Teaser Trailer released - opinions?

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
fb_joel
Site Admin

Teaser Trailer released - opinions?

Postby fb_joel » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:49 pm

I'm sure everyone has had a look at the Teaser Trailer. Let's hear your thoughts!

Link to the trailer for those who somehow missed it:
http://www.shadowgroundsgame.com/en/trailers.html
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

RaidLOQ

Re: Teaser Trailer released - opinions?

Postby RaidLOQ » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:02 am

fb_joel wrote:I'm sure everyone has had a look at the Teaser Trailer. Let's hear your thoughts!

Link to the trailer for those who somehow missed it:
http://www.shadowgroundsgame.com/en/trailers.html

Game looks pretty rad. I like isometric-viewed action games, and this looks like a cross between that old PSX game Project Overkill, and like.. UT2004 or something. Looking forward to trying it out.

Wizard

Postby Wizard » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:58 am

Looks good...and seems to be fun :) Only thing that worries me is the AI seeing that most of the monsters just stand there and shoot you in the teaser. I hope that in the final they will atleast move a little while in firefight :)
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:46 pm

DAMN :shock: :D

Looks like its gonna be a hell of a ride.

It look like it was a little co-op in the teaser trailer.

The Destructible environments in the game looks to be a good Element.

Just listed to the game music. sounded a little diffrent for the first one that was realeasd (wasnt the same was it?). it was really good btw. is there gonna be a story telling voice in the game? Cause with the music you have now and with a really good story telling voice i think you can get the same great feel that was in the game Homeworld.

New Atlantis? This better take place on and island then :wink:

Edit: Like the new name btw even if the old was good to.
Game of the year 2006 :D

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:16 pm

The AI is under tweaking at the moment. They won't be the most intelligent monsters ever (well hey they're bloodthirsty monsters, they don't have time to think much :P ) but should give you a good challenge. We have a new version of that big monster (called Brute) that's more sleek and moves more. It looks quite menacing... Maybe I can take a screenshot of it someday. 8)

There's gonna be a storytelling voice in the game intro, but not elsewhere. (I should really make that official Q&A thread someday. :wink: )
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:21 pm

i would love o see a screenshot of Brute :P

Wizard

Postby Wizard » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:40 pm

fb_joel wrote:Maybe I can take a screenshot of it someday. 8)

I would suggest that someday = during this week or else you'll suffer :twisted:

sathanas

Postby sathanas » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:24 pm

Wizard wrote:
fb_joel wrote:Maybe I can take a screenshot of it someday. 8)

I would suggest that someday = during this week or else you'll suffer :twisted:

We should only threaten the devs regarding release dates, it gives a bad impression if we just threaten them willy-nilly :lol:

The teaser was good. I liked the bit where a monster is approaching a junction in the corridor, and the character appears to turn off his torch (maybe this is just a video error or something), but it gives the impression there's more depth to the game than just shooting. Shooting unsuspecting monsters in the back! :lol:
"I'm nothing if not redundant. I also repeat myself" - Richard Fish

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:29 pm

This must be quite cool :P

But Frozenbyte people, I don't think the change of Preyground's name was wise. This confuses lots of people (since the name Preyground is now familiar to lots of people through several articles in the Internet and in some magazines). And to me it means that you guys didn't trust your own product. I still hope the game rocks, but moves like these are not nice.

fb_artz

Postby fb_artz » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:46 pm

Qraft wrote:DAMN :shock: :D

Just listed to the game music. sounded a little diffrent for the first one that was realeasd (wasnt the same was it?).

Yes, the main theme was shortened at the beginning and changed a littlebit at the end. I wanted it to be dense, bigger and more moody. It will be also remastered before soundtrack is released. :)
// Ari 'artz' Pulkkinen, Frozenbyte Team
:: Music and Audio Producer
:: check http://www.aripulkkinen.com for more detail

fb_jpk

Postby fb_jpk » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:55 pm

Sampo wrote:But Frozenbyte people, I don't think the change of Preyground's name was wise. This confuses lots of people (since the name Preyground is now familiar to lots of people through several articles in the Internet and in some magazines). And to me it means that you guys didn't trust your own product.

Well, I guess that's somewhat true, but I wouldn't say that the namechange has anything to do with our trust in our product... I think the press-release on this issue pretty much sums up the reason for the namechange.

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:57 am

artz wrote:

Just listed to the game music. sounded a little diffrent for the first one that was realeasd (wasnt the same was it?).

Yes, the main theme was shortened at the beginning and changed a littlebit at the end. I wanted it to be dense, bigger and more moody. It will be also remastered before soundtrack is released. :)

So you are planing on releasing a Soundtrack CD? cause that would be really cool.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:03 am

I've made a news post on the front page about the name change. I hope it sets the record straight.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

fb_artz

Shadowgrounds soundtrack

Postby fb_artz » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:19 am

So you are planing on releasing a Soundtrack CD? cause that would be really cool.

Don't worry! Shadowgrounds soundtrack will be released on CD. I believe it will be available before the official shadowgrounds game release date. Prices and ordering methods will be revealed later.

Qraft

Re: Shadowgrounds soundtrack

Postby Qraft » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:33 am

artz wrote:

Don't worry! Shadowgrounds soundtrack will be released on CD. I believe it will be available before the official shadowgrounds game release date. Prices and ordering methods will be revealed later.

cool :D

if i order it from your website is there a small chanse that i might get it signed? :P

fb_artz

Postby fb_artz » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:49 am

Qraft wrote:if i order it from your website is there a small chanse that i might get it signed? :P

I'm sure I'll write something to the first 100 CD's. ;)

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:56 am

artz wrote:
Qraft wrote:if i order it from your website is there a small chanse that i might get it signed? :P

I'm sure I'll write something to the first 100 CD's. ;)

then ill buy it as soon as i can :D

Wizard

Postby Wizard » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:01 am

Artz, you're doing the music for this game? Nice, I really loved your music in Starfight 6. :)
btw, you could mention JP to update the site...looks really bad when last update is like from 2 years in the Starfight Comrades site :wink:

Firefly

I'm just curious...

Postby Firefly » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:48 am

...was the development of this game inspired in any way by Abuse? This title, a release of the now-defunct Crack dot Com, is a fairly straightfoward platform game with the added wrinkle of using the mouse to aim and fire in three-sixty degrees. Just from the trailer and screenshots, the answer to this question seems to be 'at least in part', and that would be a good thing.
Neither would I be surprised if other influences came from Origin's Crusader games.
Another gameplay Q: how will the Z-axis be handled? One portion of the teaser shows a character on a walkway with a nice view of critters roaming below, and that does make for a nice firing angle...

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:06 pm

Abuse? cant say that i see it. Abuse is side-scrolling, and this is isometric. Alien breed might been a inspiration source. And i quote Joel:

"I loved Beyond Good & Evil and it's definitely one of my personal influences (especially in character design)."

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:38 pm

Shadowgrounds has a clear evolution path (starting about 2-3 years ago), and it's mostly evolved slowly from our own ideas etc.

However, Abuse, Alien Breed and especially Crusader are games that have influenced the team members in their early years. All of us were and still are big gamers, so we have fond memories of most of the classic games.

If we go deeper into the personal side, my favorite game and biggest inspiration is X-Com (first and second). Nothing else comes close.

(This is probably a nice feature for the upcoming developer diary, so I'll come back to the subject later on.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:32 pm

what was your first ides for the game when you all started to develop it. like was the planned to be a side scrolling or top-view (alien breed like) game?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:44 am

That's a very large topic to discuss here... Expect to see it in a dev diary sometime. In one sentence, the idea came from the realization that our strategy game was much more fun to play with the player directly controlling one of his guys and we just ran with the idea until it evolved to the current form (2 years ago). I won't answer any further questions on this, though, because it's a secret vault that needs to be kept shut for now. 8)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:31 am

hehe, ok. But the fact that you were planing a strategy game first is very interesting :P

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:22 pm

The game looks really cool! Will there be a demo soon? :wink:

Return to “Shadowgrounds”