Various grammar mistakes in the game

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
ZEUS_GB

Various grammar mistakes in the game

Postby ZEUS_GB » Fri May 12, 2006 12:51 am

[Note: Threads merged manually by fb_joel]

There is a grammar mistake on first level of the UK release.
After you've fixed the reactor the game updates your mission objectives and the next objective is "Find rodman from the warehouse".
This should be "Find Rodman in the warehouse".

At the start of the second level when Wesley is talking to Jane it sounds like she says the security system has logged all the doors instead of locked all the doors. Couldn't quite hear it, need a second opinion on this.

1 - W Dike PDA

It says "engineer Westin went down to ensure the water control door locks are in order" it should be "engineer Westin went down to ensure the water control door locks were in order".

2 - W Dike PDA

It says further down "i have issued a red alert and everybody should make way to the only secure place in this facility, the guard room" it should be "i have issued a red alert and everybody should make their way to the only secure place in this facility, the guard room" or "everybody should be making their way".

3 - John Ripa PDA

It says "some kind of parasite has inhabited the water pools" it should be "some kind of parasite has infested the water pools" or something like that.

On the sixth level when talking to the doctor he tells you to find Dr Shultz from the greenhouse it should be in the greenhouse, it also says from the greenhouse on the map screen where it lists your objectives.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri May 12, 2006 10:35 pm

Thanks. Will be fixed in the next patch like the earlier ones.

ZEUS_GB wrote:At the start of the second level when Wesley is talking to Jane it sounds like she says the security system has logged all the doors instead of locked all the doors. Couldn't quite hear it, need a second opinion on this.

The actors are American. It's "locked" in the scripts so it's just not voiced perfectly I guess. Overall the voice acting should be ok, although there are bits here and there that sound a bit awkward. :wink:
Last edited by fb_joel on Sun May 14, 2006 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Black Vault

Postby Black Vault » Sat May 13, 2006 11:26 pm

Don't forget, "I" should always be capitalized.

Also, I don't recall where, but I do remember some place were it said "Thru" and not "Through".

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat May 13, 2006 11:32 pm

Black Vault wrote:Don't forget, "I" should always be capitalized.

Also, I don't recall where, but I do remember some place were it said "Thru" and not "Through".

Cheers, thanks. I found the latter one; "Access the research facility thru the labs". Will be fixed.

I think I've always capitalized "I", so that's just Zeus's not so careful quoting. ;)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

ZEUS_GB

Postby ZEUS_GB » Sun May 14, 2006 6:39 pm

:oops: My fault, I totally didn't realise I hadn't used capitals.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun May 14, 2006 9:36 pm

I merged the four threads about the grammar mistakes, to make it easier to keep track of them. Please post all the consecutive grammar mistakes in this thread, thanks. :)

(And sorry to jasper for not being able to copy one of this posts, the better-bedder one. Hope you don't mind.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

ZEUS_GB

Level 9

Postby ZEUS_GB » Sat May 20, 2006 10:44 pm

Found one on level 9, it's one of the computer consoles.

Log entry was by James Burrows PHD.

"We have unlimited funds, even!" would sound better as "We even have unlimited funds!"

Zixinus

Postby Zixinus » Mon May 22, 2006 11:06 pm

I think it should be noted that several of the charecters use slang, and that people in their PDA's and such don't always care about spelling and grammer.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon May 22, 2006 11:14 pm

That's true, but we never really went too far with slang, especially after the first mission. With PDAs we opted for a less "real" style and went for clarity, although there are some occasional attempts at making it look real...

Anyways, all text mistake reports are much appreciated.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Black Vault

Postby Black Vault » Tue May 23, 2006 9:21 pm

fb_joel wrote:
Black Vault wrote:Don't forget, "I" should always be capitalized.

Cheers, thanks. I found the latter one; "Access the research facility thru the labs". Will be fixed.

I think I've always capitalized "I", so that's just Zeus's not so careful quoting. ;)

If you want to be picky, when something belongs to something, the subject should always have a apostrophe and an S after it, unless the subject ends with an S, whereat you only place an apostrophe. So that should be "Zeus'" instead of "Zeus's".

I'm a nitpicker...

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed May 24, 2006 12:15 am

Black Vault wrote:If you want to be picky, when something belongs to something, the subject should always have a apostrophe and an S after it, unless the subject ends with an S, whereat you only place an apostrophe. So that should be "Zeus'" instead of "Zeus's".

I'm a nitpicker too when it comes to grammar (especially Finnish grammar). Since I'm not a native English speaker I often forgive myself for some of the mistakes I make but in general I want to write well.

However, while you may be technically correct in not using 's in Zeus, it's not a black-and-white case. I pretty much got brainwashed by The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White. This apostrophe rule is actually Strunk's very first rule. I quote (pg. 1):

"1. Form the possessive singular of nouns by adding 's. Follow this rule whatever the final consonant. Thus write,
Charles's friend
Burns's poems
the witch's malice
Exceptions... Jesus', for conscience' sake..."

The rule makes sense to me. "Zeus's" has more clarity in my opinion so that's what I use. 8) I'd still pronounce it without the extra s, though.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

ZEUS_GB

Postby ZEUS_GB » Sat May 27, 2006 10:35 pm

I've found another one on the loading screen of the mothership part 2 level.

"It seems to have several power connections that keep it functioning. And it sounds like the ship has a mind of it's own..."

The word 'and' shouldn't be used to start a new sentence.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon May 29, 2006 11:15 pm

Thanks, will take a look at that. I don't necessarily agree with the rule but in that particular text it looks a bit out of place, so I'll see if I can change that.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

ZEUS_GB

Postby ZEUS_GB » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:17 pm

In the mines there's a PDA near the terminal you need to fix to open the door. It says "If you read this, there's some ammon nearby, take it and revenge my death." I think it should be ""If you read this, there's some ammon nearby, take it and avenge my death."

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:18 am

But isn't the revenge and avenge just synonyms to each other? Because both mean that you will pay back someone's death or something to that what did it.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:47 am

I've changed it to avenge as it sounds a bit better in that context. But I'd be happy to hear a better explanation of the usage difference.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Black Vault

Postby Black Vault » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:40 pm

fb_joel wrote:The rule makes sense to me. "Zeus's" has more clarity in my opinion so that's what I use. 8) I'd still pronounce it without the extra s, though.

Actually, from what I've heard most people pronounce it with the extra S.

Regarding "Avenge" and "Revenge", "Avenge" is used more when you're going to take revenge on behalf of someone else, like "I will avenge you" while "Revenge" is more like the whole act on taking vengeance itself, like "I will have my revenge on him!".

By the way, will we be credited when all the mistakes are fixed? =D

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:23 pm

Thanks. And I guess we could add a quick thanks note in the next patch readme. ;)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Dark

Postby Dark » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:41 am

Damn Joel they are keeping you on your toes aren’t they?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:32 am

Sure are. But it's all good you know. It makes the game better, and in the best case it gives me a better understanding of English. So I'm not complaining. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Black Vault

Postby Black Vault » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:23 pm

Wow, someone besides me who won't go loco because someone else pointed out the mistakes?

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:38 pm

I played the demo (and loved it!) and noticed there's a "to12" instead of "to 12" in one of the weapon upgrade descriptions. Don't remember exactly, but I think it was the pistol's capacity. This being the demo I don't know if it's fixed in the full or something, though...

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:59 pm

Thanks, all these are changed in the upcoming 1.05 patch (except the Mothership 1 loading screen, because it would've needed a big restructuring of the sentences and thus it's best left like that).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Shadowgrounds”