Can we borrow music?

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
dragon curse

Can we borrow music?

Postby dragon curse » Sat May 20, 2006 2:32 pm

Hi it is me! (The 1 who said "I will not buy shadowgrounds" But still did!) I am asking that is it ok to borrow shadogrounds music for flash animation that me and my friends are making!? We thougth that "Full metal jacket" would be good for backround music!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat May 20, 2006 10:36 pm

Well we'll have to wait for Ari's opinion on this, but at least from the company side you can do that if you are not charging any money for the flash animation. Send us a link to the finished animation and everything's fine. And some kind of note in the end credits is required too... "Music from the Shadowgrounds game soundtrack, composed by Ari Pulkkinen" or something like that, preferably with a link too.

Note to everyone else with the same plans: In general we have no problem with this kind of stuff, but you MUST ask beforehand. We have to authorize each request separately (the songs are under copyright etc).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

sMull

Postby sMull » Sun May 21, 2006 1:06 am

I have used tons of music making game videos, and as long as i give credit at the end everything is ok.

Jeeds

Postby Jeeds » Sun May 21, 2006 1:10 am

sMull wrote:Why should we ask first? I have used tons of music making game videos, and as long as i am not making a profit and i give credit at the end everything is ok. No need to bother asking.

Well, it is THEIR music, so I think asking for it seems the least you can do if you want to use it. Just be thankful they don't make a fuss about it.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun May 21, 2006 2:01 am

Yeah well it's just because I have no idea how the laws work. Better be safe than sorry you know. Anyway, it is our wish that you ask first before you use anything. :wink:

Edit: Ari just confirmed that the original poster can use the music. I guess that we could allow anyone to use the music for non-commercial purposes provided that there is proper credits given. It would still be nice to ask first or at least notify when things like that are done. Anyways... Hard Rock Hallelujah!
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

dragon curse

Postby dragon curse » Sun May 21, 2006 2:35 am

Thank you from giving us permission! Shadowgrounds and Ari Punkkinen will shine in ending credits! And you have to wait long before we have the animation ready! We have only done some drawing! And if we dont draw fast! I fear you have to wait even the whole summer before we even get change to start animating! To tell you about animation: It is some normal 2D flash animation where 1 guy beats whole bunch of other guys while music is playing! (Like music video) But we arent even sure are we gouing to be able to publish it enywhere! But we have thougth NEWGROUNDS! Thank you again for letting us use the music!

Hedgehog

Postby Hedgehog » Sun May 21, 2006 1:21 pm

fb_joel wrote:I have no idea how the laws work.

http://whatiscopyright.org/

That site has some useful information. A lot of people make mistakes about copyright.
Visit #shadowgrounds on Quakenet!
Click here for a webclient.

sMull

Postby sMull » Mon May 22, 2006 5:52 pm

There is no need to ask them first, mention what you're using in the credits and you're fine.

Hedgehog

Postby Hedgehog » Mon May 22, 2006 7:03 pm

sMull wrote:There is no need to ask them first, mention what you're using in the credits and you're fine.

Bullsh*t, read the link in my previous post please.
Visit #shadowgrounds on Quakenet!

Click here for a webclient.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon May 22, 2006 11:32 pm

Even if it would be allowed technically (and doesn't seem so), we would nevertheless like to ask that everyone who wants to use the music tracks or other such content from Shadowgrounds, contact us first and ask about it. It doesn't take long, and there's certainly enough ways to get in touch (email, feedback form, private message).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

ZcRaider

Postby ZcRaider » Tue May 23, 2006 1:07 am

One of this days, I would like to meet arl. His music is damn near Rightious LOL.

Mad skillz man.....mad skillz 8)

I write music as a small hobby. Heh i use FL 5.0.

I wonder what he uses. Reason? Rebirth?

OMG, i have to meet this guy :)
Neo: What are you trying to tell me - that I can dodge bullets?
Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to...

sMull

Postby sMull » Tue May 23, 2006 1:17 am

Hedgehog wrote:
sMull wrote:There is no need to ask them first, mention what you're using in the credits and you're fine.

Bullsh*t, read the link in my previous post please.

Come on, people don't make music for themselves, they make it for other peple to listen. If i have bought a music album and want to use tracks from it in a video i can do it without asking anyone's permission as long as i don't do it for profit.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue May 23, 2006 12:46 pm

I'm going to lock this thread. I see bad things happening if this copyright argument continues too long. I hope you all understand. :?
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Shadowgrounds”