's octamed?)
- gameplay, it was really good to see such a hard core old skool game with beefed up graphics and sound.

For a 10 men crew this was a hell of a job, my respect!

Please make part 2 of this game with:
- BIG levels
- savegame options

(if there will be a sequel)

sMull

Re: My good and bad points

Postby sMull » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:54 am

dragonetti wrote:These are some points which should / could / must be addressed in future games:

- Savegames
yeah yeah yeah... Although the respawns are there to fill the void for this, my opinion is that it doesn't feel right in such a game like this (I think respawns are better used for FPS shooters, it kind of ruin’s the right feel for this game...hard to explain).
This all goes for the "HARD" settings and beyond...

Actually i think the exact opposite, respawns are perfect for this type of game.
Weapon keymapping, this would give the player a much needed edge when playing on higher difficulty settings.

I agree with you, although the number keys work well.
- AI ...
On certain missions a NPC goes with you.... please for god sake try to script it in such a way that he /she / it keeps a certain amount of pixels AWAY behind you. There is nothing wiorse than to be stuck while trying to run / leap back... Mission 10 almost completely ruined the fun for me with this game...
known problems:
* NPC stands still directly behind player.
* NPC shoots an enemy on sight... ....great when you are trying to sneak a beast from behind....this really made me wish that i could blow the NPC players to [@#[email protected]%[email protected]] ... sorry for that
* NPC get's stuck frequently

Never had these problems, AI seemed fine to me.
- level design:
There are many small objects (e.d. rocks etc...) lying on the ground, on a certain point in the game there where small objects on the ground which I could barely see but it was obstructing my running / walking almost completely!?! ...great when some beasts are running after you....
At another point in the game mission 10 at the end there was a circular level...it was really HELL trying to navigate through the circular path because there were to many objects on a small / thin path....
At another point in a certain level, I walked off the map!?!? (the mission where you encounter the "invisible" beasts....)
It was exactly at the point where the female NPC says to search for a keycard, at first I didn't know that I could shoot the glass (yes I know...stupid...) So rushed outside looking around the building and through some small open path I found myself way beyond the main map.... I could walk on endless... (was this meant to be? if so forget I mentioned it...)

Never had such problems either.
- Animations.
The first almost everyone sees the animation through, but at some point in level 10 after I almost cleaned a room from those beasts, an animation would begin but during the animation (player taking key card from terminal) a few beast would pop and start attacking me... Although you could quickly escape the animation....the damage was done...

- Weapons lost!?!
On mission 10 (directly at the beginning) I only had access to my first weapon only after completely closing the game and restarting it I got all weapons back... It isn't a real disaster but when I began mission 10 I thought this was meant to be and tried to take on level 10 with weapon 1, I never want to try that again....
(it only happened 2 times to me, but maybe care should be taken with this point)

Those seem like bugs to me, maybe will be fixed in the patch.
- Healing
Maybe there should be done something with the (healing / picking up med kits system). What I mean is, I frequently found myself picking up a med kit on accident while my health was above 90... again not a disaster but it can be sometimes when you really needed it...

Well, try not to run over them :wink: Although an easy fix would be making health kits pickable by pressing Use key only.
The game has some real good points to!
- atmosphere....! because of those lighting effects!! BEATIFUL!!
- voice acting although not Hollywood, still quite good for a first time go!
- music, it has some real good music. In the credits list I saw the name kinunnen.... are those guys related to teijo kinunnen (AMIGA's octamed?)
- gameplay, it was really good to see such a hard core old skool game with beefed up graphics and sound.

For a 10 men crew this was a hell of a job, my respect!

Agreed :twisted:
Please make part 2 of this game with:
- BIG levels
- savegame options

I though the levels in Shadwogrounds were large already, but even larger sounds great 8)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: My good and bad points

Postby fb_joel » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:55 pm

Most people dont have problems with the NPCs but I can see that they can cause problems in the situations you mentioned.

Some (but not all) of the collision bugs will be fixed in the patch, including that "out of this world" experience. The animation and lost weapons bugs occur very rarely, but we'll see if they can be fixed.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. We'll take them into account in the future... :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Aureoloss

Postby Aureoloss » Wed May 03, 2006 6:38 pm

i do agree on the AI thing, even though the getting stuck part seems like it could happen, the only times it has happened to me has been when some NPC blocks me in.

another bug i've found is that when you're at the level with invisible monsters, your companion NPC won't shoot them, even if you're lighting them up with the flashlight. it's not something urgent, but should probably be looked at

MrTweak

Postby MrTweak » Thu May 04, 2006 4:25 am

AI NPCs She & he wouldn't cause problems? Hell been playing now 11 Levels on final and every time our good doctor & the bitch walks with me can't even stand around to not to get stuck on some wall or to the NPCs.. That's very very bad thing since if there's aliens coming ahead hell where are you gonna turn when you are stuck allready when you see it.

It keeps getting even worst on "ship"..
- level design:

Never had such problems either.

Never had such problem? lol you most be kidding me..

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu May 04, 2006 11:41 am

It really depends on the play style. I'd say that the "path" for mission completion is usually relatively bug free but if you wonder off that path, then you will find some minor bugs. And Provectus and the Mines have plenty of collision problems everywhere, and many of those will be fixed in the patch. It's still possible to avoid getting inside debris etc, if you believe what your eyes are saying ("that's a piece of debris, I don't need to touch it"). :wink:

The AI really shouldn't affect the player much. The NPCs themselves may get stuck sometimes, but you can shoot through them, and they should never come too close to you... or maybe I've just ignored the problems, I don't know. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Shadowgrounds”