No 'traditional' multiplayer?

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
sathanas

No 'traditional' multiplayer?

Postby sathanas » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:26 pm

I noticed in another thread one of the devs/admin said there would be no need for a beta test as there is no "traditional multiplayer".

Could anyone clarify what this means?

Does it mean there is no multiplayer in this game at all?
"I'm nothing if not redundant. I also repeat myself" - Richard Fish

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:54 pm

in the teaser trailer it looked like it was gonna be co-op
Game of the year 2006 :D

sathanas

Postby sathanas » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:15 pm

You mean the part near the end where the orange-suited guy is outside fighting the creatures, and you can see a woman fighting with him?

Reminds me of an AI character, she doesnt do much in the way of advancing or avoiding shots. Just stands there and takes the hits.

I guess you dont have to be good at games to make them though, so its possible it was a human player :lol:

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:58 am

well she did move a little, who knows. just a little wishfull thinking

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:58 am

All I can say right now is that we have made some steps forward towards co-op. But it's still not guaranteed, because we have tons of stuff to do, and we want to make the singleplayer experience great before we add co-op fully. We know it's a feature you guys would love, so we will do our best to make it fit the schedules...

Technically speaking, the character in the video could have been another player because we've done some preliminary gamepad tests and can have two players in the game simultaneously... Please understand that this does not mean that co-op is done - there's a lot of stuff that would need to be modified before co-op is official (GUI, player deaths, cutscenes, item pickups, weapon upgrades etc).

Multiplayer as in deathmatch etc, is not going to be in the game.
Last edited by fb_joel on Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:01 am

well, if theres deathmatch or not doesnt make a diffrent to me. And its nice that you listen to your fans and maybe add co-op. Great job Joel :D

sathanas

Postby sathanas » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:40 pm

Yeah, make the single player great, and then if you have time add co-op.

I know we would like the co-op feature a lot, but at the end of the day if the single player is naff, no amount of playing with a friend is going to make it better.

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:48 am

You are totally wrong. Such type of games exist to be played only with your friend. You know the game "Contra" on zhiliton? Your game is the same. It NEEDS co-op, or it will lose half of its fun. And than i will personally give this game 5 out of 10 points. (OK 6, just for the grafix). Because i am tired to see, how often now good games become destroyed by developers, that cannot see and include in their games things, which were so waited from that games. Things, that could make the game a "HIT". And each time i wonder: "Are they blind or something?"
Creators of "Alien Shooter" understood that, and know they are making the second part with the Co-op mode. Their game won't be a "HIT", but at least it will meet all the expectations.
That's all i wanted to say.

Verifier

Postby Verifier » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:25 pm

yeah, coop is way more fun than SP. Especially in a game like this. (*me remembers commandos(?) on amiga. was way cool to play co-op).

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:10 pm

Yup, we're well aware how much you guys want it... and we want it ourselves, too! It'll be at least a few weeks before we know for sure, though.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:37 pm

Hows it going on that Q&A Thread? :D

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:28 pm

Argh, don't remind me. 8) Guess I should do it right now.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:55 am

hehe, i have millions of questions ;)

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:38 pm

fb_joel, I hope you guys take the extra time required to Add Coop, that will be my whole reason for buying this game. I would rather wait a few extra months on the game and have Coop then to see it released with out it. The game looks very kewl and really would shin with Coop.

Thanks and looking forward to your games release.

- Rick

Visitor

Postby Visitor » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:22 am

I'd like to say that this kind of game definitely needs Coop !

Misacorp

Postby Misacorp » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:54 am

fb_joel wrote:All I can say right now is that we have made some steps forward towards co-op. But it's still not guaranteed, because we have tons of stuff to do, and we want to make the singleplayer experience great before we add co-op fully. We know it's a feature you guys would love, so we will do our best to make it fit the schedules...

Technically speaking, the character in the video could have been another player because we've done some preliminary gamepad tests and can have two players in the game simultaneously... Please understand that this does not mean that co-op is done - there's a lot of stuff that would need to be modified before co-op is official (GUI, player deaths, cutscenes, item pickups, weapon upgrades etc).

Multiplayer as in deathmatch etc, is not going to be in the game.

What ever you do, don't rush it. Games don't really turn good that way.

It would still be nice to have Deathmatch, CTF and so on. Maybe in an update/patch *wink wink* :D

Wizard

Postby Wizard » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:48 pm

Misacorp wrote:It would still be nice to have Deathmatch, CTF and so on. Maybe in an update/patch *wink wink* :D

Or maybe in a free expansion pack with new weapons and monsters? ;)
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:38 pm

Got my vote

Quu

Postby Quu » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:25 pm

Joel, just ignore all this blabbering and finish the game with the other ppl in the dev team.
Despite the deadline too and when finished singleplayer, then make the co-op.

This kind of a game would just rock when played co-op with friend on the same pc.
That's something you don't see nowadays much anymore.

This was also just meaningless blabber, it's your game, so do what you will. :D
Aina ei voi voittaa... Ei edes joka kerta.

Misacorp

Postby Misacorp » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:00 pm

I agree, but I'm still saying that a multiplayer option would be awesome. The game itself has the highest priority and then come co-op and multiplayer.

Mortimer

Postby Mortimer » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:57 pm

fb_joel wrote:Technically speaking, the character in the video could have been another player because we've done some preliminary gamepad tests and can have two players in the game simultaneously... Please understand that this does not mean that co-op is done - there's a lot of stuff that would need to be modified before co-op is official (GUI, player deaths, cutscenes, item pickups, weapon upgrades etc).

Hey, just registered because this game looks awesome. And cooperative play in games like this is definitely my favorite way to go, so I've got this suggestion:

You say you've tested with gamepads, which is the traditional way to do multiple players on one computer. Have you considered accepting input from multiple mice as well? So far as I know, no game or application does this, because Windows doesn't handle multiple mice, but if it could be done it would allow the game to be played with full accuracy by every player.

Return to “Shadowgrounds”