Linux source code

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
cbxbiker61

Linux source code

Postby cbxbiker61 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:07 am

Hey,

It's great that you've open sourced Shadowgrounds and Survivor. Can we get the "ported" Linux source code rather than the Windows specific code? I'm interested in porting these games to 64bit Linux and It would be way easier to start from the 32 bit Linux port rather than having to redo the porting process from Windows to Linux.

Urfoex

Re: Linux source code

Postby Urfoex » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:48 am

Found these to Sections:
SPECIAL NOTES
-------------

The Shadowgrounds games are quite old and possibly very messy - these sources have not been cleaned too much.

There may also be references to older projects, such as "Disposable" or "DH", which mean our very first game, an (RTS) prototype from 2001-2003. (It should be possible to enable several RTS commands such as unit groups, switching sides to aliens and so on.)

It's also worth noting that the source code has a lot of "hacks" and "todos". It is in many ways messy and could be hard to understand.

We haven't had a commercial name for the game engine, but internally it's been called "Storm3D". Storm3D is partially based on work by the awesome Finnish programmer Sebastian Aaltonen, from whom we bought the original code in 2000/2001.

Good luck! :)

SPECIAL NOTES
-------------

The Jack Claw source is based on the same code that we have used in all of our games so far. This will finally change with Trine 2 which uses a completely rewritten game engine. You will find a lot of code related to Shadowgrounds (2005) and Shadowgrounds Survivor (2007). There may also be references to older projects, such as "Disposable" or "DH", which mean our very first game, an (RTS) prototype from 2001-2003.

It's also worth noting that the source code has a lot of "hacks" and "todos". It is in many ways messy and could be hard to understand.

We haven't had a commercial name for the game engine, but internally it's been called "Storm3D". Storm3D is partially based on work by the awesome Finnish programmer Sebastian Aaltonen, from whom we bought the original code in 2000/2001.

That's it. We'll be discussing Jack Claw much more in the future on our websites and in the community, so be sure to check them out.

Good luck! :)

As you can see, both games are using the same engine. Maybe with releasing the code for Linux&Mac-part of Jack Claw they also release the Linux&Mac-part of the Shadowgrounds-series. Else we can maybe port the Shadowgrounds-stuff over to Jack Claw so Shadowgrounds would run with the "new" engine.
Combining both code-parts (Shadowgrounds and Jack Claw) would also save much time and effort because they have the same basis. Improving one will also improve the other one.

Time will tell ...
+-----------------------------------------------------------------\
| Debian testing 64Bit on
| * AMD Phenom x4 905e (4x2500Mhz)
| * 6GB Ram
| * AMD/ATI Radeon HD4770 (fglrx)
+-----------------------------------------------------------------/

slackfx

Postby slackfx » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:57 am

I looked at the source and was a little bit discouraged, because opengl is not mentioned in any place. So this are really only windows sources for ms direcx and porting this to opengl will be a huge problem (even if somebody is brave enough to do it)...

Is the linux port coprighted by IGIOS and thus cannot be released, or did I misunderstood something?

Megahertz

Postby Megahertz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:55 am

Greetings,

I've been looking pretty hard for a link to the source on multiple pages with no luck in finding one. Could somebody please point me in the direction of where this can be downloaded?

Many Thanks,

Gerald Filimonov

Urfoex

Postby Urfoex » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:18 am

Megahertz wrote:Greetings,

I've been looking pretty hard for a link to the source on multiple pages with no luck in finding one. Could somebody please point me in the direction of where this can be downloaded?

Many Thanks,

Gerald Filimonov

The Linux-sourcecode is not online yet.
You can get the currently released sourcecode from the humblebundle page (the one you got where you could download the games and soundtracks and stuff. There is now SOURCE to download the sourcecode from Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds: Survivor.)

You can also grep it from here:
http://code.google.com/p/shadogrounds-and-shadowgrounds-survivor/
where you need mercurial to download the code. (See section SOURCE)
| * 6GB Ram

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:59 pm

We gave Frozenbyte the latest Linux source code and hopefully they'll release it sometime soon.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

Megahertz

Postby Megahertz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:02 am

Awesome, thanks for the update!

Gerald

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:11 pm

Yes, we plan to release the Linux/Mac source soon. Most likely happens next week as things got so busy this week that we haven't had the chance to double check it yet. Sorry about this extra delay.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Urfoex

Postby Urfoex » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:16 pm

fb_joel wrote:Yes, we plan to release the Linux/Mac source soon. Most likely happens next week as things got so busy this week that we haven't had the chance to double check it yet. Sorry about this extra delay.

Great Thanks.
You're awesome!

Just take your time.
| * 6GB Ram

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu May 05, 2011 5:52 pm

Yeah and I'll again say "next week". I want to get all the support issues dealt with and then we'll focus more on the "extras".
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Swanny

Postby Swanny » Mon May 16, 2011 1:35 pm

One extra with the source would be to trying switching to using FFMpeg 0.6 where it became slightly more shared library friendly. Don't think there should be too many changes required.

This would me to use system libraries (at least with my distros current versions) but movies for some reason tend to stutter on my system which might be an issue with the older FFMpeg 0.5ish used.

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Tue May 17, 2011 11:10 am

The source supports both versions of FFMpeg. When I tried to build a stripped-down version for distribution the 0.6 libavcodec kept crashing and I couldn't really track down the problem. Might have been something in the asm-optimized decoders.
Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

dhewg

Postby dhewg » Tue May 17, 2011 8:24 pm

just a "me too"
looking forward to the OpenGL based source release!

slackfx

Postby slackfx » Wed May 25, 2011 9:28 pm

it would be nice too have an estimate.... :-)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Yeah it's just waiting for me to comb it through for any oddities, if all things go to plan then tomorrow could be a good candidate... Sorry for all the delays, there's been so many things going on simultaneously that it's been tough to get everything done. At least we're not in the "next week" phase anymore though, now it's "tomorrow". :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

vayerx

Postby vayerx » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:15 pm

"tomorrow"? o_O

alt_turo

Postby alt_turo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:16 am

Turo Lamminen
Alternative Games

Return to “Shadowgrounds”