How to take down the MECH???? *spoilers*

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
Geo

How to take down the MECH???? *spoilers*

Postby Geo » Sat May 06, 2006 5:45 pm

For the love of God, someone give me a hint. :cry: I took 2 hours to get this far on the lousy mission (please Frozenbye have a heart and don't make missions this long without a savepoint). I don't know if I'm going to keep playing this after this mission. :evil: Fun has deteriorated into frustration for me. I can't fathom going through those 2 hours again to get to this point.

i'm out of respawns. No weapon I have can make a dent on the mech. The terminal in the mech room can't be activated. Nothing in the game seems to give me any clue on what to do here. I've left the game running (with my mechanic in a locked room for now) in hopes someone might be able to help. Thankfully you can alt-tab out of the game.

I tried using Pulse gun secondary but it seems to have no impact # I was hoping it might work as an EMP blast of some sort.

Please if someone can clue me in on the secret here, I'd much appreciate it.

sMull

Postby sMull » Sat May 06, 2006 6:12 pm

I just kept firing at it until it died. Maybe there is a strategy to it and i stumbled upon it by mistake and without knowing, but after some time he just exploded :shock:

Geo

Postby Geo » Sat May 06, 2006 6:26 pm

Did a health meter ever come up for the mech? The previous "end bosses" had a visible health meter, but I don't see anything for the mech when I blast it.

I did find an ammo crate with a little mini gun ammo at least. Anyway, thanks. :)

I'll keep trying but there are no medkits left, and I just can't stomach the idea of going through this entire mission again (at least not in Normal difficulty), since I'm out of respawns.

Geo

Postby Geo » Sat May 06, 2006 6:31 pm

Wooooooooohoooooooooo 8)

Thanks again for the basic guidance. :) I blasted it with the 100 mini gun rounds from behind and that finally did it. I don't know if shooting from behind matters, but at least I didn't take any return fire.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun May 07, 2006 2:10 am

Shooting from behind should help with most enemies (not 100% sure about the mech). The mech boss takes quite a beating. Anyway, glad that you got through ok...

I think the next levels will be slightly easier so I hope it doesn't become too frustrating.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Geo

Postby Geo » Sun May 07, 2006 8:33 am

I blew through (well, relatively speaking :wink:) through the next mission after that. Then I decided I needed a break. I'll give you guys credit for a game that (on Normal) makes me break out in a cold sweat, bang my keyboard occasionally in dismay when I get my poor mechanic offed (I could really use a melee chainsaw weapon or something for when I get overwhelmed :twisted: ) and makes me occasionally shout at the monitor. I'm just not sure that always is healthy for me. :oops: :lol:

BTW I like how in so many areas you can break the windows to reach other paths and generally how there are different routes to do things in different order.

I know in one of the outdoor missions I stumbled around into trails blindly, thinking I messed up. But when I finally backtracked to the mission objective, it was a relief to know I had cleared the way to the final exit # without even knowing it at the time. :)

Geo

Postby Geo » Sun May 07, 2006 8:55 am

Oh, while I was battling the mech I had some great flashbacks to Origin's 1995-1996 isometric action games Crusader: No Remorse/No Regret.

One of the great things in Crusader were sequences where you accessed a remote control panel and took control of a walking mech that fired rockets and machine guns and destroyed everything in sight. :twisted:

You also battled mechs that usually required you to use a special EMP blast rifle to disable them briefly before you could terminate them. Man i miss that game...

I'm revealing what an old fogie I am :), but it was one of my favorite action games ever. Alas, a couple little games called Wolfenstein 3-D and Doom took over the universe about that time, and instead of a world full of Crusader: No Remorse isometric action games we got 11 years of FPS shooters instead. :roll:

If you never played it, a couple links of interest:

Mobygames info page
http://www.mobygames.com/game/crusader-no-remorse

Echo Sector Crusader Fan site

http://www.cyberionsystems.com/echosect ... /news.html
(Oh that someone in 2016 will start a fan site for Shadowgrounds :))

Wikipedia Entry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusader_(computer_game)

It includes a weapons page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cr ... _equipment

If you ever need inspiration for weapons for a future Shadowgrounds game, check it out. :)

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sun May 07, 2006 2:25 pm

OOHH WOOW THAT IS ALMOST JUST LIKE SHADOWGROUNDS!!! :shock: :shock:
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun May 07, 2006 8:01 pm

While I haven't played Crusader, it's on the very top of my "games to play soon (tm)" list. It's such a shame I missed out on it back in the day, because the game always looked awesome. I think the main character has such charisma just by looks alone, that a new Crusader game could become a big hit. It's going to be interesting to see if EA has any plans for the series in the future.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Geo

Postby Geo » Mon May 08, 2006 3:55 am

At that Echo fan site, there's some info on various sequel plans that never got off the ground (including an online multiplayer variation). Most of the key design members are out of the games industry now. The key guy Tony Zurovec followed Chris Roberts out of Origin/EA into their own firm in the heady dotcom heydays of 2000, but his Loose Cannon game (which probably would've resembled Grand Theft Auto 3 in a lot of ways) never got off the ground.

EA still owns the rights but it's unlikely they'll ever revisit the series. Unless Shadowgrounds sells a billion copies, and suddenly everyone wants to do isometric or top down shooters again. That would make me happy. 8)

Return to “Shadowgrounds”