Dev diary 2

All discussion about Shadowgrounds.
ZEUS_GB

Dev diary 2

Postby ZEUS_GB » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:28 pm

Has everyone seen the latest dev diary on the xmas calendar?

Read dev diary 2

Playing Shadowgrounds from a different point of view was something I wasn't expecting but I think it's a good idea!

What does everybody else think? Good idea? Bad Idea? Wanted a new storyline?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:04 pm

I of course think it's a good idea. ;)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Viking

Postby Viking » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:18 pm

All I can say is Whoo Hoo! and Hurrah! for a second Shadowgrounds!
Is it gonna be an expansion pack or stand-alone? And do we finally get some online play?

Judging by, what I assume, are the couple of screenshots so far it looks a bit snowy... Not much room for shadows there. :D Unless the aliens all come A JUMPING OUTTA THE SNOW AT YOU! Mwahaha! (Turns torch up to very hot setting to melt snow)

LavaBall

Postby LavaBall » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:38 pm

I sure do hope it will be an expansion pack,Yeah.

Matti

Postby Matti » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:37 pm

If it would be original game with only differences of fixed 1st person view and double price, I would buy it :P

What ever, just fix that 1st person view P L E A S E !

Morrin

Postby Morrin » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:35 pm

What's the thing with first person? Like there isn't those enought already.

ZEUS_GB

Postby ZEUS_GB » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:44 pm

To make an FPS out of Shadowgrounds Frozenbyte would have to make the game from scratch. That's something I would assume that Frozenbyte would not be prepared to do.
Check out my retro goodness YouTube channel

Viking

Postby Viking » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:05 am

Yeah, we can't have Shadowgrounds being drowned under the vast ocean of FPSs out there. If it was unlockable as a novelty bonus (even in a not-working-very-well-but-hey-it's-free) kind of way then fair enough.

Matti

Postby Matti » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:03 pm

ZEUS_GB wrote:To make an FPS out of Shadowgrounds Frozenbyte would have to make the game from scratch.

Why would they need to do that? I would be happy with it as it is, except damn mouse cursor goes invisible and I have no idea where I'm shooting! :evil:

ZEUS_GB

Postby ZEUS_GB » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:09 pm

The first person perspective allows you to see through the persons eyes. Shadowgrounds isn't designed for true first person perspective, it's a third person only game.
If they decided to go the first person route then most of the games assets (textures, models, sprites etc etc) would have to be redone.
The asset quality needed in a first person game is a lot higher than in a top down shooters such as Shadowgrounds. If they used the original Shadowground assets, it would look awful.
That all depends on whether the game engine (the thing that makes it work) even supports true first person, which it probably doesn't.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:32 pm

The new Shadowgrounds game won't be FPS.

However, the engine does basically support first-person - it's just not optimized for that. Same with some assets and textures (although a lot of the stuff is very high quality - "too high" for the current camera).

Regarding the mouse cursor, I think it could be brought back somehow (probably with some code change, not a simple script)... I'll try to remember to check it some day.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

ZEUS_GB

Postby ZEUS_GB » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:42 pm

I stand corrected...thanks for the info Joel!

Matti

Postby Matti » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:27 pm

ZEUS_GB wrote:Shadowgrounds isn't designed for true first person perspective, it's a third person only game.

Wrong! There is 1st person perspective, it's just damn buggy.

The asset quality needed in a first person game is a lot higher than in a top down shooters such as Shadowgrounds. If they used the original Shadowground assets, it would look awful.

It isn't that bad... Actually it's much better than some old 1st person shooters, like Quake.

That all depends on whether the game engine (the thing that makes it work) even supports true first person, which it probably doesn't.

Depends how you define true first person. Right now when mouse is moved sideways, Tyler (and camera) turns appropriately. But up-down movement won't move camera, only crosshair, assuming there would be one. Right now there isn't, and player has no damn clue does weapon point towards roof or floor!

ZEUS_GB

Postby ZEUS_GB » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:09 pm

It isn't that bad... Actually it's much better than some old 1st person shooters, like Quake.

I wasn't talking about a game that's ten years old. I'm talking about newer FPS games such as FEAR, Far Cry, Quake 4, UT2004 etc etc.

Depends how you define true first person. Right now when mouse is moved sideways, Tyler (and camera) turns appropriately. But up-down movement won't move camera, only crosshair, assuming there would be one. Right now there isn't, and player has no damn clue does weapon point towards roof or floor!

True first person is seeing through the eyes of the character you are playing.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:44 pm

Well in any case we can agree that playing Shadowgrounds in first-person doesn't really work that well currently. We're going to be very busy in January but I'll see if we could somehow do a quick hack for this...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Geo

Postby Geo » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:44 am

The spin-off idea reminds me of Gearboxx's "Opposing Force" and "Blue Shift," stand alone followups for Half-Life:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life:_Blue_Shift

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life:_Opposing_Force

I think it's a cool idea, I hope all the talented crew was able to do some interesting new environs, beasties and weapons. :) Hopefully that'll tide us over until there's a Shadowgrounds 2 with online co-op. Oh please. 8)

Return to “Shadowgrounds”