Where Is It?

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
DJPixel

Where Is It?

Postby DJPixel » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:20 am

In the US?

Can't find any retailers some(most)have never heard of it before

Not "thrilled" with buying through STEAM so wanted to know where in US has it?

Thanks

BTW:It's nice and refreshing to see the devs take an intrest in the community by posting to these boards

The demo is off the hook and almost exactly what is missing from most games "FUN"

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:29 am

Thanks. :D

I believe most US stores should have it by now, including EB/GameStop website ("usually ships in 24 hours", link), but Best Buy website (link) lists the release date as 3rd of May. So it could be that in your parts or in some retail chains the game needs a few more days to reach the shelves.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

cam714

Postby cam714 » Tue May 02, 2006 12:33 am

I hate to break it to you, but if there's a store near Chicago, IL that has it, I haven't found it. I checked Gamestop/Ebgames and Best Buy and not a single one has it. I even pre ordered it from EB, but they still don't have it.....

Geo

Postby Geo » Tue May 02, 2006 5:48 am

Hi, I was able to buy Shadowgrounds at a Best Buy in Virginia (USA). They also carried Daemonica by meridian4 too.

Look for Shadowgrounds in the action games section, you might find it lurking on one of the lower shelves, if it's like my store. :)

CoolBoy

Postby CoolBoy » Tue May 02, 2006 7:03 am

How about Canada? Will/does Futureshop, Bestbuy, or Ebgames carry it?
"Evil will always triumph because good is dumb." Spaceballs

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue May 02, 2006 3:16 pm

It's indeed very likely that Shadowgrounds is "lurking" on the lower shelves - we just don't have the luxury of the big developers/publishers to really push the game in the stores.

I've been informed that 100 Best Buy stores should have Shadowgrounds now, and Gamestop should have it now or very soon also. No idea about the other chains. It's always good to ask one of the clerks... even if SG is not in that store, maybe they'll take notice and order some.

And thanks for buying, Geo. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Geo

Postby Geo » Wed May 03, 2006 2:17 am

Sure. :) BTW, I learned about the game from that full page ad in the latest PC Gamer (the one with Command & Conquer 3 on the cover). Tried the demo, and once I got used to the viewpoint (which was a refreshing change from all the FPS shooters, many of which cause me motion sickness problems), had a lot of fun with it. It reminded me # in spirit # of some fine shareware I used to play back in the heyday of small U.S. devs like Apogee, before FPS games took over the planet. :P

I only mention the "lurking on lower shelves," in hopes people won't give up if they don't initially see it at a Best Buy. I wouldn't really count on a store employee knowing about it. In my case it took a good maybe 10 minutes of casing the few shelves there until I tracked it down. Too many stores I go to seem to have no rhyme or reason where they put games. Meaning even "A-list" big budget games end up in some no-man's land where nobody can even see the game there.

If I had my druthers, I'd stick a "locator chip" in every game case, and have a little computer you'd punch a game name in at the store. Bingo, a little locator map would show you where on the shelves it was and there you'd have your game. :)

I have this weakness for games developed overseas. That's included some German-developed games (Incubation, Sacred), Polish (Odium), Russian (Silent Storm), just to name a few. I just find devs over there seem more willing to tackle genres (or "viewpoints" like top down/isometric) the big publishers here have given up on.

Oop I'm babbling. Too much caffeine. Sorry. :oops:

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed May 03, 2006 2:17 pm

Heh, I forgot that there was an ad in PC Gamer. Nice. :)

Geo wrote:I only mention the "lurking on lower shelves," in hopes people won't give up if they don't initially see it at a Best Buy. I wouldn't really count on a store employee knowing about it. In my case it took a good maybe 10 minutes of casing the few shelves there until I tracked it down. Too many stores I go to seem to have no rhyme or reason where they put games. Meaning even "A-list" big budget games end up in some no-man's land where nobody can even see the game there.

Wow, that sounds pretty awful. I guess the stores have a hard time coping with so many products, but still that's quite bad. If a gamer knows he wants a certain game, and it's in the store but he can't find it, I consider that to be the worst scenario for everyone. Such a shame if that happens often (and especially if it happens with Shadowgrounds :cry: ).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Geo

Postby Geo » Wed May 03, 2006 6:24 pm

I forgot to mention, Daemonica, another Meredian 4 published game was right up on top of the shelves, so I don't think it's a matter of game/marketing budget. Maybe it's just luck. :?

cam714

Postby cam714 » Thu May 04, 2006 7:34 pm

Well one store that is sort of near me finally got a copy. Now I just have to drive about 28 miles to pick it up. None of the Best Buy's near me have a copy hidden or otherwise, and none of the Gamestops/Ebgames near me have one.

Geo

Postby Geo » Thu May 04, 2006 9:08 pm

With gas prices what they are (that's probably $6 or more to drive there and back, depending where you live), you might be better off ordering it online from EB/Gamestop. :)

hansman

Postby hansman » Thu May 04, 2006 9:48 pm

hi,
im from Germany, but i havent heared about Incubation.
Is it a god game?
But Sacred is really great, looking forward to Sacred II.
Im als interested in German games, but there are not so much here
Have you played Farcry, it is a very good game, better than Doom III.

In which cuntry was Shadowgrounds developed?

Geo

Postby Geo » Thu May 04, 2006 11:38 pm

hansman wrote:hi,
im from Germany, but i havent heared about Incubation.
Is it a good game?
But Sacred is really great, looking forward to Sacred II.
Im als interested in German games, but there are not so much here
Have you played Farcry, it is a very good game, better than Doom III.

In which country was Shadowgrounds developed?
Careful with the typos, I fixed the one in "country" when quoting you. :wink:

Incubation was a 3-D (then a big deal), turn-based, very bloody and gory "space marines vs. aliens" squad strategy game released in about 1997 by German dev Blue Byte. Blue Byte has since been absorbed by one of the big publishers, so you don't hear the name much anymore. By today's standards the graphics are awfully blocky (that was the "3DFX" graphic card era). They're better known for the Settlers and Battle Isle series.

I had a lot of fun exchanging message board posts and emails with Incubation's producer Wolfgang Walk and the main programmer Lars Hammer. I think one fun thing about smaller devs is getting to do that # with some gigantic monolithic entity like Blizzard or EA, there's little opportunity for that (they hire PR people to do all the interacting). The kindest thing they did for me was sending me a free :shock: copy of The Wilderness Missions expansion pack as a sort of thank you for my fan site. :) I'd already bought the expansion, so I mailed it to a fellow fan.

I loved Incubation and ran a fan site for it (Geo's Incubation Site) but it's U.S. sales were poor. After one expansion (the wayyyy too difficult "Wilderness Missions"), they did no further Incubation games, in spite of my "incubation 2 petition" efforts. :) If you search the Net you can find an "Incubation Data Archives" forum and some die hard fan sites that keep the game alive. Legally speaking, you can't really get the game anymore except possibly on Ebay.

The main site can give you more info on Frozenbyte, they're based in Finland. I can say without a doubt they've made the best Finnish game ever cause I've never played anything else made there. :wink:

I bought Farcry but for some reason I never really got into it, though it certainly looks great. I don't think the PC/video card I had at the time I got it was good enough to run the game very well, was the other problem.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri May 05, 2006 12:22 am

Geo wrote:I can say without a doubt they've made the best Finnish game ever cause I've never played anything else made there. :wink:

You've never played Max Payne (by Remedy)? Wow. :D

I actually got a copy of Incubation on my shelf. Tried the demo back in the day and it got good reviews, so I bought it... but never got around to playing it much, heh. I wish I had a couple of months of free time to play all the "old" classics.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Geo

Postby Geo » Fri May 05, 2006 3:37 am

I thought Remedy was in Norway, but you know, I get all those cold climate European countries mixed up. :wink:

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun May 07, 2006 2:01 am

Thought that might be the case. It's a bit like many people think that Nokia is a Japanese company or something, heh. 8)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Geo

Postby Geo » Sun May 07, 2006 8:39 am

Did you guys play Max Payne 2? I had meant to ask if there was any chance of a "Last Man Standing" skirmish mode for Shadowgrounds like Max Payne 2 has. Maybe just something to mess around in once someone has completed the missions campaign, w/o having to use the level editor. 8)

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sun May 07, 2006 2:18 pm

fb_joel wrote:It's indeed very likely that Shadowgrounds is "lurking" on the lower shelves - we just don't have the luxury of the big developers/publishers to really push the game in the stores.

I've been informed that 100 Best Buy stores should have Shadowgrounds now,...

It all started out of scratch. It was Frozenbyte's first game. And if I remember right it originally was planned to be released only in Finland. And now. It has became worldwide hit. =D
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun May 07, 2006 7:50 pm

Geo wrote:Did you guys play Max Payne 2? I had meant to ask if there was any chance of a "Last Man Standing" skirmish mode for Shadowgrounds like Max Payne 2 has. Maybe just something to mess around in once someone has completed the missions campaign, w/o having to use the level editor. 8)

I imagine something like that will eventually be made as a mod. We probably won't do it ourselves unless the game gets really popular and we have some "extra" money to spend on something like this, but who knows... :wink:
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

CoolBoy

Postby CoolBoy » Wed May 10, 2006 6:26 am

Found it! I bought my copy today at an Ebgames in Western Canada for $34.99 but since I had some trade-ins it only cost me $22! I like the slick box art and everything else about this wonderful title.
"Evil will always triumph because good is dumb." Spaceballs

Return to “Shadowgrounds”